White Smoke😑

3ric

Seaman
seems you said it died and produced white smoke.
"But when I put it into gear or accelerate, it will die and produce lots of white smoke."
now you say it produces white smoke at idle and and then dies
which is it?

And I have a hard time believing you cannot see where the white smoke is coming from on the motor

3ric

Seaman
Sorry if I wasn’t clear, kinda both. It produces white smoke at start up (and a little blue, but I should note that I have to open the throttle all the way to start it and then bring it down quickly), but then only produces a small amount at idle, then as it dies which is normally because I give it some throttle and the. It then produces much more white smoke. After it dies it will studder a few times and try to start but fail, and eventually with additional cranks will not fire at all.

I have trouble telling where it is coming from because it is producing the copious white smoke mostly when I am firing it up or trying to keep it from dying. And the couple of times I have done this I was not focused on where the smoke was coming from and it takes a few inches to condense so it hasn’t been obvious. But I will probably have time to crank it over a bit tomorrow and I can have the wife and kids all watch with me and with more eyes maybe we call get a better read on where it comes from.

a friend suggested that I run it for 5-10 sec without water to see if I get any white smoke at startup. That goes against all I know to be sane in this world, but maybe you all can validate his suggestion?

3ric

Seaman
So I put the motor on muffs and in a trash can and started her up. The smoke is definitely coming from the exhaust, both out the prop and the hole at the top of the leg. For some reason it was running a bit better than it has, and I couldn’t get it to stall. Which is weird because it’s about 10-15 degrees cooler than it has been. It was a different gas tank and gas, as I dumped the one from to boat to check for water, but I did not see any water in that old gas. But I really don’t know what I was looking for other than what I saw in the you tube video.

I took a picture of the smoke. One on muffs and the other in the trash can. This is running at idle. There is a 5-10 mph breeze. Note, when it stalls, it’s much worse.

Attachments

• 10092DD1-8D61-429E-9095-08B45891C146.jpeg
    10092DD1-8D61-429E-9095-08B45891C146.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7

3ric

Seaman
So I put the motor on muffs and in a trash can and started her up. The smoke is definitely coming from the exhaust, both out the prop and the hole at the top of the leg. For some reason it was running a bit better than it has, and I couldn’t get it to stall. Which is weird because it’s about 10-15 degrees cooler than it has been. It was a different gas tank and gas, as I dumped the one from to boat to check for water, but I did not see any water in that old gas. But I really don’t know what I was looking for other than what I saw in the you tube video.

I took a picture of the smoke. One on muffs and the other in the trash can. This is running at idle. There is a 5-10 mph breeze. Note, when it stalls, it’s much worse.

Attachments

• CA4B0DB1-A832-4004-860A-B25439FB6711.jpeg
    CA4B0DB1-A832-4004-860A-B25439FB6711.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
In both post there is no H2O ejecting from water pump indicator... could be getting hot at low speed

3ric

Seaman
So…. I took the boat down to the boat ramp today, so I could put it into drive and reverse, which usually kills the motor pretty quick and produces copious amounts of smoke. It ran great. All the typical things I did that would kill the motor would not kill the motor. It still has the white smoke coming out the exhaust though, as you can see in the pics.

I am thinking I had some water in the gas or some bad gas. Like I said earlier, I am very careful about fuel quality and looked for water in the old gas, but today’s run on a different gas tank would suggest that I missed something. I will take it out Thursday and give it a real test drive to make sure.

3ric

Seaman
In both post there is no H2O ejecting from water pump indicator... could be getting hot at low speed
You mean the pee stream? It flows, but the little hole started to clog recently and I haven’t taken the time to in clog it. I just shove a wire up it for a sec and it pees just fine for a little while. Yes, I know , I need to take care of that.

3ric

Seaman
I agree, why is the indicator not showing the water pump is actually pumping water
Pee stream is plugged, it unplugs very easy with a wire. I just haven’t taken the time to get whatever debris out of it. But the pee stream is strong

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Pee stream is plugged, it unplugs very easy with a wire. I just haven’t taken the time to get whatever debris out of it. But the pee stream is strong
from what you are saying seems like there is a lot of something in there that keeps plugging it up

3ric

Seaman
from what you are saying seems like there is a lot of something in there that keeps plugging it up
Either that or one little piece that I just push out of the way and then it just moves back. If I took the little plastic nozzle out and just ran the motor for awhile to flush that piece out, would the back pressure be reduced to any degree of significance that might hinder cooling?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I usually blow compressed air up it while idling on the muffs hoping to push it around and out with the normal cooling water flow

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Would there be a fuel/ water separator somewhere on the fuel line to the original tank that may be full of water?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my hometown all the vehicles spew out " white smoke "------Just in winter months.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the water pump's peeing indicator keeps clogging ,better remove the rear rubber hose side that connects to the crankcase's small tube, insert fully in/out the provided cannula that comes attached with the Carb Cleaner can several times in a row, squirt shots of the product used, let soak for at least 15 minutes, will help dissolve the partial clog, start the motor, should pee much better...

Happy Boating

3ric

Seaman
So, I finally had the chance to test drive. It is actually running better than ever. It must have everything to do with the bad gas.
The tank I was using before had a manual air vent, I had failed to close it several times over the past year. Could that have caused condensation? I have just switched over to my spare tank that does not seem to have a vent valve, or maybe it’s built into the cap.
Either way, thanks for all the help, especially Sea Rider. I guess my neurotic fuel methods were not as comprehensive as I thought. I’ll get that pee port cleaned out as you suggest