Where to Mount Fuel/Water Separator?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to Mount Fuel/Water Separator?

Hello-
Last year I had a filter kit installed. I need to change my filter for the first time. I've got the new filter, and I've also got a full tank of gas. I was just wondering if you guys could give me a couple tips on changing the filter without filling the bildge with gas!
My filter has a drain on the bottom. :D In your situation, use a large plastic "baggie" to catch any fuel you may spill removing the filter from the bracket.

Can you tell from the picture if the setup has a fuel shutoff valve?
No, you don't have one and you don't need one with an anti-siphon valve installed.

I'm curious about how the bolts on the unit function.
They are used to attached the filter to the wall.;);)

I Am Mello

Cadet

Stan, your setup is simular to mine.

I was also worried about syphoning the fuel from the tank into the compartment while changing the filter without a shutoff valve. I have used a pair of woodworking vicegrip pliers that I use to pinch the hose to prevent that from happening. The woodworking pliers will not damage the hoses.

I see that you have wires running in there also. Use caution if fuel is spilled. Sparks+fuel= a bad day, plus its bad on the facial hair when it goes "poof":eek:

Is your system an Attwood? If so let me know if you have the problem that I did refered to ealier in the post. Please.

I Am Mello

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 2

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks very much for the guidance dingbat. Your bag trick worked like a charm. I finally got a break in the weather and put the new filter on & tested it this afternoon on the muffs. No leaks so far. Will double check again when I have it out on the water next time.

Mello - I pulled the paperwork on the kit and of course they did not give a good description of the make / model of my system. For make they put 'LAN' and then for the Department they listed 'MACC'. The Description that they provided was 'Universal Fuel/Water Seperator'. Probably not much help to you. It looks almost identical to yours though.

For mine I did not need to pinch the hoses. I just slipped a large ziplock under the filter & unscrewed it. About 2 cups of fuel came out which mostly was inside the filter. Once the filter was off no fuel was flowing out. Nice and clean thanks to dingbat's advise. And yes, I always disconnect my battery before messing with anything fuel related. Can't ever be too careful when playing with fuel.

Iboats community is great. Thanks so much. Hope this helps somebody else.