Who is an old MOPAR guru?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Back in 1953 I helped a buddy install a DeSoto "Firedome" hemi in his '49 Ford. About all I recall about the engine is that it was rated at 160hp and it went like stink for 1953.

In that same period there was a hemi used in Dodges. I think it was called the "Red Ram". That is the engine I am interested in. My recollection is that it was only 4 liters, 244cid. Is that true? Was it a smaller, lighter block than the Firedome and 331cid, 180hp Chrysler Firepower or just smaller displacement in the same block? I do remember that Dodges were strong in street stock drags in those days.

Seems to me that if that engine was a "mini" hemi it would be a good starting point for for a non-extreme street rod.

Who has experience or memories?

Coors

Captain
Re: Who is an old MOPAR guru?

Hardcore Mopar here; have a 1946 ford p/u with a 383 dodge and 727 torqueflite; 1970 Duster 340; 1999 dodge Ram, and they all can kick as&.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

My first car was a 54 Dodge convertible, stick with the hemi. It was black with a white top with red & black interior - a runnin machine and an eye catcher for it's day.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have your answer, but I was going to refer you to allpar.com, but someone beat me to it. I found that site to be tremendously helpful (when I owned a Dodge - which meant I had a regular and ongoing need for help diagnosing and repairing the damn thing).

Another great site is hotrodders.com - tons of knowledgeable users there as well. I'm sure you'll find someone at either site who has the info you need.

rwise

Captain

JB I have a 1954 Red Ram hemi, you still got me email addy? The thing looks pretty massive for such a small motor, even with just a 2 brl carb.
2004 crysler sebring
1984 dodge truck 318
1974 Pace arrow 440 (dodge)
1965 Baracuda HP273 4 speed
1954 coupe Red Ram Hemi (reverse is out)
1938 plymouth club coupe
And to think I have thined down. I spose you could say I am a mopar nut.

JB

Lost my Email addy book the last time my 'puter crashed, RWise.

I know that the 331 cid Firepower Chrysler hemi weighed about 700#. Do you have any idea what the Red Ram weighed?

rwise

Captain

I have no idea what it would weight in at, but it looks heavy! I think it is 244 CID but those heads are huge! email is r54w04 (at thingy) yahoo (dot goes here ;) ) com

JB

I thought about the Daimler, jeeperman, but considered it too rare to have a chance of finding one.