Where do dead boats go?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Where do dead boats go?

I'll probly get scolded for this but during the old times in Miami we'd strip em of everything, including flotation. Tow em out in the atlantic aways'n pull the plug. 'Member my uncle Gary blowing holes in the bottom of one with a bangstick on one such occasion. Ahh the fond memories ...

Anyway nowadays the sawsall works best for me. Once ya determine the correct blade.

Chainsaw's quicker, but more dust and gel/glass chunks. Need goggles for certain...

emoney, what about that boat graveyard between New York and Denton on 19?

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

saw-zall....then one piece at a time to the work dumpster.....heck, two or three months the whole thing is a memory....

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully you can get something else in fairly short order.

Near our place the waste transfer site has a corner for unloved boats. Once they get a couple or three along comes the bull dozer and they just run right over em. Too bad - I've seen some classic glass boats that were easily restorable but for the average family it's just seen as old junk.

I've poached some good stuff when I've been lucky enough to get there before the dozer. A nice sixties era speedo and a couple of complete control boxes and cables.

I know there's three great looking boats waiting right now but it will be four weeks or so before I can get back there. I hope they are still there because I saw all sorts of goodies in them from my brief view driving by. Sure wish I had the time to stop then.

The salvage job can sometimes be a challenge as there are usually a few bears about pawing through the household garbage on the other side of the yard and it's a bit nerve wracking to be up under the dash of one of these old boats wondering if some big bear snout is about to appear over the gunwale. Makes it a bit hard to concentrate on getting the hardware off sometimes! :D

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

old boats go to boat heaven!!! where there riden by boat dogs!!!

Westport

Seaman Apprentice

Oh man, that's a bummer! If anything else, I'd salvage what I could and if the engine all checks out, I'd look for another boat. a lot of times you can find a good engineless hull for little money. Either that or strip it and sell the components on ebay or craigslist.

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice

I like the idea of putting the boat out where someone who can use it can take it. The rotten tires on the trailer are the problem with that.

I am stripping trim, even the capacity plate (as a memento). When I climbed into the boat yesterday, I heard the power tilt and trim engage. The control arm was leaning against the seat and my weight shifted the boat enough to press the up button. So perhaps the motor can be salvaged. I did find the crack in the hull so damage is not limited to windshield and top cap.

If anyone wants this boat, let me know. I want to be on the water, not doing a restoration. I am old and don't want to wait. Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments.