Will idle but not accelerate - Polaris Waverunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstone81

Administrator
I have two 2001 Polaris Genesis Waverunners. Fuel Injected. First time out this year. They bogged down, and now will only idle but not accelerate at all. I think it interesting that it has happened to both. Thinking bad gas.

Here's what I have done to trouble-shoot. I have checked the fuel line pressure. Both are at 20 psi. Even pulled the fuel pump housing on one to inspect, and everything looked fine. Fuel pumps are working. Filters are clean. Air filter is clean. Put in new spark plugs. Throttle cable is working fine. Thinking it was bad gas and clogged the injectors, I put some seafoam in the gas, as well as took off the fuel line and poured seafoam direct into the fuel line. Still just idling, but not accelerating.

So I'm stumped. Is there an electrical module that regulates throttle increase for the injectors?

Any help will be appreciated.

bstone81

Administrator
Re: Will idle but not accelerate - Polaris Waverunner

As a follow up, I resolved my own issue.

As I said in my thread above, my waverunner will start and idle but will not accelerate. So I figured that the problem had to be with whatever regulated the fuel injectors to increase and decrease the fuel flow into the cylinders. So I traced my throttle cable to see what it was attached to. There were two places, one for the fuel/oil mixture, and one attached to the intake manifold. There is a rod going through the three intakes, and opposite on the manifold is a device with a level and three wire leading out of it. I later learned that this device is called the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I learned that this is what regulates the flow of fuel through the injectors.

I swapped out the sensor from my other waverunner, for the one not running, and it fired up and accelerated. I was extremely happy that I found the issue. But, my problems didn't entirely go away. I thought, I just go online order the part, and problem solved. Well, Polaris stopped manufacturing waverunners several years ago, and don't manufacturer OEM parts any more for their waverunners. I jumped on another forum that specializes in PWC's and found that there is a close replacement part that is a throttle sensor for Evinrude. Okay, so all I have to do is call my local Evinrude dealer and go pick up the part. Well, no one carried the part. I finally found an online store that specializes in Evinrude OEM parts. So the part is ordered and should be here in two days.

Man, what a lot of work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.