Who got burned?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who got burned?

Ladyfish,<br /><br />I dont know the details and degrees of burning how much care he took etc. I agree there is lots of pointless suing and too much political correctness rather than whats in the best interests of the whole family. Its always hard when the parents have split up because as pointed out by others there can be other motives. Enjoyed the discussion though! <br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's the whole world's fault for letting it get to this stage that we are at.<br /><br />Everyone wants to sue you for anything.<br /><br />You look the wrong way and someone wants to sue you.<br /><br />I could think up a lot to sue people over if I wanted to but I was not raised that way.<br /><br />It all boils down to the all mighty dollar and the kids are put in the middle of a broken relationship.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ive just started proceadings against you SBN as your post caused me great distressed that should be worth $50,000 ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> Ive just started proceadings against you SBN as your post caused me great distressed that should be worth $50,000 ;)
Well good luck pal, I just filed chapter13 and you can't touch none of my belongings now.<br /> :p :p :p

Fly Rod

Commander

:) The father must have taken it litterly about the news report about kids not getting enough vitimin D from the sun and should be out there longer!!! He must have missed the part about "For only about ten minutes!!!<br /><br />On the serious side!!!<br /><br />You would think that adults would know better!!!<br />This guy is difinitly at fault!!<br />Abuse??? Is there a record of this family and abuse??? <br /><br />Also could they afford sun block??? What I mean is, some people don't have enough money to eat, let alone buy other things that may feel is none essential!!!<br /><br />I'm not trying to find an excuse for this guy!!<br />the news media does not always tell the whole story!!!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Child custody battle..<br /><br />been there....my ex would try things like this...<br /><br />take them to the er after every visitation for diaper rash (which there was none), runny nose, you name it, after every visitation they went to the er to "prove" that I was an unfit father.<br /><br />did her no good. she almost lost custody over it (I needed 10 out of 12 juror), I had 9 on my side. (and this is in a small conservative town where kids always live with mom).<br /><br />This woman probably had an axe to grind. I've been there!

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys, haven't been around for a while. Seems to me like this was just a terrible accident. Everything is so backwards. If the guy had actually intentionally abused the kid he would have been made to go get training and a little counseling and everything would have been fine until he did it again. In this case he didn't intentionally abuse him and he'll probably rot in jail

JB

Hmmmm.<br /><br />I think "mentally disabled" makes a lot of difference.<br /><br />This is not a civil suit, frivolous or otherwise. It is a criminal prosecution.<br /><br />In my view, the boys lack of ability to take responsibility for himself and understand the hazards of over exposure makes his chaperone, Dad in this case, responsible. That is neglect.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Then it is neglect to let your kid ride a bike w/out a helmet (mine do because I say so) but some would look at that as neglect.<br /><br />we never wore helmets, we rode in the back dash of the car, we went barefoot everywhere in the summer.<br /><br />Yes, the father should have had more sense to apply sunscreen regularly...but a criminal...I think not.<br /><br />This is a very sore subject with me since my ex was trying to prove me unfit and it was all a vendetta to get at me beause I left her (even though she told me she was looking for something better).

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I think JB nailed it on the head. If the child was not mentally disabled, I don't think there would have been an indictment. <br /><br />Yes, it's entirely possible that the mother is insisting on pressing charges, but that itself would not be the determining factor. I can insist that authorities go after and arrest my ex for driving without a license, but they probably won't. I don't think you can pinpoint the mother as the sole cause to the charges.<br /><br />Should he be convicted? That's tough to say, I don't know the extent of the burns or the circumstances surrounding it. Did the father truly apply sunscreen, or is he lying about that? Did he just get drunk and left the kid to fend for himself, or was he with the kid the entire time?<br /><br />If he is a caring father, he applied sunscreen once, and was playing with his kid for most of the day, I'd say it was just a simple mistake that he didn't know he needed to re-apply, can you convict a man of stupidity?<br /><br />On the other hand, if he is lying about applying sunscreen in the first place, and he went to get drunk with his buddies and left the kid to fend for himself all day long, then yes, he should be convicted of neglect.

SoulWinner

Commander

Ok, I'll bite.<br /><br />Obviously, the kid got burned. Not knowing anymore about the situation, I would say that also the father got burned. Now, if this goes to trial, I'd the local tax payers up there will get burned. Winners in this? None.....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yep SW, we are always the losers in these stupid lawsuits.

JB

NOT a lawsuit, SBN, NOT.<br /><br />Part ex-wife wanting to punish Dad and pushing the Cops.<br />Part public paranoia about child safety.<br />Part public insistence that any unfortunate event has someone to blame who must be punished.<br /><br />It's the COPS bringing CRIMINAL CHARGES of child abuse.<br /><br />Sounds to me like neglect, but not abuse. Neglect is failure to do something. Abuse is aggressive acts in my view. The law may not agree with me.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Anybody here had skin cancer yet.?<br />How many of you have to do the 6 monthly visit to the quack to get all the spots checked, and if suspect, then either treated with the cold stuff or the knife. <br />Sun is dangerous, and you don't need too much to often.<br />It is so fierce here we wear special weave clothing that stops the sun from burning you through it. Wife still has permanent bra marks, and can only prevent them from not wearing them.(Suits me.. School kids are not allowed out to play unless they have regulation hat. <br />Our youngest had a tan at 4 months of age.<br />It is down right dangerous and it was the fathers job to cover the kid up right from the start. <br />Whether you charge him or not, I don't know. Here we would consider the Father mental retarted for being such an idiot and not knowing better.<br />Then again, "horses for courses".<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by JB:<br /> NOT a lawsuit, SBN, NOT.
Maybe not yet, but still wasting the tax payers dollars with this.<br />Then if he gets convicted, look out, lawsuit city then by the wife.<br /><br />He is guilty of, like many has said, not using good judgement.<br /><br />I don't think he did it intentionally, if he did, then yea, hang him up by the short hairs.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

JB we taxpayers of the Great State of New Jersey pay for the Court room, the Prosecuter, the Judge, the Public Defender, So It doesn't have to be a law suit to waste MY money, Just a overeager prosecuter.<br /><br />Straight from the Press of Atlantic City.<br /> http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/cape/052604INDICTMAY26.cfm <br /><br />According to the indictment, which identifies the boy as R.M., McKelvie took the 12-year-old to the beach July 20. The grand jury found McKelvie had custody of the boy at the time and that he failed "to apply enough sunscreen causing severe sunburn to R.M."............<br /><br />She described them as large, bleeding blisters on the boy's body including his back and face.<br /><br />After the day out, the boy's mother, who has legal custody of him but was not on the beach, took the boy to a hospital emergency room and then reported the incident.<br /><br />Hoerner said such cases are not common, and the burns in this case were so extreme that her office decided to prosecute the case.<br /><br />If convicted, McKelvie faces as long as 18 months in prison, Hoerner said..............<br /><br /><br />In reading this it sounds like the father missed some areas, And I know for a fact that blisters take time to form, usually overnite, I think this whole thing is BS. What's next charges for feeding you kids Fastfood? It's neglect not healthy for them they will become over weight. Sheesh!

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

and again , lets see what happens here.<br /><br />Baby sent to burn unit for sunburn <br /><br />Posted Friday, May 28, 2004 by Webmaster<br /><br />By BRENDAN BERLS<br />Herald Staff Writer<br /><br />FREDON — A Stillwater infant was sunburned so badly on Thursday that she was flown by helicopter to St. Barnabas Medical Center, in Livingston, for treatment at its burn unit.<br />The name of the baby girl, who emergency workers said is eight months old, was not immediately available, nor was an explanation of how she came to be so badly burned.<br />Fredon Rescue Squad Captain John Richardson — who is also the township’s mayor — could say only that the girl’s sunburn was “sufficiently severe” to warrant calling in the medevac.<br />Members of the Stillwater Rescue Squad were the first responders to the medical emergency, but called in Fredon for assistance. The Fredon Fire Department and an officer with the Stillwater police were also present at the helicopter’s landing site, at Lodestar Park.<br />The helicopter, bearing a State Police insignia, landed on the infield of the park’s baseball diamond just before 6 p.m., interrupting a girls’ softball game. Several dozen spectators gathered around the edges of the field; some applauded as it landed, apparently unaware of what was going on.<br />The baby, wrapped in what appeared to be a blue blanket, was carried aboard by emergency workers, and the helicopter lifted off again after about five minutes.<br />Michelle Hess, of the Stillwater squad, remarked afterward that the front of her uniform was drenched. She explained that rescue workers had doused the child’s burns with water, which is one of the few burn-treatment methods available to volunteers before paramedics arrive.<br />According to the National Center for Environmental Health, a doctor should be consulted if a sunburn affects an infant younger than one year of age who shows symptoms of fever, fluid-filled blisters or severe pain.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

wajajaja, infants are a totally different matter compared to children age 12. They burn faster because of their skin not being weathered and it being newer. And everybody knows you do not expose infants to prolonged exposure to sun ie more than 15 mn. The criminal proceedings in Cape May is because the father missed some areas with sun block.