Whats your system for dockside mooring covers

JonBoat55

Seaman Apprentice
Question about how all you guys handle mooring covers dockside. I have a 99 Regal 1800 that I’m going to keep slipped for the first time this coming year. Previous years I kept it on the trailer and (with the original snap canvas covers not being water proof anymore) I was able to throw a cover over it no problem, being able to tie it down with the trailer.

I’ve been looking around and wondering if anyone has a good system for OEM boat covers to use with mooring. I don’t want to worry to much about it staying secure, I’m about 30 minutes away from the marina. Everything I’m finding, even the $400 and up covers, seem to rely on straps going under the bow.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Your only real secure/ water proof cover is to get one custom made. Have the maker understand how your boat is moored and what kind of acess you will have while it is moored!! No way an over the counter cover will be waterproof and have an easy way to put it on, unless you buy a cover and create a snappy system of your own. Have had numerous covers for moored boats in my 60 plus years of boating. It takes a well made and designed cover to make it waterproof and have the ability to put on and take off at the dock !!! Not gonna be cheap in this day and age...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agree with above

Canvas must have waterproofing reapplied every 6-12 months (even sunbrella). 303 fabric protector

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep, have it made from sunbrella or comparable.
Had this made about 10 years ago, re-seamed two years ago. Needs replacement now but it sat year round in snow and rain for 6 years. Had I properly taken care of it, it would go another 10 years no problem

My next one will include a zipper access so I have easy access when I just want to sneak in there to get something or whatever.

Pictures not great sorry

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9

tpenfield

Staff member
Like the other guys said . . . go for water-proofing the existing mooring covers, either through the application of a water-proofing product, or a re-make of the covers.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with the others. I’ve had custom made covers (made from Sunbrella) on all my boats. Not inexpensive but worth every single penny. Get a custom made cover.

briangcc

Commander
Snap on bow and cockpit covers. Waterproof them when water no longer beads up and falls off.

These are factory Sunbrella.

Beagleville

Seaman
There's no easy way to tarp a boat on a slip...I mean, it's not like you can walk around it to do the snaps. You may find that you prefer keeping it on the trailer. I keep my 17' Lund on a Shoredocker ramp which resembles a boat trailer without wheels. Crank it up onthe ramp, tarp it. Not to mention that I don't worry about banging around on the dock if a storm comes up.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For about 2 years I used a trailerable cover in the water. I had cleat cut-outs and support poles with snaps inside. I'd climb on the swim platform to pull the drawstring tight and tie off and then had one long strap I'd walk around the boat to secure the cover under the hull to the other side. It worked well at keeping the boat clean but was a total handful and time-consuming process so we eventually had a proper snap on cover made again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My new to me cobalt has a great cover that uses the ratchet strap to tighten the webbing on the edge of the cover. I have no issues putting it on at our dock with the dock on only one side of the boat.

It is an expensive cover though.

PXL_20220904_160137038.jpg

PXL_20210517_200605358 (2).jpg