While these #'s are fresh on my mind, vapor lock issues?

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
got a deal at harbor freight for a 29.99 ir temp gun. to make along story just a little long. i've had 3 episodes of possible vapor lock out of 15 times on the water in last 12 months and its always the same old story. I turn it off and on 5-10 times a day for 2-3 minutes with no problem but on the one time i let it sit for 1 hour, it doesn't start and takes at least another hour to start it again. on last trip, i never turned off blower, opened engine hatch, let it idle 5 minutes before turning off, ate lunch swam and 45 minutes later....didn't crank.
on a side note, my temp gauge ALWAYS shows 170-190ish after 10 minutes on the lake depending on idling or pulling skiers.
so today, i decided to buy a ir gun and check temps. after running on muffs for around 17 minutes at 1k rpm, alternator is hottest part so far at 148, followed by the front driver side hose going into thermostat container at 147 with t stat housing at 128, the other 3 hoses were from 112-133. various hoses including fuel lines were at 90-97. at top of each riser it varies between 113-122 on driver side and 101-123 passenger side on the manifold it was 128 driver and 113 passenger and those temps fluctuated averaging around 117. not sure of the name ( right underneath thermostat housing) but i believe its the water pump housing at 130's.

it did dawn on me that in my impatience:rolleyes:, i sometimes have quickly turned the boat on without letting the fuel pump prime and the alarms to go off. the more i think about that the more i think on last occassion thats what i did. could that possibly be a problem on not cranking???

2000 sea ray 5.0mpi that runs and cranks perfect 95% of the time, its that dang 5% that makes me want to blow it up

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: While these #'s are fresh on my mind, vapor lock issues?

Maybe some clarification.

Cranking = Starter turns engine

No Crank = Starter does NOT turn engine

Cranking no start = Starter turns engine, engine does not run

If it's not cranking it's an electrical issue, if its not starting you're missing one of the three ingredients.