Where to buy battery

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Where to buy battery

Interstate, Wal-Mart are crap IMHO. Had a factory defect on an Oddyssey and it died in 2 months. So did all the others in that same shipment to the local dealer. They replaced it free but not worth the hassle. Never again!

After buying nothing but Die Hards for 40 years with very good luck, I tried a Deka AGM and now wouldn't use anything else. Shop around on the net for best price in the size you need. The last few I bought from either DC Power Online or Battery Service Corp. For 2 batteries you should get free shipping and no sales tax.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I dunno guys, I always treat battery choice as if it were a safety feature. I run either Rolls or Optima. They don't last too much longer than the cheap ones but I've never had one fail me that was properly maintained. The extra money is worth it to me if I don't have to worry. Just my .02

oldjeep

Admiral

Interstate, Wal-Mart are crap IMHO. Had a factory defect on an Oddyssey and it died in 2 months. So did all the others in that same shipment to the local dealer. They replaced it free but not worth the hassle. Never again!

After buying nothing but Die Hards for 40 years with very good luck, I tried a Deka AGM and now wouldn't use anything else. Shop around on the net for best price in the size you need. The last few I bought from either DC Power Online or Battery Service Corp. For 2 batteries you should get free shipping and no sales tax.

Funny since Die Hard and Interstate and most walmart (everstart) are made by Johnson controls.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Optima battery would be the only battery I would consider. These are completely sealed gel mat batteries. Last 3 times as long, don't leak, can take much more vibration etc. See link. I bought mine through Amazon.com at about 80% of the factory direct prices. http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/bluetop/index.php

Optimas are sealed, but not gel. Just "Absorbent Glass-Mat" acid.

IMO, optimas are overrated. I had 1 in my car years(~10)ago that died in under 2 years. When i went to return it, the shop was not surprised at all. They said they get returns on them all the time.

If you actually check the specs on the batteries and compare them to others, they are a terrible buy.

For example, lets compare the group 27 Optima to other comparable AGM batteries.
Optima:

Weight 53.8lbs.
Length 12.19inches
Height 8.75inches
Width 6.81inches

Cold Cranking Amps-800
Cranking Amps-1000
Reserve Capacity-140
Capacity (c/20 rate)-66

Here is a Deka AGM group 27
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0151.pdf
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0194.pdf

Cold Crank 800
Cranking 1000
Reserve Cap 182
92Ah

Cabelas AGM
Cold 950
Crank 1200
Reserve Cap 180
90Ah

IMO, I think the Cabelas specs are overstated, but they are a great value. So far, I got 1 season out of my group 24 and am working on my group 27 this year. We'll see how they are long term.

I didn't check for warranty info on the Optima or Deka. But i've read others have been very happy with Sears AGM battery. Good warranty too.

portd

Seaman Apprentice

Im still using 2 interstate purchased in 2002 , thinking of replaceing but they held charge all winter , so put them back in boat today

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

You need two types of batteries, a "cranking" battery for starting the engine and a deep cycle battery for the boat accessories if you intend to overnight on your boat. The battery construction is different. Engine "cranking" batteries can provide high amp output for short periods of time without damage, but are damaged if discharged too far. Deep cycle batteries are just the opposite. I always have one of each in my boat. I've had great luck with Interstate and Delco (long time ago). I have a gel-cel battery in my old Volvo that's at least 10 years old and still going, but I've never been willing to spend the bucks for the deep cycle gel battery.

beagleboy

Seaman

Interstate or Exide are top of the line brand names, dealers all over the place for warranty. PAY THE PRICE. Go to Walmart you get what you pay for in the off brands and get to look at fat women in spandex and wait a half hour in the check out line. Having said all of the above every brand has their f*** Ups.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Funny since Die Hard and Interstate and most walmart (everstart) are made by Johnson controls.

First of all, Manufacturer's that private label make them to the specs of the purchaser. Is a first line Johnson the same integrity as an Everstart made to WalMart's low cost requirements?

Secondly, my experience with Interstate goes back quite a few years ago. I never "bought" one, but got a couple as initial equipment from the dealer. I'm a loyal customer, but never return if I get junk.

Regardless, my comments go back a few years. Since then East Penn has been my supplier and they have been first rate every time.