When to change the steering cable

Chris51280

Ensign
Ok, stupid question. I see some videos where they use one finger to move the steering wheel. I have an I/O Alpha Gen 1 (1990) with power steering. I know my hydraulics are good. That was overhauled 4 years ago with a new pump and also the actuator got looked over with no leaks. However, how do I know if I need to replace the cable. I can turn the wheel with one hand and in the 4 years I owned this boat, the steering didn't get any worse and is pretty consistent.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is there corrosion behind the steering rod tied to the outdrive steering arm? The part where the exposed steering cable and steering cable rod meet.

Significant corrosion there can cause the steering to seize up.

If someone holds the outdrive firmly still with engine off, do you have any discernable slop/play when moving the steering wheel quickly left and right?

Chris51280

Ensign
there is a little bit of slop in the steering wheel. No rust on the rod that comes out from the cable.

I just wondered. Do these system even run that easy that you can spin the wheel with one finger? I just don't want to change out parts and have the same results.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
there is a little bit of slop in the steering wheel. No rust on the rod that comes out from the cable.

I just wondered. Do these system even run that easy that you can spin the wheel with one finger? I just don't want to change out parts and have the same results.

Define a "little". How much slop exists? You should be able to describe it based on the radius/angle of how much the steering wheel moves before the cable is affected.

If you can't describe it, I think you need to get an experienced second opinion involved that uses a lot of boats on a regular basis.

Chris51280

Ensign
but what does slop in the steering have to do with how stiff the steering is?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I knew my cable had to be replaced when it literally took two hands to turn the steering wheel. It was really really tough to turn it.

I also have power steering with hydraulic actuator.
Mine is a 18 ft bow rider with a 4.3L Mercruiser.

If you need to replace it, you will be replacing the complete cable, inner core and outer sheath.
Look for a part number on the outside of the existing cable sheathing.

Tie a wire or strong string to the old one before you pull it out. Use that to pull in the new one in. The route of the cable is important. That's why you want to make sure the new one takes the same exact route.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Neighbor has one that does turn that easy, problem is, he can never take his hand off or it will turn immediately!
Mine is easy, but wont turn itself if you take your hands off. My Islander had no power steering, wasn't hard to turn underway but a bit stiff when docking or maneuvering at slow speed, you definetly needed two hands !!

Chris51280

Ensign
Neighbor has one that does turn that easy, problem is, he can never take his hand off or it will turn immediately!
Mine is easy, but wont turn itself if you take your hands off. My Islander had no power steering, wasn't hard to turn underway but a bit stiff when docking or maneuvering at slow speed, you definetly needed two hands !!
That's my concern too. I don't want it too easy. Maybe that is why they have the non feed back cables steering. Since I don't have anything to compare it to, I just have to make a best guess. Most people buy used boats like me but don't know how it should feel when new. I do not have to use two hands but it is a firm steering with no problems going left or right. I could try the lube solution with the compressed air into the cable.

I know the cable is supposed to be lightly oiled. weight 30 or atf fluid? Kroil? Definitely not WD40. What would you use without gumming up the inside

flashback

Captain
Just a heads up, if you choose to replace the cable insure no electrical wires are tied to it..

airshot

Rear Admiral
That's my concern too. I don't want it too easy. Maybe that is why they have the non feed back cables steering. Since I don't have anything to compare it to, I just have to make a best guess. Most people buy used boats like me but don't know how it should feel when new. I do not have to use two hands but it is a firm steering with no problems going left or right. I could try the lube solution with the compressed air into the cable.

I know the cable is supposed to be lightly oiled. weight 30 or atf fluid? Kroil? Definitely not WD40. What would you use without gumming up the inside
I use a product called " cable lube" designed for shielded cables. I use it on my cables on my side x side and atv's as well as lawn mower and other cables. From your description, your tension sounds about right to me.