Which gasket is better for impeller install, metal or fiber?

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, is this metal gasket kit a real thing or some aftermarket junk?
If anything, this conversation hopefully will clear that up.
I'd like to know for the next time I do this.
My thoughts exactly. If that steel plate cant seal, air will be sucked in and overheat at full throttle. And a sealant cant be used, I believe the fiber gasket is the better choice with gasket compound. That plate is slick and bolts far apart. It needs to be glued in place. I picked up permatex Aviation to seal it. Its good for water, oil, coolant and non hardening. Others here have recommended it too.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
now apparently I have committed sacrilege by using aftermarket parts. Im not worthy of responses now? Maybe I missed the secret handshake. LOL
Lighten Francis.
its your boat, and your budget, use what you think is right, just because its aftermarket, doesnt mean its ****. i use SEi products for outdrive work whenever possible and in all my years doing this, i have not had 1 failure to wear items. 1 upper section developed a seal leak which they imediately resolved.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
For me, I would only use OEM for critical parts. Cooling is high up on that list of critical.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I'm two impeller changes in (OEM kits) with using the metal gasket with a thin layer of permatex. Have had no issues. I think Merc is combining Verado stuff with Alpha stuff in their kits for marketing reasons. I seem to recall mine containing yellow (rubber I think) orings for drain plugs, I think for the Verado.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
now apparently I have committed sacrilege by using aftermarket parts.

I wasn't trying to shoot you down, I myself have used aftermarket parts. I learned just as you are about getting oem whenever possible so I don't have to do the job twice.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'm two impeller changes in (OEM kits) with using the metal gasket with a thin layer of permatex. Have had no issues. I think Merc is combining Verado stuff with Alpha stuff in their kits for marketing reasons. I seem to recall mine containing yellow (rubber I think) orings for drain plugs, I think for the Verado.
I've used those yellow drainplugs. I personally don't like them. Twice I had a issue with water in the lower unit. Not much but enough to be concerned. I switched to the blue gaskets and the problem went away. I always pressure/vacume check the units when changing oil, and both times it was the gasket on seperate units.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had this boat a short time. Had it out 3x this year. Before going out I changed the thermostat just for peace of mind. The old T-stat would not close completely.

However when I was out on the lake last, I noticed that the temp held at 160*F while running, but at higher RPMs 3500 and above the temp started to rise a little Above 160*. Is that normal? Or could the water pump in the alpha be sucking air?

jakwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, is this metal gasket kit a real thing or some aftermarket junk?
If anything, this conversation hopefully will clear that up.
I'd like to know for the next time I do this.
It's a real thing that superseded the original fiber gasket in OEM kits. I had my first encounter with one last fall. I used permatex on it just like I did previously with the fiber gasket, though the I don't believe the instructions or the manual call for it. It seems to work fine. I've been running at temp without any issue all summer.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's a real thing that superseded the original fiber gasket in OEM kits. I had my first encounter with one last fall. I used permatex on it just like I did previously with the fiber gasket, though the I don't believe the instructions or the manual call for it. It seems to work fine. I've been running at temp without any issue all summer.

Did you coat both sides with permatex or just the top side?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
not knowing the drive cant answer that because we dont know where the impeller is. Could be normal , timing, lean carb, clogged manifold and/or elbow, weak impeller and ??????????????????????????????????????????

Scott06

Vice Admiral
However when I was out on the lake last, I noticed that the temp held at 160*F while running, but at higher RPMs 3500 and above the temp started to rise a little Above 160*. Is that normal? Or could the water pump in the alpha be sucking air?
Good to replace the thermostat and zero the milage one wear items if you just bought it and dont have a history on it.

By the dash guage my similar boat - 5.0/Alpha gen two runs about 165-170 with a 160 degree thermostat. so Id say you are fine.

FWIW stick with OEM impellers, I just changed mine after 6 years /240 hrs of fresh water use as a preventative measure- it was in fine condition. Was last changed when I repowered 6 years ago with OEM kit.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Being in the middle of this repair myself I asked the merc tech line if sealant was needed with the newer style metal gaskets. Their answer was no for either the fiber or newer metal gasket-not sure if pic will copy over but its the kit with metal gasket...

Thank you for your email regarding MerCruiser serial number 0M694685. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your questions.

The impeller kit part number 43026Q06 has been replaced by service kit 8M0100526 Quicksilver, or 8M0100527 Mercury brand. This supersession has happened at least three years ago. If you are using this older kit 43026Q06, the items go together dry as the same with the newer kits. There should be a date code on the package and we recommend using newer parts. When coming to rubber impellers, they can dry out over time. Shown is this latest kit in following picture.

thumbnail

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Being in the middle of this repair myself I asked the merc tech line if sealant was needed with the newer style metal gaskets. Their answer was no for either the fiber or newer metal gasket-not sure if pic will copy over but its the kit with metal gasket...

Thank you for your email regarding MerCruiser serial number 0M694685. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your questions.

The impeller kit part number 43026Q06 has been replaced by service kit 8M0100526 Quicksilver, or 8M0100527 Mercury brand. This supersession has happened at least three years ago. If you are using this older kit 43026Q06, the items go together dry as the same with the newer kits. There should be a date code on the package and we recommend using newer parts. When coming to rubber impellers, they can dry out over time. Shown is this latest kit in following picture.

thumbnail
Thanks for the very useful info!

stormulus

Seaman Apprentice
I installed the Quicksilver 8M0100526 kit last October. The documentation that came with it (which I still have) lists Mercury 8M0100527 number too. Under Installation Instructions, the first sentence says "for complete installation instructions, refer to the appropriate Mercury Marine service manual." Also it has a picture which shows the metal gasket installed first, then the metal faceplate, then the fiber gasket on top ( it notes the fiber gasket's silicone sealing bead should face up.)

So I referred to Service Manual #14 (Alpha One, Gen II drives), which indicates to apply Perfect Seal to the lower gasket ( I used permatex aviation on both sides) and install it, then the faceplate, then the upper (fiber) gasket (with the silicone sealing bead facing up.) I did that and it has worked fine.

The service manual also indicates to apply Perfect Seal to the threads of the 4 screws before installing them.

I must say the Mercury OEM service manuals for the engine and drive are amazing in the amount of detail shown.

Last edited:

Bottomsupscott

Seaman Apprentice
Good grief. And this is your contribution to scold me first thing in the morning?. These gentlemen offer one answer. Follow the manual. I dont have one. Which is why I posed the question. Not to point out the Obvious, but if I had the manual and live next to a marina, I wouldnt need to ask the question.
If you dont want to provide information, go to another thread about which wine you prefer. You may not see it, but their answers were demeaning and almost disrespectful. Im 57 years old and very capable of wrenching.
now apparently I have committed sacrilege by using aftermarket parts. Im not worthy of responses now? Maybe I missed the secret handshake. LOL
Lighten Francis.
Dude, like I suggested, get a sense of humor...and lighten up homie! I'm 65 and learn more on this forum than any manual...thanks to these blokes.
Get a life...or don't.

stormulus

Seaman Apprentice
Dude, like I suggested, get a sense of humor...and lighten up homie! I'm 65 and learn more on this forum than any manual...thanks to these blokes.
Get a life...or don't.
I find the combination of the operators manual, the service manual, the parts manual, and the questions/answers/discussions here are a great way to learn. The operator's manual (which I purchased from Mercury Marine last year for my 2003 power package) provides a lot information about general operation, engine specs, and gives a breakdown of the maintenance items/schedule and how to perform (most of, but not all of) them for both the engine and the drive. I refer to that for maintainence as it has a lot of stuff for the entire power package inn one place, so I'm less likely to forget something.

The service manuals are great for more detailed maintenance and repairs; I Wouldn't understand half of the conversations in this part of the forum if I hadn't read through them last winter (and some I still don't.) However the people here have the hands-on knowledge and experience that can help point you in the right direction and help you through information that you're not quite grasping, basically providing common sense application of the technical information.

And for that I thank and appreciate the people who contribute here.

Last edited:

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I debated if I wanted to replace the impeller now while I winterize or in the spring before boating. So my A.D.D. got the better of me.

here are some pictures before I start the disassembly. This looks uglier than anything I have seen in youtube videos. Im guessing its been a long time since its been done. There are two grooves in the shaft near the spine but no signs of oil leaking.p and no signs of water in the lube I drained out. Are there seals up there I can or should change? The plastic pipe guide tube looks melted, or was it designed that way? Again, havent seen anyone elses look this fancy.
The fiber gasket looks like it was blowing out. I havent opened it yet. More pics to come.

thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 36CCBAF2-A542-4858-B3DA-CF8541F34FDA.jpeg
    36CCBAF2-A542-4858-B3DA-CF8541F34FDA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • CD6C78A2-9A77-4510-9E90-8696C8CA26BD.jpeg
    CD6C78A2-9A77-4510-9E90-8696C8CA26BD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • BDBBEC54-D821-4424-9657-0E3FF070F187.jpeg
    BDBBEC54-D821-4424-9657-0E3FF070F187.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • A43C1B63-AAE7-4784-9ECE-36621011C6F8.jpeg