Why do people...

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Why do people...

Same reason as JB and BoatBuoy. It never leaves the boat though. Just gets locked in the center console

tylerin

Commander

Coming back from a trip in a friends boat who kept the keys in the ignition.During the 4 hr drive, somehow the key wiggled and started the boat and fried the motor. Rare-yes, Do I always take my keys out-yes

rwise

Captain

key? I turn the toggle switch to "off", as for the other boat its in the ignition, if they want to ask my dog if they can take, go for it!

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Leave the key in the ignition EXCEPT when I am diving...hide it somewhere on boat...would REALLY hate to have boat gone when I got back to surface...<br /><br />"Didn't I park it around here somewhere?"<br /><br />-JustMrWill

QC

Supreme Mariner

I leave the key in and shut off the batteries . . . The battery thing solves the kid issue. If you are really worried about theft turn off the fuel. The only time I take the key out is when I am making a lunch or store stop while out on the boat. Usually don't even then.

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey JustMrWill,<br /><br />My dad met a guy a few years ago who's boat was named "Yellow Fin." He asked if the guy fished for Yellow Fin Tuna and named his boat after his fishing exploits. Nope. The guy used to live in south Florida and his big thing is diving. One day while coming up he met his boat on it's way to the bottom. He surfaced out in the Atlantic ocean an heard a boat motor, so he took off one of his yellow diving flippers and started waving it frantically above his head. The people on the boat noticed it and came over to investigate. That yellow fin saved his life, and thus the name for his new boat.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Key is locked in the center console of the tow vehicle. Just a habit at least with it out I know I'm not powering anything.