Where to get replacement spark plug wires for 1976 evinrude 4hp??

Bknboat16

Cadet
Need to replace damaged spark plug wires on 1976 evinrude 4hp . What are best type to replace with and where can i get them at a fair price. I cant find exact specs or any info on replacements.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your local dealer has rolls of spark plug wire in stock

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
most motorbike, chainsaws snowmobile shops have it and can sell you a few feet (4) around $2 a foot . had indicated it must be metallic strand core .

automotive stuff is resistive and used to prevent RF noise in the A.M band but biker, snowmobiler etc... don't care

autoparts stores probably have some.

this is what I use but it was $35 a year or two ago !!!! now $78 ???? comes with boots :)

Attachments

• IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

kbait

Commander
I used auto wires (resistive type) once way back when, before I knew better. Ran great for about 10 minutesšŸ˜Ž. These magnetos require metal strand plug wires.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not hard to find the correct wire at all.-----And you need to put the new wire into the coil before the coil is set in place.----And the coils must be set it the correct place for proper clearance with magnets.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
align coils on bases otherwise they will rub on the flywheel. your fingernail should not snag going up or down the face of the base and coil if aligned properly !!!

also critical is to tuck in the coil primary wires to the points away from the rotating cam

Attachments

• coil edge.PNG
    coil edge.PNG
    95.3 KB · Views: 2