why my 9.8 Tohatsu won't start with pull starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgnyc

Seaman
I finally found this solution by myself, now i restart with 1/4 of throttle and that make it !!!!
next one will be with electric start !!!!

PAscal

gump15

Recruit
Must be in N. The recoil should be locked (inoperative) if in gear.

You do need air, especially if warm, so ReStart (or a little more) is usually best.

In Summer, I might do 1 or at most 2 pulls with choke for a "cold" (hasn't run in many hours) motor. If still warm (an hour or less) probably does not need any choke at all.

Starting technique is important; if you flooded the plugs, you will need to either pull them out to dry, or open the throttle all the way (and no choke) for several -- maybe many -- pulls to dry them. That would be the case for any motor of any brand and any vintage.

Liquid lock would be if the motor was laid on the wrong side, and oil ran into a cylinder. If it pulls OK, that is not the case.

Have you gotten it to start now, or are you still not running?
Okay so say the engine does have liquid lock? I am trying to diagnose a 9.8A3 at the moment and thought it could be the recoil starter lock but not sure yet.
Since it's been in my possession it's been stowed properly. However, pulling the chord to try and start it is pretty difficult. It hasn't started in months and when you do pull the chord it feels as though something is blocking it from freely spinning. There is no electric start on the motor. There was oil all over the engine compartment and even in the propeller housing at the bottom of the lower unit. If there was such a liquid lock, would i have to take apart the whole head or what? Thanks for your time.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Award for resurrecting the oldest thread in a long time! Since there is oil everywhere, and assuming this is a 4-stroke that you have, I can take a wild guess that maybe it was stored in the wrong position and the cylinder(s) is full of oil. Remove the spark plug(s), pull the rope a handful of times, put the spark plugs back in, CHECK THE OIL make sure it still has some, then try to start it. If it starts it will likely smoke for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.