Where to start?

qmrichardson

Seaman
I recently purchased this 1982 16' starcraft that I'd like to restore for personal use. I want to do the work myself but don't know anything about restoring boats or even where to start. Looking through these threads can be a bit overwhelming... Can somone point me to a "start here" thread :) thanks!

1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where to start?

I guess the first thing you need to figure out is what you think is wrong with the boat or what you want to change? Is the floor solid? Do you want to change the seating? Or is it just the outside of the hull? If it is the floor it is just start taking everything out and start removing the floor.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hi!

Nice boat!

Welcome to your new disease.... Boat restoration!

Your in Starcraft heaven!

There are many folks just like you that new nothing, and have restored their boats to better than new glory! Take your time, figure out what you want, ask questions on this forum, and have fun!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the club qmrichardson, just about any of the starcraft resto threads will give you the step by step info you seek...do some core samples{use search} if you like, most of us just decide to replace all wood to know what we're working with...

For a full resto, 'sort' of along this route...
remove motor, remove interior seating and storage, rip up carpet & decking{floor}, remove flotation, remove transom, remove dash if so desired, wiring if needed{most do or at least require inspection}, then if going all out, paint the hull{easy to flip while barren of excess weight}, clean the inside of hull, add gluvit or similar sealant to rivit's & seams, then onto reinstalling everything to your wants and needs.

Depending on what you want or what she needs, there's no set in stone sequence, but most follow "somewhat' along these lines, sure others will post their thoughts as well to give you plenty of food for thought...again welcome & enjoy

bananaboater

Ensign

I recently purchased this 1982 16' starcraft that I'd like to restore for personal use. I want to do the work myself but don't know anything about restoring boats or even where to start. Looking through these threads can be a bit overwhelming... Can somone point me to a "start here" thread :) thanks!

Well you have found the first step and did not realize it, this web site.

Next you should take an objective look at your boat and start with making sure your boat is safe and dependable on the water. And decide if it meets your usage needs, pleasure/fishing. After that you can begin to consider how it looks. From my experience here it appears that most of us start from the bottom up.

This will test your skills and you will learn a lot, which for most of us is why we like the challenge of boat restoration.

Albert

qmrichardson

Seaman

Thanks guys. Well, the floor feels like it is about to fall through in a couple spots, so I'm sure it's not a pretty sight underneath the old carpet. I have a 2 year old and a four year old, so I'd like to maximize space for the kids, and maybe change the current bow setup because I can't even operate that foot pedal with it so close to the seat. What kind of wood do you guys use for the floor? Do I just go to home depot and get some ply wood? Also, what is gluvit? I'm embarrassed to even ask these questions, but I'm a quick learner I promise!

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

what model starcraft is that?? looks like some one may have remodeled it at one time

it may seem like a monumental task, but it's not just form a plan and read alot of post most of your question have already been addressed pick a couple of restores that fit your boat and read them from the begining. take notes on any post that may spark an interest so you can go back when you get to that point on your boat.

the first step is the denial stage
mine's not that bad
just a few new pcs of ply and some carpet and it will good to go
the foam's not that wet
the transoms pretty good(atleast the top half)

good luck and have fun make it a family thing

qmrichardson

Seaman

I don't really know what model starcraft it is. The guy I bought it from gave me his receipt from the boat dealer and it just says 1982 Deep V. I did get the serial # from the data plate (STRH54350982-A3). It says Max HP is 90 also. Huron Angler suggested it could have already been modified some as well.

zach103

Commander

I don't really know what model starcraft it is. The guy I bought it from gave me his receipt from the boat dealer and it just says 1982 Deep V. I did get the serial # from the data plate (STRH54350982-A3). It says Max HP is 90 also. Huron Angler suggested it could have already been modified some as well.

Start by tearing everything out and keep all the nuts and bolts and all the parts in some kind of storage tub.. youll be glad you did later on trust me.. secondly rip out the carpet and the deck. Than do a core sample of the transom and the stringers. See how those look.. How is the engine? When i get home ill put a link up of some diagrams and a place to purchase the parts. It will give you the exact number of every single part.

I think if I were you, I would tear out that step up and make the whole floor level. I posted what I would do with the seating.

Attachments

• hhjyunhj.jpg
    hhjyunhj.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 0

qmrichardson

Seaman

Zach, thanks for the diagram. It's actually exactly what I had in mind. I would like to keep my trolling motor up front if I can. That step houses two batteries in it for the trolling motor. Maybe I could store the batteries in the bench seating on the sides...

zach103

Commander

ya you can deff do that .. thats what i would do.. maybe the front two feet of the bow instead of the bench have a little deck for yourself.. theres plenty of ways you can do it.. trust me you'll most likely change something n a few years from now lol