Why re-inaugurate?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Does the oath have only a four-year shelf life or something?<br /><br />Heard on NPR this morning that there are nine official "Inaugural Balls" (don't you just love that expression?), and that contributions to them are limited only by the Inauguration Committee's own rules. Unlike campaign contributions which are regulated by law. This year they are limited to $250,000 per contributor, up from $100,000 four years ago. The vast majority of money comes from large corporations and law firms. Didn't catch the actual amount.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Why re-inaugurate?

Bush and the republicans could have solved PR issues by waiving the whole shindig, and putting the $$ into SS or another dollar challenged domestic program. But I'd rather see Bush spend the loot than SKerry. I hear the security costs for the DC police is in the upper millions.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> I hear the security costs for the DC police is in the upper millions.
And what you don't hear much about is that HOMELAND SECURITY is funding most of it. It's monies that were previously allocated. <br /><br />If the DC Police are not there to protect the government personnell, than what are they there for??

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />
Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> I hear the security costs for the DC police is in the upper millions.
And what you don't hear much about is that HOMELAND SECURITY is funding most of it. It's monies that were previously allocated. <br /><br />If the DC Police are not there to protect the government personnell, than what are they there for??
Surely not to protect and serve, DC is a wasteland for crime.

D

DJ

The current costs are estimasted at; $41 + Mil.<br /><br />I agree, a show for nothing. We know who he is and the principles he follows.<br /><br />It seems that certain "groups" have made it their point to disable the inaguration. To them, I say, go find a country where you will be welcome.<br /><br />I don't think you will find one. <br /><br />Let's get some facts straight. Clinton spent $43 Mil for his party. Most of it from -YOU, a taxpayer.<br /><br />Whether you like or not, we're having a party.<br /><br />Go ahead, sick the ACLU against us. We're ready.<br /><br />Bring it on.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Government pays for the actual swearing-in; the Bush Inauguration Committee will fund the parties. They expect to raise $40 million from private donations of up to $250,000 per contributor. Here's an actual list of donors who gave at least $20,000 and amounts<br /><br />As of yesterday, the list includes 53 contributors of $250,000 including ExxonMobil, ChevronTexaco, TimeWarner, Michael Dell, Ford Motor, Bristol-Myers Squibb, lots of mortgage & telecomm companies. <br /><br />This list totals only $24.9 million and I also noticed no one on the list from outside the U.S. - where's the other $15 million coming from? and hey I don't see iboats.com on the list!

D

DJ

Contributors. It doesn't matter.<br /><br />Why is this an issue with this president and none other? <br /><br />I want an answer!<br /><br />It seems a very noisy few are making noise.

Bondo

Staff member

DJ,<br />We Pped on Their Parade back in November, when they Thought they "Had it in the Bag"...........<br />You know, with all the Exit Polls........<br /><br />Well,<br />"They" are going to continue to Whine until We do it again in "08".......<br />Ya, I know,it Won't Stop there Either, But it's the next Whinepoint on the horizon.............<br /><br />I Just Love this quote from JB found in another thread,<br />
Dr. Rice is a credible candidate to be our next President. <br /><br />Hahaha! That would frost the Libs, wouldn't it? The first female, first African descent POTUS (President Of The United States). . . A Republican? Hahahaha!!
:D :) :cool: :rolleyes: ;) <br />Not the Answer, Just a Thought........

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Does the oath have only a four-year shelf life or something?<br /><br />Heard on NPR this morning that there are nine official "Inaugural Balls" (don't you just love that expression?), and that contributions to them are limited only by the Inauguration Committee's own rules. Unlike campaign contributions which are regulated by law. This year they are limited to $250,000 per contributor, up from $100,000 four years ago. The vast majority of money comes from large corporations and law firms. Didn't catch the actual amount.
It has to be done because he was elected President. Same as ever single other President before him.<br />These rules didn't bother you in '92 for some reason. And it's his game, so he can have as many balls as he wants :) <br />I wish I could've sent him a couple bucks for him to celebrate with.<br />Amen on '08 !!<br />"President Rice"....Has a nice ring, and rolls off the toungue, don't it. :) <br /><br /><br />Your hatered for Bush is irrational, and I can proove it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br />Your hatered for Bush is irrational, and I can proove it.
You'd have to proove my hatered for Bush in the first place. :) <br /><br />You forgot to notice I didn't specify the current president; my question was a general one applicable to all the re-elected presidents starting with the original GW in 1793. I know it's traditional to take the oath again. Sorta like renewing your wedding vows, maybe?<br /><br />But I do have a healthy skepticism when it comes to unregulated political contributions. It is a prima-facie violation of fiduciary duty for a publicly-held corporation to incur an expense without some expectation of recieving value in return. What value does ExxonMobile expect to receive in exchange for spending $250,000 to host a party for the president? Would it be some kind of political influence? Quality face-time with the president? <br /><br />Responsible citizens regardless of party affiliation owe a duty to their country to ask these difficult questions, so that government of the people, by the people and for the people shall not perish from the earth!<br /><br />Hey, where's my background music? Oh, Beautiful should have started about the middle of the second paragraph. and the waving flag background? c'mon iboats, get with the program!<br /><br /> :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Given the political climate, JTexas, I aint buying that for one minute. ("responsible citizens regardless" stuff).<br />You're right. I made a distinction to one president...A president happens to be "getting inaugerated" as we type this.<br />Do you still wonder why I refernced his predecessor?<br /><br />I understand your questioning and agree ,we should allways ask them difficult ones....alllways. Except proper timing should be observed, lest some person reply and state that he aint buying that generic question crap for one minute.<br />Your timing speaks volumes here in your original post. The questions you asked are basic.<br /> You bring-up funding for the event. It all does not matter. As for security, thanks to 9/11/01, there can be no higher level of security. It costs us a few million, no doubt.<br />Commerce around Washington will benefit, or suffer greatly. Other effects that cost tax dollars WILL occur....count on it.<br />And the President has many friends around the world, who contributed millions to it. They have the right to.<br />I mentioned my desires here, but----<br /><br />But the real answer to this thread is, this event will take place. NOTHING will interfere with it. The questions leveled-against it are being broadcast globally by our "buddies" in the media, and the intent is clear to a moron. The intent is to at minimum, raise the level of hatered at home and abroad for the one spending so much money on himself, while babies starve...Oh, I understand allright.<br />Don't take my disgust with thisd issue personally, JTexas. These attacks have been going-on from all over the world, since the elections, so it's not a stretch to see a few threads here too.<br />But don't be sucked-in by the French ,who are comparing it to Marrie Antionette (SP).<br />But let them eat $h** with thier WHINE!

Twidget

Commander

JT, I believe that if JFK had won, a lot of the same people would be on the list. They all want to grease the palm of the winner.

KaGee

Admiral

The Ohio State University Marching Band is in the parade today. They had to raise the $70,000 costs to get themselves there. NOBODY paid their way.<br /><br />PARTY AWAY!!! Political correctness be D*****!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> The Ohio State University Marching Band is in the parade today. They had to raise the $70,000 costs to get themselves there. NOBODY paid their way.<br /><br />PARTY AWAY!!! Political correctness be D*****!
061.gif
<br />Hope they bring a nice AMISH Casserole!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

There should be a party for the common man as well, not just the bigwigs. Potluck of course! :) <br /><br />I'm looking forward to the speech on TV. I have the kid's dart gun loaded and cocked. ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> There should be a party for the common man as well, not just the bigwigs. Potluck of course! :) <br /><br />I'm looking forward to the speech on TV. I have the kid's dart gun loaded and cocked. ;)
210.gif
Is that a semi-automatic Dart Gun?

KennyKenCan

Commander

This thread is nothing more than a troll!<br /><br />It was all fine and dandy when ole Billy-boy Clinton spent millions on his 2 inaugarations!<br /><br />This topic is nothing more than a troll, and a waste of cyber space!

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Hope they bring a nice AMISH Casserole!
That would be the GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE served in AMISH BOWLS!<br /><br />Get it right NY. ;) <br /><br /> :D :D