Why are over 80% of Dock Chatters Republicans

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
During my very short exposure to this site, it appears to me that so many people in this section of iboats are:<br /><br />(at least 3 out of 4 of the following)<br />Anti Democrat<br />Anti Gay<br />Pro War<br />and Christian Extremist<br /><br />Any idea why? (the rest of the country's stat's aren't the same, and they doesn't necessarily share the same views)

D

DJ

Re: Why are over 80% of Dock Chatters Republicans

Putting labels on people is a the most used tool in the lefts toolbox. "Divide and conquer" seems to be the montra.<br /><br />I am not anti, pro, or extremist.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> I am not anti, pro, or extremist.
Amen brother!<br /><br />River, you need to observe a little more... we are not all alike... far from it.... plenty of disagreement and "diverse thinking" on this board.<br /><br />Just ask JB! ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

1.gif
<br />True, True, True, NOT.I fail to see where this is a problem. Being pro or against any wasn't a condition of participation. So many posts here are funny, lighthearted, and opinionated. Thats what really makes it special. Putting labels on us is NOT necessary. If you don't like what I read, move to another topic. Life is too short.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm! I for one am not anti democrat even though i tend to vote republican most of the time.<br />Not anti gay either,what folks do with their lives is up to them as long as they don't try to push their agenda on mine.<br />There are times when wars are necessary,evil should not be left to run rampant less the risks of being inflicted upon is a price we're willing to pay.<br />Sorry i'm not a christian much less an extremist.<br />What is your point?

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anti-A person who is opposed to something, such as a group, policy, proposal, or practice<br /><br />Pro-Supporting; favoring<br /><br />Extremist-a person who holds extreme views<br /><br />I think my descriptions were appropriate. I didn't consult with the left's toolbox, I came up with them myself. This is simply my query. Its an honest well meant question without any jagged edges.

woodrat

Ensign

Ahem! I believe that many, many negative labels have been placed on me by several distinctly "non-leftist" iboats members during my time here. (Unless 12 footer suddely took a sharp left turn since I last checked...somehow, I doubt that.)<br /><br />Divide and conquer is exactly what folks like Rush Limbaugh work on EVERY DAY.<br /><br />theriver; <br />you are wasting your time and energy if you expect to get anything but a bunch of hostile left-bashing and negative labelling in reponse to these kinds of topics here. If you're talking about boats and fishing, you're probably safe, but stray into politics or religion here, and you will definitely get shouted at! Some of these guys are genuinely outraged and offended by the muslim-tolerating "EID" holiday stamp that the post office has been printing since 2000, if that gives you any idea what the political lay of the land is around here. Not that I'm not happy to see someone else take up the cause of beating some sense into these guys, but I just feel its fair to warn you: you will need a much bigger hammer than you'd expect. ;) <br /><br />BTW, I predict another posting of the red/blue map now that you have mentioned the rest of the country.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Theriver, while you do make some obsene generalizations, I often wonder the same thing.<br /><br />Does iboats reflect all boaters, or has all the "other views" been chased away.<br /><br />Would a dirt bike forum or a car forum lean the same way? My experience says yes.<br /><br />Who knows?<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Come on guys lighten up. Some of you are pretty brutal with your views. I am always willing to compromise on most things. See my ACLU post, if that isnt a compromise, I dont know what is.<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> Anti-A person who is opposed to something, such as a group, policy, proposal, or practice<br /><br />Pro-Supporting; favoring<br /><br />Extremist-a person who holds extreme views<br /><br />I think my descriptions were appropriate. I didn't consult with the left's toolbox, I came up with them myself. This is simply my query. Its an honest well meant question without any jagged edges.
theriver: in the upper L/H corner of your screen next to your name there is a LOG OUT device.<br />Click on it if this site hurts your feelings. :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The river, what are your experiences with other message boards?<br /><br />Ken

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not a political person, at all, kind of ashamed I've never voted, just never got around to it. That aside, I have a brother who works for the INS, in the DC area, and all I ever hear about when he comes up to Massachusetts is "Liberal this" and "Kennedy that". So when the politics came up pre-election, I thought I'd have a little fun with my Kerry comments, and being from Massachusetts gave them some credibility, I guess. I'd say it's closer to 90 percent!<br /><br />I told my dad about this on a recent trip to DC, and the first thing he said was something to the effect of "...all the rich boat owners would be republican because... blah, blah, blah". I had to tell him though, I'm not under the impression you're all rich folk with these trailer boats, and project boats, and Bayliners (Oops I think I did it again!), and.......<br /><br />Go Kerry! Wait, let's start the Hillary thing now.... <br /> :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> BTW, I predict another posting of the red/blue map now that you have mentioned the rest of the country.
Good one Woodrat. Where is that link....<br /><br />I guess I am kinda weird. I roomated with a liberal in my younger years and he and I always disagreed, but were still good friends.<br /><br />A guy here at work leans left, and we're good buds.<br /><br />Ken

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have a point, I had a question. Does anyone know why this board is so weighted with what seems to me to be A) Republicans B) war advocates, C) in reading past posts on gays and gay marriages, there is a lot of anti gay rhetoric on this site!! D) Additionally, while religion is a great thing in moderation, its a little nauseating when piled on thick.<br /><br />Not only are these 4 behaviors not typical of the vast majority Americans, but I can assure you, they wouldn't divulge themselves on a typical "general" web forum.<br /><br />Getting back to my question, why is it that a person who questions the war in Iraq (for very good reason), has no issue with gays (by the way, how many thousand gays do you figure are fighting in Iraq right now?), are the minute few who oppose Bush, and roll their eyes when they read posts of a member conducting a sermon.<br /><br />There appear to be 5-10% of people in dockside chat who may share views close to mine.<br /><br />That was my query/point/question. Nothing too serious.

woodrat

Ensign

yes, and one of my good friends around the neighborhood here is a pro-bush retired and decorated military guy and ex logger/land developer. He and his wife have been unendingly kind and generous towards me, and never once has he felt the need to call me a traitor. <br /><br />Maybe people just feel more free to be uncivil and rude on the internet, since we're not looking at each other in the flesh when we discuss this stuff. But one of my wife's forums managed to get through a four or five page thread about "why do you eat meat?" without resorting to the kind of tactlessness and disrespect that is so common here. Maybe its cuz they're girls...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> ...it appears ... that many people .... Any idea why? ...
my opinion, this appearance is due to the discussion of hot topics that people feel very, very strongly about, and use strong words to convey their opinions. You're getting some exteme responses to some controversial views on some important issues. Bet if we had a big Christmas party (sorry, I meant Holiday :) ) you would find most of the folks to be reasonable, rational, patriotic people who just want to do the right thing.<br /><br />On the other hand, it could be that ken is right, and we've driven all the overly-sensitive leftist and fence-straddlers over to the dirt bike, 4-wheel-drive, and opera-fan forums. But I don't think so.<br /> :) <br /><br />Grab a beer, stick around awhile longer & see what we're really like!

LadyFish

Admiral

Well I can honestly say that I don't fit into any of the above labels, and have been around long enough to know that there aren't many others that do either.<br /><br />Although it may seem that way to you, I beleive most iboats posters (not all) here are a what I would refer to as conservative. Mainly having to do with age, life's experiences, and in some cases locale.<br /><br />I think if you stick around long enough you will find us members pretty open minded on most things. :) <br /><br />Welcome Aboard !

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> During my very short exposure to this site, it appears to me that so many people in this section of iboats are:<br /><br />(at least 3 out of 4 of the following)<br />Anti Democrat<br />Anti Gay<br />Pro War<br />and Christian Extremist......<br /><br />
That's profiling....And Profiling's wrong.

spratt

Lieutenant

tehriver, as was posted earlier, there is a "log out" button available to all users who are disjointed about the subjects and responses posted on this site. Hey, even the Admins are at times disgusted, and then POOF!!!! away goes the discussion altogether.<br /><br />I am a Conservative, Christian, Republican...sorta like what you mention...and it just so happens ath I own a boat, and one day found this part of the board...after getting help repairing my boat! Thank God I found a lot of folks who think and feel as I do, though I know that many do not share my intensity of the Gospel, but to me living the Christian life is not a "religion"....it is my way of LIFE!!! Completely...there is no turning back...when I get into a group, I mention that I live for God, then when folks watch me, they understand why I do what I do...or act why I act....also,, then I do not have to explain to 40 'leven folks who or what i am...perhaps we can even get you to post up who and what you are...bwa ha ha ha ha...fresh meat guys :D :p :cool: