Why engine cut off when increasing the Accelerator?

Asanka

Recruit
Our boat engine did not start for almost 10years, boat engine started fine, also we can accelerate it to the maximum in a neutral position without any issues, but when the boat starts to move, it can only move very slow speed, as long as we increased the speed engine shut-off automatically.
We have changed all the plugs and cleaned the flue lines, but the problem is still the same.

What cloud is the problem?

Engine Type; Mercury 225XL 1996

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop revving it up in neutral.-----Clean the carburetors if it is equipped with them.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Put in a new impeller and do a pressure test on the lower unit after draining the old lube. Refill with new lube.

Welcome aboard.

Asanka

Recruit
Thanks for all the answers, I have cleaned the carbs. also noticed that oil is sucking into the piston. do I need to change the Piston Rings?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???-----Not so fast on your thinking.------If motor starts and idles fine there is nothing wrong with piston rings I would say.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Perform an individual electrical component test with proper instruments : Troubleshoot Exciter Coil, Pulser Coil if having one, CD, Ignition Coil Pack. Electrical components have a lifespan, are not eternal and that's a 25 year oldie having issues only when at load with 0 issues at neutral. One of them seems is working erratically, heats up, shorts and motor misses...

Happy Boating

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you take apart the carbs and make sure all passages were clear? Or did you only spray some carb cleaner in it and call it a day?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Please explain what you mean.------" oil is sucking into the piston "-----What did you observe ?----Or did you see a lot of blue smoke ?-----Is there an oil injection system ?-----Or mixing at 50:1 on it.