Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Yard (side of house, backyard, barn)

Votes: 107 38.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 51 18.2%

• Total voters

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to try the driveway, though I am worried about theft and vandalism.

cordell

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where do you keep your boat?

... had 10' double gate installed on side yard years back for other reasons plus a concrete landing poured. came in real handy when i bought my boat. still under the fence line an not visible from the street.

if you have an HOA they may moan to high heaven if your boat sits in the driveway over 1 week. dry storage runs about 2/3 bucks a foot in town.

if you light up your driveway and keep her covered plus a quality hitch lock that may be all you need. you know your neighbor hood better than anyone.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I paved a spot beside my house and put up one of those 700 buck double carports. One side is against the house, the other side I enclosed with small hole plastic lattice work, the back is against my privacy fence. It does a great job keeping my boat and Jeep outta the weather....Vandalizm? We had it run thru our neighborhood last year after 15 years off peace and quiet. I installed a security camera on the carport and 4 double bulb motion sensor lights. My house might look like a prison at night, but ain't nobody messing with my crap again if I can help it.

Attachments

• IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the garage,around here they don't let you keep the boat in the driveway a day,but I also leave the garage door up from 7 in the morning till dark:cool::D:D I guess they don't have a code for that.

bhammer

Ensign

I keep mine in the back yard on the side of the house. It is an 8'6" beam and the double gates I built is 9'4" wide. Plus, I have to use a neighbors yard while getting it in, about 6" of trailer tires and SUV tires get in. She is cool about it though as it's actually right of way ard for utilities. I have to dodge a street light pole, a brink house piller and the natural gas regulator while trying to get er in. It's tough and when the ground is yet from rain, it is even more difficult and leaves serious ruts. Sometime this year, I'd like to put a concrete pad back there or, better yet, find a storage lot to keep it in.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Mine is in the garage, never had anything stolen and don't want to.

The worse the economy gets the more theft is a problem and I am always tinkering with something so it makes that easier.

Ravman

Cadet

keep mine in the driveway. last summer i spent quite a bit of money to widen my one car driveway to make it 3 wide so i can keep the boat at home. here is a pic with the job almost complete.

ziggy

Admiral

keep mine in a single rock driveway, under a big giant, probably 88 year old (house built in 1920) soft silver maple that looks like it blow over any day. with my van in front of it......:(
this is what happened fri. at about 630 am.
IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

my boat sits on the left side of the house in the pic. right next to another tree just like the one in the pic. :(. guess it coulda been worse. in this incident i only lost power and may have ruined my engine hoist... can't tell yet... or just to the left of the tree in the pic of the house, sits my restore project, maybe. my 72 trisoinc......
wish i had a lot of bread so i could remove these two trees...... i'm pretty worried and lack of funds is prohibitive of cutting these two monsters down.......
Russian roulette with trees and boats and houses....

Last edited:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

My boat is stored in my Grandfathers barn. Its dry and locked. :D

cmcpherson

Banned

In the driveway, I hate it but storage facilities around here have no space. This is mainly due to the flooding and that many many people have not taken their boats out of storage to put them in the water yet.

Robert185

Cadet

I keep mine in the garage. When I was looking to buy I had a calculator in one hand for payments and a measuring tape in the other to make sure it would fit!

lrice01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When we redid our landscaping, I had this area on the side of the house set aside for my boat. I roll the boat across the grass with the help of a Powercaster and when I close the double wide gates, you can't see the boat from the street. It's always close by when I feel like tinkering around with it!

Attachments

• Boat..jpg
    Boat..jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Out in the sticks, on the side of a hill. I have the material to put up the boat shed now. What I need is the energy to get it done! This time it will have a 5 ton overhead crane to make maintenance easier. A local factory was upgrading thier systems so the hoist and car was available for hauling away. All I had to do was add the steel for the rails. It seems as though no one wants used three phase equipment.

cribber

Lieutenant

My GT185 sits on the driveway right in front of my house. Luckily I have a smooth concrete pad in front of the garage doors which helps with rolling the trailer around. I also pull the pin out of the swing away tongue and have the bow as close to the garage door as I can get it. You'll need some serious cahonies to come 250' up my drive to get at 'er without setting off the barking alarms.;)

DSC00262.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

One in the garage, one in the shed.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

On the trailer next to the house. I live in a remote area, with three other homes nearby. Its pretty hard to get in or out of where we are with out being seen, so we've not had significant problems with theft.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

My 18 foot 1969 Starcraft holiday is in Rochester,my 17 foot 1963 Duratech Orion is at our cottage on Owasco lake and the 35 foot deep sea old "Lobsterpot" is in Rock harbor,MA this summer but in winter it goes to Hubbardston,MA in the backyard of my B.I.L.,where I work on it together with 5 co-owners.