Re: I/O vs outboard cost

How many gallons an hour would those 3 Yamahas burn? Anyone care to guess?:eek:

Advertised performance:
Weight - 16,422 lbs.
Power: Yamaha F350 x 3 - 325.3 cu. in
Weight: 822 lbs. ea.

Cruise: 4000 RPM -41.6 mph - 43.7 gph - 0.95 MPG
WOT: 5900 RPM -62.0 mph - 101 gph - 0.61 MPG

If you can afford the boat, fuel consumption shouldn't be an issue. ;)

What? you can't go fast in rough water without lifejackets in an open boat with an i/o????????????????:rolleyes:
I don't know a single guy that runs offshore wearing a "life jacket". Most I know have switched over to inflatable wearing belts. If you can tell they're are not wearing belts you have better eyes than I do. ;)

Dingbat knows that a dry smooth ride has nothing to do with whether or not it is an I/O or an OB or a Grady or a Bayliner. It has to do with the shape of the bottom, center of gravity, shape of the bow etc.
Yep, it's doesn't matter who makes the boat, its all about the hull design.

skargo

Banned

Inflatable belts make great sense, until you're knocked unconscious. They require additional assistance from the wearer AFTER you hit water. No thanks.

I also find it hard to believe NO offshore guys wear vest, that's just laughable.

This whole argument is ridiculous. Next we'll arue Ford vs Chevy, or 4x4 vs 4x2. :rolleyes:

Philster

Captain

odd, i've always thought fishing was the biggest waste of time possible, and fishermen should stay on the shore and leave the lake to the people who enjoy boating!! Fishermen are not boaters. They use the boat as a tool to fish. Nothing wrong with that, but they aren't in the same category of people who boat for the sheer enjoyment of it, and usually can't understand the reasoning behind just being out on the water.

(disclaimer, I spend every possible waking minute on a boat in the summer, and can't remember the last time I had any interest in fishing. Sometime back in the 1990's IIRC)

Anyway, everyone has their opinion, and thankfully every boat has its strengths and weaknesses. A dedicated fishing boat is great for fishing, and pretty bad at many other things.

Get near the coast, with an ocean nearby, and you will quickly learn that people who don't fish don't know 5% of anything when it comes to boating. Fishermen are boaters.

Fisherman know what the seas are doing, how to make a boat work for them, and how to work for the boat.

Head out into the ocean and the fishermen will eat you alive.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Advertised performance:
Weight - 16,422 lbs.
Power: Yamaha F350 x 3 - 325.3 cu. in
Weight: 822 lbs. ea.

Cruise: 4000 RPM -41.6 mph - 43.7 gph - 0.95 MPG
WOT: 5900 RPM -62.0 mph - 101 gph - 0.61 MPG

If you can afford the boat, fuel consumption shouldn't be an issue. ;)

That's nasty! I'd like to see their sales figures; maybe they are hot sellers with the Goldman Sachs crowd.;) Let's say maybe five hours a day at 50 gph or so means 250 gallons of fuel burnt! That's $750 to $1000 a day, depending on the price of fuel. And some people cry about spending $1000 on a boat and trailer?

QC

Supreme Mariner

There are a bunch of Masters that have never fished in their lives . . .

No one pastime on the water precludes or includes people that can or can't pilot a boat properly. I've helped with the hijack, but let's try and stay on the same planet K?

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree with philster.

and i have never seen anyone wearing a life jacket on on offshore fishing boat lol.

skargo

Banned

Get near the coast, with an ocean nearby, and you will quickly learn that people who don't fish don't know 5% of anything when it comes to boating. Fishermen are boaters.

Fisherman know what the seas are doing, how to make a boat work for them, and how to work for the boat.

Head out into the ocean and the fishermen will eat you alive.

Pretty sure you missed his sarcasm, giving it back to the original "fisherman" saying the rest of us boaters are a waste of time.

And are offshore fisherman magic, or just stupid when it comes to wearing PFD's???:confused:

Philster

Captain

Ya gotta read it like an old salt. :p

'Ya call that boating? Running around on a lake with an innertube?. When the seas are making 5-footers and yer hull is a slammin' down, ya gotta be a boater to make it home. Hookin' fish don't get you home.".
:D

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Philster, how do you like that Scarab? What can it do for speed, and what's fuel economy like with that big block?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I don't know a single guy that runs offshore wearing a "life jacket". Most I know have switched over to inflatable wearing belts. If you can tell they're are not wearing belts you have better eyes than I do. ;)

I THINK I do indeed have better eyes that you do but hey who knows they could have all kind of surprises......... :cool: gotta love those inflatable belts..... you can tell right away who in unconsious by their butt bobbing in the air
Things must change for offshore fishermen when the hit alaskan waters in big ships and the tv cameras are on..... you see plenty of life jackets on the deadliest catch

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey what about the forgotten third, the inboard....with just a prop and rudder. no leg.........discuss

QC

Supreme Mariner

^^^^^^ Inefficient and slow, suck in shallow water, less responsive to steering input at displacement speeds. Other than that they're awesome :eek: :D

Philster

Captain

Philster, how do you like that Scarab? What can it do for speed, and what's fuel economy like with that big block?

I should answer as if I were writing a Craig's List ad:

The 502 cubic inch engine absolutely sips fuel! She topped out around 78 MPH the last time I had her out, but I haven't run her this year because she needs a little work that you can do if you are handy, but I just don't have time for it. I was told she only needs a minor tweak to fire right up! A great winter project for you!
Okay.. just kidding! :p

I really like my Scarab. She tops out around 63-65 without trouble, and if I were dumb enough to lean it to and sit on it at WOT, she'd probably get near 68.

She's a gas pig. It's a 502! I can hear the gas going 'glug glug glug' into the engine, it actually flows that fast! :D

She has 23 degrees of deadrise and rides well.

I don't care what the fuel costs. I am lucky enough that me and my significant other don't have to worry about it. I don't even measure the fuel economy.

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^^^ Inefficient and slow, suck in shallow water, less responsive to steering input at displacement speeds. Other than that they're awesome

lol... true, but they look cool. a lot of wakeboard competition boats up here have them..maybe cause of the motor being further forward having more room in the stern? or cause the prop doesent stick out where lines will possibly foul it? aha every motor has its purpose right