Why do I keep doing this to myself? (hint: because I love a challenge)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Try getting one of these here. Called a "weighted blanket." I know it sounds weird but I bought 1 for my son who has disorders and of course for me and my wife. My wife and sons disorders has given me disorders lol! They seem to work.
Do some reading. They are everywhere.
Also working on the boat is therapy for me too!
https://laylasleep.com/weighted-blanket-for-adults/

emoney

Commander
I've seen those things. Looks like they're pretty comfy and I get the premise. Of course, people will start looking at me strange when I start using it at work I suppose, lol.

The replaced Sea Drive bracket has passed it's 5 Day Test. Which is basically me just making sure it's holding the motor in the up position for the past 5 days. I know, that's pretty technical stuff there, but it needs to be shared.

I'll reinstall the lower unit this weekend; finish painting the bracket and the motor; install my new hatch/hatch covers and start prepping the hull for primer, hopefully. Pretty sure there's nothing on the agenda from the "boss" and the weather is ideal. Wish me luck, because I've got to make a path in the garage, as it's getting hard to exit due to all the stuff I've accumulated for this remodel, lol.

emoney

Commander
And he comes down with a killer cold to boot, lol. Didn’t get much accomplished today. Tried to put the lower unit back on to no avail. I was using a ratchet strap pretty effectively but the shift rod twisted on me so I finally just gave up. I’ll wait until I’m full strength. I did get the seating area on top of the cabin fared out and sanded. Got most of the old paint off the windshield frame too. Changed out the fuel fill completely and re-grounded it. That fuel line is old and cruddy so I think I’m going to try and replace it. Thankfully these came with a removable floor panel over the gas tank so it shouldn’t be too hard to do. Just need to source the hose itself. Wish me better luck tomorrow

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea I feel like I got some crap floating around in my system. Blows. Tired a lot lately. But I did get to straighten out the tent mess with all the boat tools etc. The stuff just builds up ya know.
Get well fast!

emoney

Commander
There's an old saying among us country folks; "It you don't want to see something, don't look for it". Guess who that applies to as we speak? If you guessed me, you win... Yay?

As I mentioned, I started to worry about the fuel tank and decided to inspect it. I mean doing a flip is one thing, but I don't want to pass along something that's potentially dangerous to anyone. I'm sure we all know what I found underneath that lid when I really started looking.....wet foam. Not only that, but wet foam and water that smells like gasoline and has that little rainbow sheen to it that we all don't want to see when it comes to the in-the-floor fuel tank. So, now I've got to empty this tank and figure out a way to get it out of the boat. It looks to be original, so 31 years has got to be the lifespan of an aluminum gas tank that the factory made the wise decision to "foam into place". I don't even see any brackets, so I'm assuming they used foam to keep it from sliding.

Oh well, it's just more money and time. I'll get some pics up this weekend hopefully when it get some of the yucky foam dug out and we can get a real look at this thing. The boat's growing on me, actually, and I'm think about cutting the deck out and replacing the strings and the transom while I'm at it. I mean it'll put the launch date back a year and cost me a whole lot more money than the boat will be worth, but if I'm keeping it, that doesn't matter "as much". We'll see when I know how much rot actually exists down there.

I kinda figured this would be coming when it started nagging at me to inspect the tank, so nothing too upsetting at least.
Wish me continued luck.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
if you replace it with a plastic tank get the lined one , if not cabin will always have a very faint vapor smell, if not lined id completely encapsulate with epdm rubber at very least to slow the vapors down, i even heard dupont makes a elcheapo nylon bed liner that sucks for bed liner but perfect for coating the tank to knock down permeation.