Whats a good inflatable to tow?

5280Hawk

Cadet
I want to buy an inflatable to tow behind my Boat, (when i get it)

Im buying a Bayliner 185 next summer, and would like to tow a smaller boat behind it for camping trips at Lake Powell.

I have a family of four, and there's not going to be enough room for us and all our gear on the "big" boat.:D

My idea is to load up the inflatble with camping gear, probably no more than a few hundred pounds and Tow it down the lake, slowly, to a camp site. I don't want to capsize and all my gear end up 100 feet under! I also don't want to spend more than $3-400, and i don't want a toy raft either.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Whats a good inflatable to tow?

It is not generally recommend to tow an inflatable with any weight in it with the exception of the engine on the transom. Bear in mind that the two tow rings are inserted into a piece of material that is just glued on. You risk the chance of pulling the tow ring right off the inflatable. Have you thought of simply making two trips to the camp site, one with family and the second with gear? Much less expensive than purchasing an inflatable and you will get there much quicker. You are not going to find a quality inflatable in the
$300-$400 price range unless you find a used one that someone just wants to get rid of.

Neverhome

Drowned Rat

Captain

Agree with Neverhome,

The manufacturers state to not even have an engine mounted when towing. If you're looking to tow gear behind your boat, this is not the way to do it. I understand making two trips at Lake Powell also is NOT the preferred method. :) They do make an "aqua trailer" thingie that says it's got a 300# load limit. It's like a tube towable but it covers your gear and can be towed on plane. Never used one, but I don't know of another option. I take two boats when we camp at Powell, one is for gear only. It's a nightmare at the ramp, but we launch at dusk usually and it's not that busy.

Here's what I'm talking about.
http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/SEV/SEVATC250.html

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if you want to, but some people will have the other inflatable in their boat or tow vehicle and then just inflate it when they get there. I know that things are a tight fit already but this options is much safer than towing two trailers. It's bad enough already when people swerve in front of you and slam on their brakes when you only have one trailer behind you. Trailer brakes are helpful in such cases but how many inflatable trailers have those? By just having one trailer you save money on gas, you don't have to buy another trailer, and you don't have to store or maintain that other trailer.

Right here on iboats they have a good selection of boats which would be what you are looking for. Some even have free shipping:
http://www.iboats.com/Inflatable_Boats_Dinghies_Tenders_Sport_Boats/dm/view_id.17

All that said, I still do like having a trailer, but I only have one boat right now. If you do go with the trailer, make sure the inflatable is pumped up properly and tied down really tight...or per your manufacturers instructions if different.

5280Hawk

Cadet

Oh yes, I would definately inflate it once i got to the lake.

this is what i am leaning towards.

s7_017459_imageset_01

Im talking 10 mph max. not much faster that the House boats go.