which re-decking?

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 95 party hut '30. 8'6" wide i believe. I am re-decking it. I have found PLYDEK XL 8'6" x 4' sheets for $99.99 a sheet at gander mountain. Menard's has Roseburg 8' x4' for $66.69 a sheet. I can alternate 6" pieces on each side to make up the extra width. Is there an option I am missing? Is the 30% increase in price worth the expense for the PLYDEK XL? Thanks for your expertise and experience.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its 50% more edge seams (3 seams per 4ft row) in the decking scabbing in the extra 6in.

Edges are usually where plywood absorbs the most moisture the fastest.

Not familiar w either plywood though.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Plydek is CCA treated and even the Q&A says to avoid contact with aluminum.

You really should measure instead of "8'6" wide i believe"

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is a significant difference between marine plywood and treated plywood. Do a little more research before you buy.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The trouble is Sherwood is selling Plydek as marine plywood. They say it is CCA treated and the wood should be isolated from any aluminum, I don't know how the OP's toon is made or if the deck supports are aluminum. My concern is the copper leaching out of the wood onto the AL.

Supposedly there is a safe treated marine plywood used by the aluminum boat manufactures, No idea.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Plydek is CCA treated and even the Q&A says to avoid contact with aluminum.

You really should measure instead of "8'6" wide i believe"

Just wanted a little help as to what specific type of wood to use or stay away from. Didn't know about the whole "Copper" issue so that was very helpful. I'm in the "hunting it down and planning stages right now . Hoped that came through in my post. The boat is stored about 2 hours from me right now so I don't have direct access. I plan to start to repair in late March. "measure....yeah, thanks. probably will do that.