Who's got their garden started....

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Who's got their garden started....

Originally posted by Link:<br /> Why would anyone plant corn? At .10 a ear it takes up too much space! At least in my little garden. Just wondering. ? ?
Well, Link, its like this. Our poor squash plants got so fried last year. We get real hot in the summer. Poor little guys. No shade. So, the corn is the shade,plus we get corn out of it. Its our first try,so we'll see how it works out.<br />Bassy

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I used to plant sweet corn because it is better tasting fresh from the plant. Around here there a lot of farmers that will plant 6 or 8 rows of sweet corn along the edge of the corn feilds. They get what they want, usually 1 row, the rest is up for grabs for free. If we decide to freeze corn I stop at a farmer friends field and load the back of the pickup. Also a couple of farmers kids got together in the summers. They pull their wagon around town selling produce door to door for next to nothing.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey you might be starting something new for your area Bassy. Let everyone know how it turns out.<br /><br />DD yea we blanched, vacuum sealed and put in the freezer a bunch of sweet corn that year. Always amazes me how the flaver is retained when you do that.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Virginia, I have beans and squash started in flats. I already have a few lettuce and broccoli planted. I just hope the darn varmints stay away, or so help me, I'll stand vigilant armed with a .22 rifle! :) <br /><br />Butch A.

ehenry

Commander

With all the rain we've been getting my tomatoes are looking pretty grim. I looked at them yesterday and a number of them are turning yellow and laying down. :( Theres a storm front bearing down on us this afternoon too and its forecast to dump 1 to 2 inches of rain on us. Looks like I might be replanting.