what's this outdrive? .. boat pics too

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello<br /> I recently got a 1964 glassmaster with a Mercruiser 110 hp (153 ci). There is no tag at all on the outdrive, looking around I am guessing it to be a mercruiser type, or 1a, or 1b, or 1c, or II. The part that is throwing me is that the hydraulic hoses pass through the transom, wher emost of the pics I have seen show it going into the gimbal housing. Incidentally, I need new hydraulic hoses<br /><br />This is my first time posting a picture here, so please bear with me if it take a few attempts
f648d74c.jpg

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what's this outdrive? .. boat pics too

Mark.. sorry for it taking me so long to get pics.. here are a few more
f648dbc6.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey, that's a nice looking boat. I like the idea of a 153 cid motor, bet it will push that boat along well and go easy on the gas. I think its a 4 cylinder, right? Piece of cake to work on.<br /><br />Interesting bulkhead under the dash there, haven't seen one like that before. That lapstrake hull will track like it's on rails. If you have ever driven a boat that wanders, you will really appreciate lapstrake designs. And the wide flair to the bow will keep the spray off you and cut the water well. Can you post a shot from the front?<br /> <br />Keep posting!<br /><br />Mark

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

OMG!!!! Egg figured out the world of digital images and posting them online too!!! I knew there was a reason it is snowing out..hell really did freeze over!!!<br /><br />JK man.<br /><br />Boat still looks good. My only suggestion is that you by an new coupler on the trailer so that it takes a 2" ball..that way I can "borrow" the boat next year without having to change out my ball :) <br /><br />PS...might want to post the pictures of the outdrive on the Outdrive forums.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi MArk<br /> here is the whole album<br /> http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2330115093&congratulation_page=Y <br /><br />It is a 4 cycl and is so easy to work on, I got several engine parts in the basement now for cleaning,new gaskets etc. Man, the carb is a mess (rebuilding it now). I have tried lapstrake, trihull, and smooth Vee before, I know what you mean about the wandering, I love the lines of the boat. Lot's of work to go. I am planning on replacing that bulkhead with something that has a door, maybe make a slider, I haven't decided yet, that will be one of the last things anyways.<br /><br />I can't wait to try it out, I bet 110 HP on this thing will be fun.<br /><br />I got to head to Doug Russell again tomorrow, got to exchange some parts, pick up more....and so it goes<br /><br />cheers<br />e

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That drive looks like a Merc "r" drive, also called a pre-alpha

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was attributing the snow to a delay effect from the Sox winning the World series.... OR you actually figured out how to fix your own boat!! (touche!). I will probably be stealing my brother's tow vehicle, I will see what he has for a coupler as well. Either way, the trailer is far down on the list for me<br /><br />Waterone, thanks, I will research the 'R' drives and see what it is all about

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

made soem progress today. Got the carb pretty much rebuilt, had one questiojn I poasted on the MErcruiser forum. I Acid -soaked the riser, water elbow and water jacket. WOW did a lot of crud come out of there, but WOW the riser flows water so much better and the other items look great. The exhaust manifold will get the same treatment next weekend. I got to go to Las Vegas (baby!) for the rest of the week on a business trip :( I think I would rather keep working. I am dying to finish the engine and see what it sounds like!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Eggkr8,<br /><br />Just browsed your photo album and I am envious that so much of the original hardware is still intact. Really neat guage cluster, steering wheel and hardware. I take it the seats are history, but that gives you the freedom to put in what you want! The windshield looks like an easy one to install a new piece of polycarbonate or plexiglass. Should look really nice when all cleaned up.<br /><br />Mark.

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

That boat looks so much like a 68 Mark Twain I bought on ebay awhile back. What a dream to work on, too. I bought it, sight unseen, because it was dirt cheap. The guy didn't know anything, except that the engine had been fully winterized. He didn't even know what was in it. Wonderful to get home and find a 160 mercruiser that started right up. I love that boat, but am going to have to sell it. I just don't have the time, and it's in Illinois. You've got a good looking project there, Egg. Best of luck with it.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

I think that outdrive has been cobbled together from 2 different eras.<br /><br />I have one like that too. It started out as a 'white' one on the back of a '66 boat. No hydralulics on it. It just had a steel shaft like a old style or non-tilt & trim outboard to set the 'tilt' angle, and a reverse lock you had to reach over and set to keep it from climbing up when you reversed it and those little shock absorbers.<br /><br />As it evolved, I put it on a late 60's hull behind a 153 Chevy 4cyl., and combined it with parts from a '68 black one that had hydraulics. I took the little shocks off when I combined the two and painted all of it black. <br /><br />It looks OK. But it has a early 60's upper case & gimbel ring, with a late 60's gimbel housing & hydraulics, and a early 70's era lower unit that wants to let the oil go all the way up into the upper case, but there's no passage for it to reach up there and fill the upper case. <br /><br />Engine parts are getting easier to find for the 153 too. A lot of the newer cars use the basic engine. You can find lots of cyl. heads from the 80's that have the hardened valve seats to ease your fears of running cheap no-lead gas in it. Plus, electronic ign. distributors, etc.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mark, <br />you basically just listed everything I liked about the boat when I checked it out. Lots of work ahead, but I can see what I want it to be when I am done. There were no seats when I bought it. I was told that it had two back-toback-'s and they could slide down to become like a bed or lounge thing.<br /><br />Winger. After spending an hour at Doug Russell today, we determined that my exhaust riser and manifold are to a 120 HP. And that my water elbow and jacker jacket were part of a Qucksilver freshwater kit. Either the old information is a bit twisted or indeed this boat went to Frankenstein and Sons marina for work. Assuming the latter, I would agree with you. The one sticking point is this did come stock with tilt<br /><br />Thanks<br />e

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Egg, How do you post pctures like that. I'm trying to but can't seem to get it to work.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Eggkr8:<br /> <br />WingerEither the old information is a bit twisted or indeed this boat went to Frankenstein and Sons marina for work.
I can't help but chuckle..<br /><br />When you get into these old Mercruisers a little more, you'll find out they interchange parts across the generations like a 'small block' Chevy V-8.<br /><br />Last year, I finally traded off my '84 Chevy truck with about 350,000 miles on it I'd had for over 10 years. <br /><br />By the time I got out of it:<br /><br />To name a few modifications that went flawlessly onto it--<br /><br />I put in a wrecking yard- '87 engine that had to be changed from EFI back to the '84 4bbl carb before it was driveable. No computer, just a HEI ignition & distributor from the 70's. A '88 or so turbo-700 trans. with a 'hot-rod' after market push button under the dash to let it in & out of overdrive. A $5. manuel choke cable & knob due to the unknown vintage intake manifold that didn't have a 'choke stove' on it. A unknown era- maybe a late 60's set of 3/4 ton springs in the back. A early 90's bench seat. <br /><br /><br />Those old 4cyl Mercruisers aren't much different in how their components interchange. On my '68 boat- I have all the different major components of the engine & outdrive from all through the mid-late 60's (including a few components from the 70's) and on into late 80's.<br /><br />And it runs great too. I never hesitate go 'over the horizon' from where I parked the truck. <br /><br />People see the boat all fresh and clean, with everything working, and due to its 'lines' ask, "How old is this thing"?<br /><br />I tell them, "Well, 'Old' is such an ugly word. I try not to use it much. I like to refer to this old boat sort of like the Johnny Cash song, 'A piece at a Time', or whatever he called it". <br /><br /><br />I think you may have a fine old lady like that too.<br /><br />Ed.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

cadillac song, and it won't cost me a dime, youl know its me when i float thru your town he he

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW I didn't know iboats had a karoake forum. My turn!<br />" you never close your eyes anymore, when I kiss you lii-iips" (hey where did that boo-ing come from?)<br /><br />Just kidding. The main reason for my amazement is that I bought it from the family of the original owner he passed away last year) and that he had it serviced at one shop the whole time. <br /><br />Have gone through my share of old cars (including an 88 chevy blazer that sounds scaringly similar to Winnger Ed.'s!) I usually only see this level of Frankenstein mechanics from a multiple owner vehicle

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey Eggkr8,<br /><br />Can you say "Monster Garage"?

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man I love that show!!

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

In this case...wouldn't it be<br /><br /><br /> MONSTER MARINE ?