Which sib for big whitewater? $3000 Budget

Speaker

Cadet
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, found it while researching inflatables. I want to ask some advice.

I am a full time contract boat operator (boatman) in the Grand Canyon hired to drive large and small boats for the USGS during research trips. A few times a season I operate a 16' Achilles Su-16 with a Honda 50hp for fisheries research. I've come to like these boats and would like to purchase a similar craft for private use.

I am looking for a 14' - 16' boat that will accept a Honda 50hp but could also be powered by a Honda 30hp. I can't afford a new Achilles. I have looked at Saturn, Mercury, Defender, and JP Marine. Saturn seems to be by far the most affordable, but I am unsure of the longevity of Saturn's construction (ie, i feel the transom may just tear out suddenly). Mercury has an affordable 14' Hypalon model. But I am starting to learn toward's JP Marine's 15'5" because of the thicker material.

Does anyone own any of these larger sibs that can provide some input on price, and durrability? Thanks!

Lava%u002525201.JPG
Lava%u002525202.JPG

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Which sib for big whitewater? $3000 Budget

Hi there Speaker. You can't beat the Achilles for that purpose. I have a 14' Saturn that I have been very happy with. I have myself taken it on one private trip Lee's Ferry to South Cove and it did perfect with an 18hp Tohatsu. The boat is 5 years old and still going strong. It has the double thickness material where it counts but would not hold up to a scrape with the sharp limestone you get down there. Avoidance is key, but not hard on that river in a boat that maneuverable.

You're pretty brave taking the right run in Lava in that thing. One little mistake and? :) Cool pics!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

JP Marine would be a good price option, thick PVC fabric with extra fabric reinforcements under tubes. You definitely know your bussiness, get dizzy just watching those cool pics, congrats. If being PVC is an issue to Hypalon longevity, a frequent 303 Aerospace protectant overdose spray will remedy the UV problem.

Happy Boating

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow -- great photos. If you ever need an assistant, I would love to take a boat through that territory!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I know you're looking for a SIB, but have you considered a snout rig? I see them for sale some times on Mountainbuzz.

Speaker

Cadet

I know you're looking for a SIB, but have you considered a snout rig? I see them for sale some times on Mountainbuzz.

I drive a 36 foot S rig, 37 foot modified snout, and 22 foot snout commercially. A co-worker and friend already owns a snout we've used on private trips. I am looking for a sib for whitewater and trips to the lake. Snouts are pretty boring on flatwater :smug:

Any Defender PVC owner's out there?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Defender brand high end sibs/ribs are custom made with thick German 1600 decitex pvc fabrics and French Orca 1670 decitex fabrics. Don't know if Defender sibs have reinforced lower tubes, a matter to ask. Both excellent quality fabrics, budget will decide.

Happy Boating

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice

Defender brand high end sibs/ribs are custom made with thick German 1600 decitex pvc fabrics and French Orca 1670 decitex fabrics. Don't know if Defender sibs have reinforced lower tubes, a matter to ask. Both excellent quality fabrics, budget will decide.

Happy Boating

SeaRider. Hope all is well with you.

Slight correction.
Defender First Responder SIBs, with the CSM (Hypalon) fabric, are built with Achilles T15 material. It is a 1670 Dtex with a matte finish, but a better Commercial fabric than the Pinel Orca fabrics of similar contexture.

The PVC models do use Mehler-Haku (German) fabric.

Yes, protective strakes are affixed to the bottom of the tube and the keel on all Defender First Responder series SIBs.

Best wishes to you for a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year!!

S-

Last edited:

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice

Happy Boating

SeaRider
Just occurred to me, you must have meant the XPro boats from Seaswift-UK. They do use the fabrics you mentioned, but the brand is actually X Pro. Nice boats, for sure.

S-

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I drive a 36 foot S rig, 37 foot modified snout, and 22 foot snout commercially. A co-worker and friend already owns a snout we've used on private trips. I am looking for a sib for whitewater and trips to the lake. Snouts are pretty boring on flatwater :smug:

Any Defender PVC owner's out there?

Understood. Happy hunting.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

SeaRider
Just occurred to me, you must have meant the XPro boats from Seaswift-UK. They do use the fabrics you mentioned, but the brand is actually X Pro. Nice boats, for sure.

Woops, just a mental diarrhea about Defender fabrics, yes you are right Achilles 1670 decitex. Other brands X Pro type sib, ribs can be factory ordered in CSM Orca or Achilles fabrics, the thicker, the costier. Now that Dupont doesn't make hypalon coatings any more would like to see which new CSM coatings lasts longer Orca or Achilles ?

Happy Boating

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Several guys on this forum (including myself) have the 12.5 JP Marine and have no complaints. I hope to be upgrading to the 14' next year. They have lots of "D" rings (high and low) to tie stuff down. I use mine strictly in Lake Superior. It is a well constructed boat, I've had zero air/water leaks with 2 years usage. You can get the 15' for under 3000 and December is a good month to buy from their EBAY site to get close out deals from 2012.

DSC087271.jpg

Speaker

Cadet

Boat looks great, thanks for the tip!

Speaker

Cadet

Well, I found an Su-16 locally with a trailer for $4000 so I went for it. I'll be picking it up today. Wish me luck.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny how the budget ALWAYS gets blown...but that is a worthy boat.

Post up a pic after you pick it up.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I found an Su-16 locally with a trailer for $4000 so I went for it. I'll be picking it up today. Wish me luck.

be sure to post pics pls... :)

Speaker

Cadet

Here's some photos. I blew the budget for a few reasons: The trailer was included, the aluminum frame was included, and it's the same model boat i use at work. I was going to build a frame for whatever boat I bought, this one has a hatch near the back with room for two 6 gallon tanks and some extra room. It has a smaller hatch in front of that one which will house a spare lower unit, pump, and tools. The large empty hole in the frame is for a cooler.

I have a 30hp Honda on there right now because that's what I have, but I'm looking for a 50...

Achilles%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Achilles%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Achilles%2520%25285%2529.JPG

Achilles%2520%25286%2529.JPG

Achilles%2520%25289%2529.JPG