Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

brysonboat

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
13
After my maiden voyage last weekend(for me and the boat) I am in need of a new recoil starter. Thankfully I was able to start the motor with a piece of rope wrapped around the flywheel or I probably wouldn't even be home yet! My motor is a 1980 25hp johnson j25rlcs, and there is a complete assembly on ebay from a 1978 35hp johnson 35r78r. It looks exactly the same as mine, but I was wondering if anyone knowswhat years/ models will interchange with mine. Thanks for any advice-Scott
 

bslayer

Cadet
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
16
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

comparing motors on marineengine.com., the housing assembly looks to be the same. should inter change with no problems.
 

brysonboat

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
13
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

Thats great news! Thanks bslayer!
comparing motors on marineengine.com., the housing assembly looks to be the same. should inter change with no problems.
 

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
20,826
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

Why can't you repair the one you have ?? May be cheaper.
 

brysonboat

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
13
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

Why can't you repair the one you have ?? May be cheaper.

Boobie- By the time I added up all the small parts I need the used one is about1/3 the price! And I couldn't even find the rope itself on the parts site. Apparently it is 72-1/4" long and cut from bulk stock, but I couldn't see any way to order it. I am going to get a new pawl for my old one and put it back together for an emergency spare.
 

bslayer

Cadet
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
16
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

you mentioning pawls, got me to thinking. the pawls was the difference in the parts break down of the two motors. i am not sure if the 35hp pawls will engage your 25hp flywheel. maybe some one with more knowledge will chime in. as far as starter rope, i just go to store such as walmart or hardware store and pick up some rope in a package and cut to length you need. i believe it is a 5/16" diameter.
 

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
20,826
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up the two different starters and compare part #'s.
 

brysonboat

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
13
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

Well, I just looked up the part #'s and the pawl is a different part #. I guess my next question is can I just change the pawl? The spring part #'s are the same between the two.
Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up the two different starters and compare part #'s.
 

jasper60103

Commander
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
2,055
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

Well, I just looked up the part #'s and the pawl is a different part #. I guess my next question is can I just change the pawl? The spring part #'s are the same between the two.

Boats dot net indicates the "0324755 PAWL,Starter --- PAWL, Starter, PAWL,Starter"
is compatible on 25 and 35 hp between '79 - '84.

Just curious, did your recoil spring break?
Also, the starter rope can be bought from the dealer by the foot.

Its really a fairly easy repair. I did it on my '81 j25hp.

edit: Here's my thread for reference...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=429874
 

brysonboat

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
13
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

The recoil spring didn't break, but the pawl did, and the rope was severely frayed. Also the springs were tweaked. I think I may have tried to start it in gear as the interlock plastic pieces are also broken.
Boats dot net indicates the "0324755 PAWL,Starter --- PAWL, Starter, PAWL,Starter"
is compatible on 25 and 35 hp between '79 - '84.

Just curious, did your recoil spring break?
Also, the starter rope can be bought from the dealer by the foot.

Its really a fairly easy repair. I did it on my '81 j25hp.

edit: Here's my thread for reference...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=429874
 

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
8,902
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

The pawls are different part numbers because they changed the composition of the plastic and made it a little heavier duty, not because of any significant change in design... They'll interchange.
 

brysonboat

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
13
Re: Will a 1978 recoil starter fit a 1980?

Thats what I wanted to hear! So If I get a replacement for my broken one I would be better off with the 35 hp one right? Thanks-Scott
The pawls are different part numbers because they changed the composition of the plastic and made it a little heavier duty, not because of any significant change in design... They'll interchange.
 
Top