what's the difference 48SPL and 50HP?

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why make a 48 when you already have a 50? Is there any difference (besides 2 claimed HP) in these engines?

My understanding is the SPL stands for "special".... special what?

Was there some rule somewhere about no engines 50HP and over that caused these to be made to "skirt" the rule???

I'm considering buying a 1991 48SPL, 20" shaft with TNT... and I'm wondering about parts availability as I've only ever seen one of them before... do the 50HP parts of the same years pretty much interchange?

Or... please don't tell me these were some kind of "economy version" engine that were built to a price point thus the name "special"....

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: what's the difference 48SPL and 50HP?

My understanding is that the SPL does stand for Special and that these were bare-bones economy versions of the regular models.

I was also told that they were released to compete with cheaper versions of motors coming out from other brands.

Some, or maybe all, of the SPL motors were crossflow scavenged induction as opposed to loop-charged induction. This means they are not as good on fuel as their loop charged counterparts. (Although they idle a heck of a lot smoother).

With that said I've known people that had the SPL models and thought they were great. Someone with more knowledge will surely be along to give you a more complete story on these motors.

Cheers!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the spl's have been around many, many years, originally they were for commercial use, less frills, today they still have less frills, and you have to premix the fuel. they do not have the Oil Mixing System OMS, VRO fuel pumps. you can now get trim and tilt, and other accessories, as regular motors.

i personally prefer the SPL's 28, 48, 88, 112.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

please don't tell me these were some kind of "economy version" engine that were built to a price point thus the name "special"....

Sorry but they are "less frills" motors.