Why re-inaugurate?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Why re-inaugurate?

Funny, I don't remember people complaining about Clinton's second bash. Not one little peep.

mattttt25

Commander

i just like how many !!!!! kenny uses in all his posts. we hear ya man.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Funny, I don't remember people complaining about Clinton's second bash. Not one little peep.
That took place in 1993, six years before the first iboats post!<br /><br />
JT, I believe that if JFK had won, a lot of the same people would be on the list. They all want to grease the palm of the winner.
I agree, and furthermore, I don't think it matters who won. <br /><br />And I take back my implication that it's not good business to contribute - that was just stupid. Of course it makes business sense to have the good will of your government. Sometimes influence is the best investment you can make.<br /><br />The company I work for spreads its PAC money around to all the politicians; we didn't contribute to the inauguration because given our current financial distress it would have ticked off too many shareholders.<br /><br />Lot of discussion here about the parties, but I'm really wondering: does anybody else think that administering the oath of office a second time to a sitting president might be an insult to his integrity, like maybe he didn't really mean it the first time? Wouldn't it be cool if W just said, "I already said I would do that! Didn't you believe me the first time? Jeeeez, I can't believe you guys! C'mon, let's get this party started!"

Bondo

Staff member

does anybody else think that administering the oath of office a second time to a sitting president might be an insult to his integrity
He was Elected to a 4 year term.........<br />Tomorrow, He Wouldn't be "Under Oath"........<br />In other words,<br />I believe the Presidency Expires......

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I don't have a particular problem with re-inaugurating; I don't even have a big problem with the money that's being spent. They all do it. What I do have a problem with is the constant, sustained news coverage all day of almost nothing. It preempted Judge Judy early this AM, then Judge Joe Brown. I missed The Price Is Right, all my fav. daytime dramas. Now, as I type I'm missing Dr. Phil and I'm sure I'll miss Oprah as well. Does a 30 minute event rate this ongoing assault by the news media?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea I missed Live with Kelly and that other guy. :D <br />Days of our lives. :mad: <br />Passions :mad: <br /><br />Need I go on? :mad:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> This thread is nothing more than a troll!<br /><br />It was all fine and dandy when ole Billy-boy Clinton spent millions on his 2 inaugarations!<br /><br />This topic is nothing more than a troll, and a waste of cyber space!
I agree it is a troll.<br />You are correct. Actually, Clinton spent 42million in 1997. Add 8 years of inflation, and the total would've been 49.7Million for Clinton's ceremonies!! That comes to 22% more than Bush's!<br />Bush won, is having his day in the sun, and there is nothing they can do about it. They are trying protesting, and the medcia has claimed the world is full of anxiety of this day. I am glad for them.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

They are trying protesting, and the medcia has claimed the world is full of anxiety of this day.
Strange... :confused: I was just flippin thru the channels a bit ago and saw Al Roker (sp?) and the rest of the "ultra liberal NBC media" crew sayin there are no protestors and everything is just grand, glorious, and wonderful at todays inaguration... <br /><br />To what media source do you refer to, 12'r?.... :confused:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

We've had 22% inflation since Clinton was inaugurated???? Those were prosperous years. Something's gone bad wrong.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To answer the question of this thread, this is why.<br />
Limo.jpg

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br />
Originally posted by KKC:<br /> This thread is nothing more than a troll!<br /><br />
I agree it is a troll.<br />
You guys need to turn down the gain on your troll detectors!<br /><br />A. I never complained about Bush re-taking the oath of office, just asked why.<br /><br />B. I never complained about the amount being spent on the presidential balls, just pointed out the potential for influence peddling. Did you forget that the government is chock full of politicians and beaurocrats who aren't George W. Bush, and some of them aren't even Repulican, :eek: gasp :eek: .<br /><br />C. You have no idea whether I complained about Clinton's re-inauguration. I didn't, but I might have if I'd thought about it!<br /><br />D. I admire 12Footer's use of numbers. No, really, that's not sarcasm. Promise.<br /><br />E. I bet no other world leader out there has nine balls! Not even close!<br /><br />F. Party on, dudes!!! :cool: :cool:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> We've had 22% inflation since Clinton was inaugurated???? Those were prosperous years. Something's gone bad wrong.
Well,I'll break it down, and staple my sources to this (sigh) because I haven't yet. I was just repeating what I heard on the radio today ,which was reported to be 22%.<br />"Clinton's inaug cost 22% more than Bush's". <br />Your media could not wait for solid numbers. But the consensus of "best-guesses" have come-in at ;<br />( IOW, it aint over yet)<br /><br />40million for Bush<br />42.7million for you Clinton in 1997<br />Now....Is that 22%? <br />Erum...no. It is 2.7%.<br />AVERAGE Inflation for years 1990-1999= 2.21% per annum.<br />Of which, three count (1997,1998,1999 for those of you in Bawston mass).<br /> 2.21<br /> 2.21<br /> +2.21<br />-------<br /> 6.63%<br />With me so far?<br />yes you are. so far, we have 9.33% thru Clinton's pres.<br /><br />(I feel like I'm doin my frinkin TAXES HERE!!<br />Anyhoo, lettuce procede;<br />AVERAGE Inflation rates per annum from 2000-2003 was 1.57%. Well ,wadeeyaknow...<br />That's LESS than Clinton's riegn, aint it?<br />Ok back to werk;<br />2000 thru 2003<br />1.57% + 1.57% + 1.57% + 1.57% = 6.28%<br />2.7% more initially, plus 6.63% averaged inflation for Clinton's years, plus 6.28% for the<br />4 of Bush's years, equals 15.6%...15.6%????<br />Hey...you're correct! It's not 22%!! My estimate was off by a whopping 6.4% !! Unless my Jethro Bodine 6th grade cypherin is off.<br />Hey---Does anyone want to do my taxes this year for 3% of return?<br /><br /> Sources for figures. Best I could find after being challenged like that. (click this)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

And Jtexas, it's all good, no offense meant or taken. We kewl wit it.<br />But the topic meets or excedes all requirements for "troll". This is why you seldom see a topic STARTED by me. I don't troll. but I'm a barracuda for every one I see. I come highly qualified to distinguish "troll" from post, but not that good at distinguishing intentional from non-intentional trolls.<br /> I'll have to take your word for it.<br />
". I bet no other world leader out there has nine balls! Not even close!"
<br />LOL And they all be brass...Shiny brass!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

12Footer, I checked your cypherin' & think I found the bug: assuming that your inflation percentages and expenditures are materially correct as given, I get 21.3% as the amount by which Clinton spending exceeded Bush's.<br /><br />The sum of the inflation percentages is 12.9, but by summing them you drop the effect of compounding, which brings the inflation adjustment up to 13.6%. And then you added 2.7% but you meant $2.7 million, which is actually 6.75% of Bush's $40 million.<br /><br />Clinton's $42.7 million in 1997 dollars is actually $48.5 million in 2004 dollars, 21.3% ($8.5 million) higher than of the preliminary Bush total.<br /><br />There's probably some rounding in there driving the difference between your original 22% and my 21.3%; in any case my point is not to one-up your math, but to congratulate you on picking up a significant detail that everybody else forgot. The inflation-adjusted difference is substantially greater than the nominal.<br /><br /> ;)

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I heard on the radio tonight that ABC news had posted on it's website that they were looking for a funeral that was being held on the 20th, of a soldier that was killed in Iraq. I guess they wanted to augment their coverage of the inaugration with a funeral procession. Talk about a troll :mad: :mad: :mad:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Back to the original question of why?<br /><br />Yes, the presidency has an expiration date.<br />The term of office expires at noon on the 20th of January.<br />The president for the next term must be inaugurated before noon when the old term expires.<br /><br />When adjusted for inflation, Bush's party cost 20% less than Clinton's second inauguration. :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by carrotsnapper:<br /> I heard on the radio tonight that ABC news had posted on it's website that they were looking for a funeral that was being held on the 20th, of a soldier that was killed in Iraq. I guess they wanted to augment their coverage of the inaugration with a funeral procession. Talk about a troll :mad: :mad: :mad:
Yeah, CS, I saw that too. FOX picked it up, and CBS radio news reported it too (ratting-out thier own brother, man).<br />What bugs me is, they do not even ATTEMPT to conceal thier hatered for bush,or the railroad-job they are pulling on him.<br />Amazing!<br />As for my fuzzy-math... It's all seafoam-induced :) I guess the radio was closer to right,than the figures I came-up with. But the fact remains, they make hey of Bush's donations, but very little was said of Clinton's...The same media that tries to find funerals on innaugeration day, right? Nuff said because I'm getting angry...You wouldn't want to see me angry on this Seafoam stuff. I'm glowing in the dark, and it's a lovely shade of green.<br /> :mad: