Who works the night shift?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
I'm interviewing for a job that I'm basically guarenteed. It sounds like a really interesting position for me, I'm in IT and this position would be running mock disaster and recovery drills for large customers, rebuilding IT systems in a simulated disaster with loss of hardware, people, or both. <br /><br />The shift is 11:30pm-8:00am Sunday - Thursday. I would work it, come home and sleep, then be up for 5:00 or 6:00p when the wife and kid (2 yr old girl) come home. When they go to bed I'd go to work. <br /><br />How hard is it, coming from the people that do it?

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Who works the night shift?

Its different for sure. I worked evenings (2p-10p) for about 3 years. If I would have been single it would have been great. Things just getting started up good when you get off and you could get up at noon everyday. I worked deep nights (10P-6A) for several years also. As a married man I liked it more than evenings. Most administration is gone so you don't have to deal with them. If you have something that you have to do in the day time you just miss some sleep and do it. You can still work most holidays and spend time with the family. It is a pain to see your family go to sleep and you have to leave. Other bad part is say you are at a party and you know you can't partake in the beverages because you will be going to work in a few hours. I also worked a day shift that was 6A-2P. That was probably the best for me. Now I work 4-10 hour days. I go in at 4:30A and get off ay 2:30P. Everyone seems to think its so great because I have half the day left in the summer. I ask them to get up at 3A for a few days and see how they feel. My best advice is to see how your wife feels. If she is accepting of it then go for it.

one more cast

Captain

I worked swing shift for a lot of years and when I was on the graveyard shift the biggest problem I had was getting enough sleep. Just to much noise and light for me to sleep during the day. Most of the people I knew that liked that shift would stay up until about 3:00 pm and then sleep until time for work.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OMC, that's when you get the ear muffs and black spray paint out. :D

Trent

Captain

I worked for a short while for Sikorsky Aircraft at Night as a inspector....I hated it! Never saw my children except on the weekends. Not a good life for my children... I quit! And have never looked back! Thank the lord!

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm offended by all of this talk of work. Lets fish.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm offended by all of this talk of work. Lets fish. :p

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

well until a couple of years ago i would bet u would be talking alot to me, for your telco continuity issues,frame relay or atm, in nj,pa or delelware, now u be talkin to my colegues in wash.verizon decided they are cheaper. <br /> anyway did it for 8 straight years, got diabetus,sleep apnea, became brain dead, and the quality of family life was down, and it was sooo gradual it seemed normal,procrastination, it was like being retired, but your not, just tired, try it for 6weeks on and six off, the problem is that with IT. is that it is relaxed,non threatening, quiet, almost like sleep. but not, <br /> be carefull.

brother chris

Commander

I've been working afternoon shifts for the past 11 or so years. Usually anywhere from 2pm-2am. <br />Now I work from 4pm - 11:30pm and I love it. <br />I get all day to myself and although I miss the hockey games and events like that, I would not work days unless I get a huge raise. <br />Tell me...who LIKES to get up early in the morning. Not me! Unless, like I said, I get paid huge...then it's okay. <br />And if you are married, just make sure you have a strong marriage. I have had a couple break-ups because of the hours I work. Guess they can't be worth my time if they can't handle the hours I work. <br />Just my .02$

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

11-7am, 6.5 years. Good Luck.<br /><br />Some people say they get used to it, but few actually do.<br /><br />What you have to get used to is:<br /><br />Being tired all the time.<br />Feeling tired all the time.<br />Getting sick more often, and taking longer to get better.<br />Eating to stay awake.<br />Coffee to stay focused.<br />Weight gain.<br />Or weight loss.<br />Sleep all day Sunday so you can work at night, and make it through the week.<br />Now, how to sleep with all that coffee in your system?<br />Get to sleep, then you better hope you don't wake up to go to the john, cause its tough to get back to sleep.<br />On the days you are most tired both physically and mentally, your daughter will be home sick, have a doctor or dentist appointment, or will have a "snow day". Or, you will have an appointment, or the car has to go in, or the furnace repair guy shows up 5 hours late.<br />What wakes you up?<br />ups man<br />garbage truck<br />phone calls<br />dripping faucets<br />wind<br />birds singing<br />hearing the click click of the answering machine<br />kids outside<br />lawnmowers<br />clocks ticking<br /><br />Friends will stop calling you and stop making plans, after a while.<br />Your attitude, demeanor, mental acuity, etc, will all suffer.<br />You WILL be irritable and cranky. Many people will think you have become a prlck.<br /><br />Need I go on?<br />Many studies have proven and documented the health effect of the graveyard shift. They have actually documented the shortened lifespan, in years. The longer you work it, the sooner you die.<br /><br />Had several friends get in auto accidents while driving home.<br />Slow to respond to normal traffic situations.<br /><br />Left work one day. Myself and co-worker both stopped at gas station. He leaves, I leave 10 seconds later. We drive 2 blocks and he falls asleep and drives into parked semi at 40 mph.<br /><br />His body was awake, but his brain was tired and turned itself off.<br /><br />Will I ever do it again? Not if I can find a way not to.<br /><br />If you can try it for 6 months, and then have the option to get out, maybe try it. If you have to switch companies and give up what you have, better think about it real hard.<br /><br />Take note of what wajajaja says above. It is a slow and gradual change that takes over your mind and body. <br /><br />I currently work in a plant where many workers have come off the graveyard shift, and come to my shift to work. The biggest things they comment on are<br /> 1- how good their body feels, they forgot what it felt like to not be tired.<br /> And 2- They are not as edgy and grumpy. <br />And 3- "everyone on this shift is so nice".<br /><br />But don't let me talk you out of it :)

Link

Rear Admiral

what roscoe said... BTDT dont want to try it again

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

OK, to naysay most of the people here. I happen to LOVE working nightshift. I don't need an alarm to get out of bed. Gee, that means I got enough sleep! I don't try to switch over to a dayshift schedule on my days off. I will switch to a swing shift though and sleep till 11 or 12 and then get up and go at the day. I don't usually have the tired feeling. I work a 3-2-2-3 schedule so I see my family plenty. <br />We work 12 hour shifts and rotate from dayshift to nightshift every 3 months. I worked an office job and had to work dayshift for 2.5 years straight. I HATED it. I am not a day person. I am more like Brother Chris up there. Give me my nights. Some people never adjust. The key is to fully adjust, not flip-flop to a day schedule on your days off.<br /><br />AK Chappy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

WORK is a 4-letter word, and should be "starred-out" here. I get-around this by spelling it with an "E".<br />As for the night shift, I did it for years, and even moonlighted (no pun intended) for many more.<br />It does take a certain type of personality to floruish under flouresent light for sure.<br />Ask yourself these very important questions;<br /><br />"When do I do my best thinking? Night or day?"<br /><br />"When I take a vacation, or am sick for a week or so, do I tend to start staying up at night, and sleeping durring the day? Or do I sleep at night as allways?"<br /><br />Most career "children of the night" tend to be night-people to begin with. It's a downright prerequisite .<br />If you have trouble keeping your eyes open on overnight fishin trips, don't try to werk nights.<br /><br />I now werk an oddball shift. I'm here at werk now, waiting to punch-in at 5:30. I punch-out at 2pm. I love this, because I beat the rush hour traffic, and only miss primetime TV (of which I heard, has become a series of survival shows). Shoot!! I could write a book on survival. :)

FSHKPR

Ensign

i did a swing shift for 15 years. nights was okay better than the evening shift. 10 pm till 6 am i would sleep as soon as i got home till about 10 or 11. then have the whole day and lay back down about 6 or 7 till 9. wasnt bad but still like working days the best

KRS

Banned

My dad worked it for 16 years (police officer) while us boys grew up. He was always tired and never attended any functions with us (I am not complaining).<br /><br />The time we did spend together was hunting and fishing.<br /><br />Make sure you have special time for your family.<br /><br />Suddenly that neighbor who's dog barks at every car during the day.... will become a big problem for you. Garbage truck in the alley, HELLO!

Stratosfied

Ensign

I worked the shift you are talking about for 13 months in a row at one time. Went in Sun night at 11, and worked off Friday at 7. Back then, being single, I would sleep on Fridays till about 12, and then go about my business. For the last 14 1/2 years, I work the southern swing shift. That is we go in on Wed night at 11 and work off Wed morn at 7, off until Friday at 3 work off 3-11 on Thursday at 11. Off until Sat at 7 and work off on long weekend Fri at 3. We are off one weekend a month and I hate 3-11. Graveyard, well I have always liked it. I need to get 5 hours of uninterupted sleep and I can make it ok. Just my thoughts.

one more cast

Captain

If you try it and hate it will you be able to get off it? If so give it a shot and see what happens.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I've been working mostly night shift for almost 10 years. I must say I love it. I have never beena morning person, now I have an excuse. Part of it is my job, the excitement is at night and I relate to the poeple out at night better. It goes beyond that for me. I just like the night. I work 6P.M. until 6A.M. before this I worked 8P.M. to 4 A.M. Now I have the option of taking calls for 4 hours of my shift, so I am usually home by 3 or 4 in the morning. <br />My kids are 18months, 3 and 4. It works great for me. The days my wife is home, she works substitute work, I get up around 11a.m. and spend the day with my kids until 6 or 7 when I go to work. The little ones go to bed at 7, the oldest at 7:30. I usually take one hour on call until I get them off to bed. This way I only miss about 3 hours of their day.<br />Every 3rd week I work day shift. I hate this shift because I go to work early just after the kids get up. I get home at 6, by time I get supper get the kids bath and get them off to bed by 7, I miss so much of their day. <br />My job is a little different though, I don't have a comute to work. I just walk out and get in my car and I am at my office. <br />I agree with the above too about being tired and sick all of the time. I see people in my office trying to start night shift. They still have this feeling they need to be up and going during the day, so they don't sleep well. Society has told us all our lives we need to get up in the mornings and work all day. This interupts sleep more than a person would imagine. It is hard to sleep days too, with people moving around and everything. I am a very heavy sleeper so it doesn't bother. I also have a basement room so it is quiet and dark. It is hard for friends and famiy to understand the night shift workers. Not only do you sleep during the days, after a while you will never sleep nights again. If you do this, don't even try sleeping nights with the family on days off. Most night shift workers burn out when they try to go to bed with the rest of the world on their weekends off. About the last day off they get their body switched around to day shift, just in time to go back to nights. Those late nights are great for working on the boat and other shop projects because I don't feel guilty about not spending time with the family. <br />Days I take my oldest to pre-school work great too. I either stay up and have breakfast with her, or I get up early and eat with her then walk her to school. Then I go home and sleep until time for her to get out of school. <br />It is hard if all of your friends work days, they want to go out and do things at night. <br />Talk to your wife a lot before accepting the job. It will wear on her never going to bed together. Make sure if you do it to make time to talk with her. I was surprised how many nights we sat up talking before falling asleep. I do miss that.<br />There are benefits though. I can go shopping with the family any day I want to, I can go to menards during the day without taking time off any time I want to. I can go fishing and boating any day during the afternoon, I can miss a little seep so my wife can work without paying day care, I have never missed a doctor appointment for my kids all their life without taking a day off. <br />Talk it over with your family. If you do remember you will have to keep the night schedule every day, even days off or else you will burn out fast. I have the choice what shift I want to work since I make the schedule. I am used to nights, and like nights better but it is not for everyone.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Worked it for several years when the kids were at home. It is a pain for sleep. Now on days, and would rather be unemployed than work 2nd or 3rd. I'm too old.