Wheel bearing grease okay?

model14

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 26, 2013
Messages
118
Is it okay to use wheel bearing grease in the splined couplings, or should I use the Quicksilver spline grease? Don't want to spend money where I don't need to. I have lots of black bearing grease for my trailer wheels.
Richard
 

cr2k

Captain
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
3,730
Re: Wheel bearing grease okay?

The splines take a lot of pressure. You should use spline grease but you can use a grease with a PTFE rating like Red Tacky. When engine removal is required to fix the problem you really want to use a suitable lube. A Coupler is $200-300 the shaft about $100 plus the teardown to replace.
 

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
302
Re: Wheel bearing grease okay?

To quote a very famous man on these forums, Any grease is better then no grease at all.
 

model14

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 26, 2013
Messages
118
Re: Wheel bearing grease okay?

I will use spline grease.
Richard
 

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
14,475
Re: Wheel bearing grease okay?

OMC/Bombardier triple guard grease is one of the best for that application
 
Top