Will this boat fit on that trailer?

BWR1953

Admiral
That is the question. :unsure:

I recently purchased a donor [bass] boat for the motor and other stuff. The trailer is very nice with new tires and I'd really like to keep and use it for my MC boat, which has a rusted trailer.

Both boats are 18 feet long and each weigh 1300 pounds. The bass boat has an 85 inch beam, while the other boat has 89 inches, albeit on a much taller hull.

Other than pulling both boats off the trailers and trying to fit the MC boat on the bass boat trailer directly, are there things that I can do or measurements I can take, which will let me know if the MC will fit on the bass boat trailer?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The hull bottom is clearing the wheel fenders O K ? Make SURE you tie down the stern snugly ! So road bumps do not shift the boat to a tire fender !!
👍

BWR1953

Admiral
The hull bottom is clearing the wheel fenders O K ? Make SURE you tie down the stern snugly ! So road bumps do not shift the boat to a tire fender !!
👍
Huh? I don't understand your reply. 🤷‍♂️

I'm asking about swapping trailers.

cyclops222

I thought you had put your boat on the new trailer and was asking about the fit..
I can not help if the boat is not on the new trailer.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The short answer is yes it can be made to fit. The longer answer is do you have the knowledge and ability to set it up properly ? Adjustments will be required and some replacement bunks or brackets will probably be needed. Proper hull support is critical, especially on an aluminum boat !!

BWR1953

Admiral
The short answer is yes it can be made to fit. The longer answer is do you have the knowledge and ability to set it up properly ? Adjustments will be required and some replacement bunks or brackets will probably be needed. Proper hull support is critical, especially on an aluminum boat !!
I have a neighbor/buddy who can do all of that stuff. He's supposed to be coming over this evening and I'll talk with him about it then. It sure would be nice to keep that bass boat trailer. :cool:

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In my opinion, if the chines fit between the fenders it can be made to work.. I personally like my boat as low on the trailer as I can get it. I had a trailer set up to high and had to back my van in till the water near came in the back door.

BWR1953

Admiral
In my opinion, if the chines fit between the fenders it can be made to work.. I personally like my boat as low on the trailer as I can get it. I had a trailer set up to high and had to back my van in till the water near came in the back door.
Yah, I like the boat as low as possible as well. My bud now says he'll be over today sometime. He's putting up fence at his place now.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
One Trailer is likely a Welded Bunk System, not easy to Adjust, and the Other is an Adjustable Trailer. The Photos really show No Details. 'Close' may work for Horseshoes, Grenades, and Nuclear Weapons, but not for Trailer fit...

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
'Close' may work for Horseshoes, Grenades, and Nuclear Weapons, but not for Trailer fit...
And bad breath.
I bought a small boat with welded rollers on the trailer and immediately cut them off to replace with adjustable hardware and bunks. Took some work and some cussin, but well worth it

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mine was a factory trailer that came with the boat from new. It fit well, I just hate rollers. I unhook the boat, attach bow line to my ladder rack and back off the trailer. I find it much more efficient. Any roller I've had over the years required me to get in the water or do the balancing act on the tongue. The second time I went down was enough for me. lol

cyclops222

You have NO idea how much longer it takes to do a trailer with ONLY individual ROLLERS compared to 2 or 4 long boards.

DO we have to do EVERY roller ? :)

All 46 of them ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Trailer battles…:)
I
Loadrite, #5,400 roller trailer. Came OEM with aluminum wobble brackets and black “rubber” rollers.

Black streaks (beige hull) and flatness set in at year five. Had to back in and hit the brakes to get the trailer to roll off the trailer. Replaced all 36 with Yates TPR rollers with teflon bushings in 2003.

No greasing rollers, no black marks, no maintenance whatsoever for the next 20 years of saltwater service. Rollers worked perfectly until I replaced the trailer last Spring for corrosion issues with the frame.

Replaced it with a “drive on” aluminum bunk trailer. Before the peanut gallery jumps in, power loading is the norm around here. Ramps are designed to accommodate it. With one season under my belt with the new trailer, all I can say is I switched from one set of issues to another.

Got my feet and truck wet last year for the first time in 20+ years. Low tide. Had to back truck in almost to the pumpkin to get enough water to load. Saltwater mind you. Would have just backed in normally and hooked the power winch up and pulled it on the roller trailer.

Let you know how the bunks holdup to use in 20 years….lol

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have no issues with bunk trailers, to each his own. I have owned a few over the years with O complaints but same goes for the roller trailers. Bottom line is....proper setup !! I have never had to step in the water to launch or retrieve my boat on any trailer, if I did, I would fix that pronto !!
I typically launch and load by myself, if I have help, they just hold the dock lines while I do the rest. About 95% of the time, I can launch or load faster than any other team of people doing there boat. Setup is everything....if you have an issue loading or retrieving your boat, fix it !! There is always a way unless you have just plain crappy ramps and yes I have a couple in my area which I avoid !! With all the gizmos available to add onto a boat trailer today, not many excuses left for launching problems..

airshot

Rear Admiral
Trailer battles…:)
I
Loadrite, #5,400 roller trailer. Came OEM with aluminum wobble brackets and black “rubber” rollers.

Black streaks (beige hull) and flatness set in at year five. Had to back in and hit the brakes to get the trailer to roll off the trailer. Replaced all 36 with Yates TPR rollers with teflon bushings in 2003.

No greasing rollers, no black marks, no maintenance whatsoever for the next 20 years of saltwater service. Rollers worked perfectly until I replaced the trailer last Spring for corrosion issues with the frame.

Replaced it with a “drive on” aluminum bunk trailer. Before the peanut gallery jumps in, power loading is the norm around here. Ramps are designed to accommodate it. With one season under my belt with the new trailer, all I can say is I switched from one set of issues to another.

Got my feet and truck wet last year for the first time in 20+ years. Low tide. Had to back truck in almost to the pumpkin to get enough water to load. Saltwater mind you. Would have just backed in normally and hooked the power winch up and pulled it on the roller trailer.

Let you know how the bunks holdup to use in 20 years….lol
You can't blame a trailer on low water or no water issues, some ramps just plain stink, no way around it, just try to avoid those ! Years back we had low water issues, I made a 4 ft long extension for my receiver just for backing in to load my boat....better than wading in !!

matt167

Captain
My little boat is on a bunk trailer. Long tongue. I love launching with it… but I have to get knee deep in the water to retrieve the way I do and get it perfectly straight. Never a problem it’s refreshing… I have not launched my big StarCraft yet but I’m sure I’ll come to like the catwalk the trailer has

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You can't blame a trailer on low water or no water issues, some ramps just plain stink, no way around it, just try to avoid those ! Years back we had low water issues, I made a 4 ft long extension for my receiver just for backing in to load my boat....better than wading in !!
Can tell your not a salty......lol

Best ramps in town....West blow for 3 days leaves next to no water on the western side. A three day East blow puts ankle deep water in the parking lot and calf high water on the dock. All part of the game.

#6,000 trailer......a 22 ft. boat on a 29' lg trailer make for a ~7' long tongue. Roller trailer was a 22' boat on a 27' lg trailer ~5' tongue.
Bunk still needs an additional 1 to 1.5 ft. of water to load. Wait until high tide (~6 hrs.) or get the truck wet

The bulk of my boat usage is Feb.- April then Oct.- Dec. Getting wet has never been an option.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can tell your not a salty......lol

Best ramps in town....West blow for 3 days leaves next to no water on the western side. A three day East blow puts ankle deep water in the parking lot and calf high water on the dock. All part of the game.

#6,000 trailer......a 22 ft. boat on a 29' lg trailer make for a ~7' long tongue. Roller trailer was a 22' boat on a 27' lg trailer ~5' tongue.
Bunk still needs an additional 1 to 1.5 ft. of water to load. Wait until high tide (~6 hrs.) or get the truck wet

The bulk of my boat usage is Feb.- April then Oct.- Dec. Getting wet has never been an option.
Right there, no ocean for me, no tides, but wind does make a big difference here on Lake Erie. There have been times when water at ramp was Ok going out, but 8 hrs later not enough water to get to the ramp!! Most of our ramps are shallow so it doesn't take much wind to move the water in or out.