Where are all the inflatables?

db4570

Cadet
I have owned a few boats over the years and am have always like the idea of inflatables. I am thinking again about getting one to carry in our camper when we travel. A small one, probably an airfloor.

Some years ago when I was looking at them it seemed there were a few large online dealers. They had full selections of all the major brands (Zodiak, Avon, AB, Achilles, etc.) with what looked like sharp pricing. I remember one was in Annapolis, I think.

Now I can't seem to find much of anything. The legacy brands seem to only be sold at scattered small marinas, with no real info on-line. There are some new brands on the block which I am not familiar with, but get pretty good reviews. When I do find a halfway decent looking dealer on line they seem to be in England or sometimes Canada.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Chief Petty Officer
That's because cheap online boats from China killed the market. Personally I would avoid any boats made in China . I would buy a used Zodiac made in France. They are one of the lighest in it's weight class , and I've yet to find better build quality.

If you're looking for a smaller Zodiac, they stopped production for smaller inflatables from the France factory around the time they released their Zoom line sometime around 2010-ish , and from then on it's all Chinese. Buy used and buy quality.

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
Check out seaeagle.com they have different sizes. Their customer service it amazing. I have the FKS16.

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Hey there, may I also suggest a Sea Eagle. We owned a 12.6 Sport Runabout and it was excellent. We actually had a chance to visit them in Port Jefferson, NY and they went out of their way for over an hour answering questions and explained what set them apart from the competition. We owned it for 2 years and went on many great adventures with it. It has any unique features including an inflatable keel unlike any other inflatable which helps it to track incredibly well and turn on a dime. I sold it last year due to hernia surgery and believe it or not I'm trying to buy it back from the friend I sold it to! May I suggest the 10.6 Sport Runabout as a starting point.

Attachments

• 20190622_105703-1.jpg
    20190622_105703-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

db4570

Cadet
I found Defender, and they have a big selection of established brands in stock, and good prices, and a showroom that's not too far from me.

I'm leaning toward the Zodiac Cadet 310 Aero, which looks like it would be really quick to inflate and set up. I'm looking for something I can transport to launch sites in my van, and not have to use a trailer.

Sea Eagle does also look good, and gets positive reviews, so I may check them out, too.

Chief Petty Officer
Check the transom on the Zodiac make sure the serial number starts with FR ( France) and not CN (China) .

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
I found Defender, and they have a big selection of established brands in stock, and good prices, and a showroom that's not too far from me.

I'm leaning toward the Zodiac Cadet 310 Aero, which looks like it would be really quick to inflate and set up. I'm looking for something I can transport to launch sites in my van, and not have to use a trailer.

Sea Eagle does also look good, and gets positive reviews, so I may check them out, too.
Defender is a great place to check out a bunch of different boats all in one place. Sounds like you might be in Connecticut like me. I'd encourage you to check out the pros and cons on several inflatables in the size range you're looking for, and then make a decision. By the time you add the boat, accessories, motor, and possibly a trailer, we're way past pocket change at that point.

wtrwezel

Recruit
I have owned a few boats over the years and am have always like the idea of inflatables. I am thinking again about getting one to carry in our camper when we travel. A small one, probably an airfloor.

Some years ago when I was looking at them it seemed there were a few large online dealers. They had full selections of all the major brands (Zodiak, Avon, AB, Achilles, etc.) with what looked like sharp pricing. I remember one was in Annapolis, I think.

Now I can't seem to find much of anything. The legacy brands seem to only be sold at scattered small marinas, with no real info on-line. There are some new brands on the block which I am not familiar with, but get pretty good reviews. When I do find a halfway decent looking dealer on line they seem to be in England or sometimes Canada.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I would search the websites of the major inflatable boat manufacturers, usually they will give the nearest dealers to your location. West Marine and Speciality Boats in Ventura are my go to spots. You might also try some of the larger sporting goods stores and tackle shops.

db4570

Cadet
I am starting to look more closely at the Sea Eagle Sport Runabouts, and am impressed. The drop stitch floor looks like an impressive feature.

Their website talks about the inflatable floor as a separate piece. Is that correct? I assumed it was all constructed together with the rest of the tubes and inflatable chambers. Is the floor the same thing as the keel?

It sounds from reviews that people really like the higher pressure floor/keel in the Sea Eagle for better handling. Does anyone know how these compare to other brands with inflatable keels, (like the Zodiak Aero series I was originally leaning toward)?

Chief Petty Officer
Air floors eventually leak, allow flex and compromise structural rigidity so ultimately you will have worse performance when compared to a soft bottom plywood or aluminum floor.

Where they shine is in weight savings, and convenience ... specifically setup times. Air floors are my favorite by far.

Please avoid the new Zodiac Aeros they are made in China and will fall apart.

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Hey dB, yes, the floor is separate and easy to remove/install. The drop stitch floor is surprisingly stiff. I'm 195lbs and it was rock solid. When we visited the showroom they asked if we did a lot of fishing or diving. I told them no. They recommended the air floor saying it would be less weight and faster assembly. The inflatable keel is what sold me.. compared to other inflatables I tried, the Sea Eagle turns on a dime and tracks straight as an arrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20190506_154923.jpg
    IMG_20190506_154923.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 6

db4570

Cadet
Hey dB, yes, the floor is separate and easy to remove/install. The drop stitch floor is surprisingly stiff. I'm 195lbs and it was rock solid. When we visited the showroom they asked if we did a lot of fishing or diving. I told them no. They recommended the air floor saying it would be less weight and faster assembly. The inflatable keel is what sold me.. compared to other inflatables I tried, the Sea Eagle turns on a dime and tracks straight as an arrow.
Are the floor and the keel separate pieces? In your picture, it looks permanently attached. I assume that's not the removable part.

I'm trying to understand how it all goes together.

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, the keel is attached to the bottom of the boat, but, the floor is completely separate. Check out this older video, the first 4 minutes should answer your questions....

SanAntonio

Recruit
I bought the kind of boat everyone on here is saying not to - a cheap one from China lol. I want to use it as a cheap fishing boat along the flats in the Gulf of Mexico.

I don’t know what I’m doing but have wanted to try it for a long time. Here’s what I’ve ordered or picked up so far:

14’ Saturn Heavy Duty fishing boat. (With an electric pump. Trasom Wheels and shipping $2300) - on order.
20 HP Tohatsu with electric start. ($3300 at a local dealer - on order)
Lowrance (sp?) 9” triple something finder ($600 Academy - on sale from $890)
25 gallon Moeller tank -

I want to DIY the tank into a live well - but will start with using it as a large bucket with bait in removable 5 gallon mesh holders I’ve been using wade fishing. I throw em in the s
Gulf and change water now and again.

I don’t know how any of this will work together. Just wanted to start buying and building lol. In a couple years I’ll get a “real” boat if I use it often.

Chief Petty Officer
Don't just start buying. Plan ahead. There are no refunds.
That being said, buy what you like, and what makes you happy.
Life's short.

Your boat will be about 250 lbs.
Your outboard will be about 100 lbs.
Invest in a trailer , or go to the gym and practice lifting 350 lbs.
Believe me it's not fun after 8 hours on the water.

SanAntonio

Recruit
Don't just start buying. Plan ahead. There are no refunds.
That being said, buy what you like, and what makes you happy.
Life's short.

Your boat will be about 250 lbs.
Your outboard will be about 100 lbs.
Invest in a trailer , or go to the gym and practice lifting 350 lbs.
Believe me it's not fun after 8 hours on the water.
I put a lot of time into picking the boat and motor and plan to build a trailer this summer if I hate launching it and inflating it at the beach as much as I think I will.

I finish up my coast trips with a long drive down a beach that I won’t do with a boat on a trailer. I’m guessing I will want a trailer, but figured it was worth a try.

The rest I did not see great DIY info and figure I’ll make it work. Wife and kids won’t want to all come with me more than a few times and then I’ll have more flexibility with the limited space.

Chief Petty Officer
I put a lot of time into picking the boat and motor and plan to build a trailer this summer if I hate launching it and inflating it at the beach as much as I think I will.

I finish up my coast trips with a long drive down a beach that I won’t do with a boat on a trailer. I’m guessing I will want a trailer, but figured it was worth a try.

The rest I did not see great DIY info and figure I’ll make it work. Wife and kids won’t want to all come with me more than a few times and then I’ll have more flexibility with the limited space.

Since it's your first time, and you don't currently have a trailer , buy what you can comfortably lift in and out of the trunk of your vehicle . Start small and work your way up.

Personally I go to the gym everyday and can deadlift over 400 lbs , but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to do that on weekends.

dw1911

Recruit

Any suggestions? Thanks!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Have you looked at the Honwave models ? Made by Honda, or associated with at least.
Suzumar are excellent too. That said, both I’ve mentioned aren’t cheap in anyway. You get what you pay for I suppose.
Just recently, a friend bought one from a brand I’d never heard of here, in the UK. The brand was called “Bison”. Since realised that they are apparently made by Mercury marine. Perhaps they might be a well known thing where you are ? Seems to be well made anyway.
I have a wee suzumar Sib and also a small valiant rib, as well as the very excellent (but expensive) Brig rib. Sized at 2.2, 2.5 and 2.75 metres respectively.
Here is a wee picture of the small 2.5m valiant, flying along at around 23 mph with her slightly OTT 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke.

Attachments

• 5B7C7C31-E6F8-447A-96AD-D2D71C6E0674.png
    5B7C7C31-E6F8-447A-96AD-D2D71C6E0674.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 3