Where to Find a Canvas Top?

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to need a new canvas top for my 1978 MFG Gypsy 15. The one that was on there is completey dried out stained and ripped. I have the back door and it's in GREAT condition along with the bow door cover but the canopy needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I would be able to come across one in the states, or a website that sells them?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to Find a Canvas Top?

If you have the old one, you should be able to remove it and take it to any upholstery shop and have them re-make it. Bimini Tops for these Vintage boats are hard to come by. I am in the process of sewing one for my 61' Lonestar. Material costs were $40 bucks. Sewing will take a bit of doing but not all that bad. I'd say you could get one sewn for $300 or less. Only takes about 3 yards of material. Ripping the old one apart will give you patterns for the new one. This guy has quality products @ great prices.

http://stores.ebay.com/Trimjobber-C...249338015&_sid=12796515&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have the old one, you should be able to remove it and take it to any upholstery shop and have them re-make it. Bimini Tops for these Vintage boats are hard to come by. I am in the process of sewing one for my 61' Lonestar. Material costs were $40 bucks. Sewing will take a bit of doing bu not all that bad. I'd say you could bet one sewn for $300 or less. Only takes about 3 yards of material. Ripping the old one apart with give you patterns for the new one.

Thanks for the info! I will look into some upholstry shops in the area. I just noticed a crack in the bow of the boat so I'm going to have to put the canopy on the back burner for now.... :(

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do! I'll post the pictures when I get out of work. I have been in contact with TallCanadian via email for about 2 weeks now (might I add he is AWESOME). I appricate the offer and as I said I will post some pics soon.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Wood got a good price on materials...My wholesale cost for Sunbrella or a like quality canvas is 15-25 a yard, so plan accordingly, a picture would help, but figure 3-5 yards on smaller boats and 5-9 yards on pontoons and such. if you go to an upholstery shop it will cost in the range of 200-350 in labor plus the material, but you get what ya pay for!

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again, for the help guys! I unfortunately have uncovered a larger issue with the hull at this time and will need to focus on that for now. I do have the old top so I will take into consideration doing it myself, I just don't have a sewing machine, I also have no clue how to sew. I will probably just be better off bring it to someone that is capable of doing a job like this. Once I get done repairing my hull I think this is going to be the next on my list.

So, I didn't want to get to off topic on this thread so I started a new thread with pictures of the hull damage. Any advice you guys are willing to give is much appreciated, or if you just want to see the pictures of the damage take a look, here is the link to the thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...damaged-hull-pictures-585696.html#post4040378