Where to Mount Fuel/Water Separator?

I Am Mello

Cadet
I just bought a BlueWave 180 V-Bay with a 115 Yamaha. I want to put a fuel/water separator on it. I am wondering where is the best place to put the thing.

The way everything is hooked up with all the other cables I just dont have the room to hang it on the transom next to the motor.

So I thought about putting it inside the back storage compartment. My delima is the oil tank and the battery is also in there. What concerns me is when changing the filter there may be spillage.

To make a long story short... Gas + battery sparks= fire. Is it a NO NO to put it inside that compartment? I just watched a youtube Video that had one in there?

Please advise,
I Am Mello :confused:

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where to Mount Fuel/Water Separator?

Same position here bud.
Mine is located near the transom mounted on the outside of a compartment, looks ugly, but it's going to stay there. I may end up putting some star board over it to keep from getting stepped on or hooked with a hook.

Can't put it in a compartment, bilge, anywhere else that's confined.

skybobber

Banned

Anywhere where it's easily accessible and not confined. Otherwise you will need to utilize a vent or blower.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stick it in the compartments on the side of the motor well. It is OK to have it near oil tank and battery. Make sure it doesn't leak. There should also be some ventilation in this compartment

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My filter assy. is mounted in one of two storage compartments at the back of the boat. One compartment houses battery 1 and the electrical and the other side houses battery 2, the oil tank and the Racor.

I Am Mello

Cadet

Thanks for the advise everyone. I think my mind is made up, it's going in the storage box with the oil tank and battery. It will be tight but it wont be subject to all the hassles of being kept out in the open.

My concern with gas + spark = fire is solved with common care and caution.

Just as a side note:
Do any of you have a wife that lets the boat hit the warf when launching and breaks the trolling motor head off? :mad:
If so... is divorce, taking away the creditcards for a month, or drowning the approriate action is this case?;)

skybobber

Banned

Just as a side note:
Do any of you have a wife that lets the boat hit the warf when launching and breaks the trolling motor head off? :mad:
If so... is divorce, taking away the creditcards for a month, or drowning the approriate action is this case?;)[/QUOTE]

They both can cost alot of money alone, one talks back and the other doesn't, when putting them both together, it's a reciepe for financial disaster. Better off leaving one or the other at home JMO :p

I Am Mello

Cadet

Well darn, worked most of the afternoon putting the filter in and the darn thing leaks! :mad:
I thought it was because the filter wasnt tight enough on the braket. But I tightened the thing way beyond what it should and "poof" it still leaks between the filter and the housing.
Back to the store I go.
:mad:

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well darn, worked most of the afternoon putting the filter in and the darn thing leaks! :mad:
I thought it was because the filter wasnt tight enough on the braket. But I tightened the thing way beyond what it should and "poof" it still leaks between the filter and the housing.
Back to the store I go.
:mad:

Did you remember to coat the O-ring(s) on the filter with a light coat of oil, just like with an oil filter?

I Am Mello

Cadet

Yes I did coat with a light lube. I noticed that the rubber washer on the filter had seating indentations only on about 2/3rd of the washer. It looks like the filter may be bent or the male thread part of the housing braket may be out of square.

It was a new system that just may have been a defective one.

robert graham

Admiral

Sounds like you got a defective unit, because if it's right, it should screw on just like an oil filter and hand tightening should be sufficient. I just tighten mine by hand and every now and then just unscrew it, dump whatever is in it, put it back on. Keep at it and you'll get it right, Good Luck!

I Am Mello

Cadet

Grrrrrr I finally had time to put on my new filter system today and the blasted new one leaks just like the old one:mad: Its an Attwood mount and filter so its not cheap but its not expensive either. The only way I could stop it from leaking was to put a filter wrench on it and tighten the heck out of it. I am afraid when I want to change it I'll never get it off.
Has anyone else had problems with Attwood mounts and filters?
Merry Christmas
I Am Mello

robert graham

Admiral

My unit is a Walmart/Attwood and no problems at all. Take the unit back where you bought it for a replacement. The cartridge should screw right on easily and just hand tightening should be sufficient to prevent any leakage. My unit has 2 rubber O-Rings for sealing, I just don't understand why your unit isn't sealing correctly, but the place you purchased it should replace it at no charge! Good Luck!

I Am Mello

Cadet

Thanks, I wish I knew what the problem was. I know the thing should be just like an oil filter. Coat with a film of lube, spin on, when it reaches the gasket, the hand tighten about 1/2 to 3/4 of a round. But I honestly tightened it as tight as I could by hand and it still leaked. So I put a filter wrench on it and tighened more. The oddity of it all is I did it with both of the units I bought.
I replaced both the mount and the filter with new ones. I am just puzzled!
Thanks,
I Am Mello
By The Way Robert, where do you get the replacement filter for it now? Every Wal mart I have gone to from Central Louisiana to Laredo Tx does not have the filter by itself. They all tell me you have to by the whole unit.:confused: I can get them from a parts house but they are SINGLE gaskets only.

gss036

Commander

Save your self some frustration and take it back and get a small RACOR. The small ones are good for 30GPH. I have a Honda/(made by Racor) for my 225 Honda and it doesn't take up as much room and works great. Then you can see the bottom of it and just drain it when and if needed. You will pay for the difference in price by not replacing the filters until it is needed. Been there, done that.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

I bought the sierra fuel system at a marina for $30 but then replaced the filter with a yamaha filter.I personally think the yamaha filters are built the best as i have taken a few different ones apart and the yamaha has a very unique fiber filter that seems to be very well put together IMO.Most of the filters today are made with paper unlike the yamaha filter.If your using ethanol gas it is now recommended that you change your filter at least 4 times a yr or every 25hrs as the water builds up quickly.With non ethanol gas maybe 2 times a yr or every 50hrs.You can empty them and reuse them but i just rather make sure my investment runs to the best level it can.I use non ethanol gas and change mine every 25hrs anyway so 4 times a yr.Whats $80 a yr to take care of a expensive investment right.

I also use 100%synthetic pennzoil 2stroke oil and 100%synthetic lower unit oil by royal purple.My motor[brand new 15hp 2stroke merc] loves me as i take care of her and man i must tell you that synthetic 2stroke oil makes all the difference in the world especially at idle it runs so quiet and smooth like a 4stroke,very little to no smoke as i'm just breaking in the motor now with a 25:1 oil ratio and she runs that smooth i can't wait to go to a 50:1 it will be even better.I have used water/fuel seperator for yrs and like i said i change mine 4times a yr.I also use a stabilizer called sentry that is just unreal how good it is.If you get any water in the system from the ethanol water phase the sentry mixes the water with the gas and lets it safely pass through carbs or injectors and never misses a beat.The stuff is a must have for any boater.

I Am Mello

Cadet

Ehhhh, I have already drilled holes, mounted the blasted thing, cut, fitted, and connected all the hoses ect.ect.

If it werent for having the holes drilled I think I would by a different system. I just went outside and checked to see if it was leaking and it seems ok. Its 32 degrees today and things may be different when it warms up. I just dont know. I am a well known customer at the local Wal Mart so if I have problems later I'll have no problems returning for a refund (again):mad:

I would buy the RACOR filter but my town is so small I dont think I could find one here. Anyhow Happy New Years and thanks for all the input.

I Am Mello

robert graham

Admiral

When you get your replacement unit at Walmart, just screw the cartridge on right there in the store and look to be sure it's seating properly. I just don't understand this problem unless your filter base is just machined wrong, the filter cartridge should be square with the base! good Luck!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If your using ethanol gas it is now recommended that you change your filter at least 4 times a yr or every 25hrs as the water builds up quickly.With non ethanol gas maybe 2 times a yr or every 50hrs. You can empty them and reuse them but i just rather make sure my investment runs to the best level it can.I use non ethanol gas and change mine every 25hrs anyway so 4 times a yr.Whats $80 a yr to take care of a expensive investment right.

Changing filters at preset intervals only benefits the guy selling you the filters.

Filters are bad when the pressure drop thru the filter exceeded X inches HG. The pressure drop your motor can handle w/o degrading performance varies by motor type and manufacturer. Changing a filter based on fixed intervals instead of performance is a waste of time and money.

I installed a vacuum gauge on my fuel filters. When the pressure drop gets to 4? Hg, it?s time to change the filter. No more guessing when it?s time, no more changing out perfectly good filters becouse it's time. Over the past 4 years I?ve had filters that lasted 250 hours and I?ve had filters that lasted 50 -100 hours.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

Hello-
Last year I had a filter kit installed. I need to change my filter for the first time. I've got the new filter, and I've also got a full tank of gas. I was just wondering if you guys could give me a couple tips on changing the filter without filling the bildge with gas!

Here is a picture of my setup:

IMG_2016_a.jpg

Question: Can you tell from the picture if the setup has a fuel shutoff valve? I'm curious about how the bolts on the unit function.

Thanks for letting me crash your post.