What year / model is this Grew boat?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
1,458
HI,

I picked up this partialy restored Grew boat a few weeks ago and the previous owner didn't know the year and model. It's 17ft and probably from around 1980 but I'm not sure.

The boat itself rides great! I had it out in the straight of georgia of the weekend and this boat takes the waves like a tank.

Pictures attached, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
 

Attachments

  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
204
Re: What year / model is this Grew boat?

No serial number on the exterior of the transom? Any photos of the interior?

Mark
 

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
1,458
Re: What year / model is this Grew boat?

Nope, no serial numbers anywhere on the boat. I think when the restoration work was done he may have replaced the transom as it looks like new glass work.

Here are some pics of the interior and stern.
 

Attachments

  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
1,458
Re: What year / model is this Grew boat?

After an exaustive search on the net I think I've found the model of this boat.

I measured my boat from bow to stern (16ft2inch) and the beam is 6.5ft. Now the previous owner told me it was a 17ft so that had been throwing me off.

The only model of grew from that era that matches these measurements is the 1980 Grew 164. This boat was an I/O like all there others from 79 to 81. At least that's what my impression was.

So this means that somewhere along the line this boat was converted from an I/O to an outboard drive. Looking closely at the transom and splash area in the back it seems plausible... either it was done really well and I just can't tell or it came from the factory like that.

Anybody out there have a picture of a 1980 Grew 164? or can you tell by the pics I've posted that this one is or is not a 164?

Thanks for your help!
 

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
4,603
Re: What year / model is this Grew boat?

The 1980's models ending in 4 are nothing like your boat. They have vee shaped windshields and were not based on Slickcraft designs.
Your boat is a Grew SS170. Same as a Slickcraft SS170, but built in Penetang by Grew.
Would need a closer pic of the foredeck cleat, or the dash, but I would estimate 1971-1974.
Good hull.
Mahogany stringers.
There's hundreds of those boats still in use in the Muskokas and Kawarthas.
 

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
1,458
Re: What year / model is this Grew boat?

Hey thanks so much for your reply. I found one pic of a 69 slickcraft SS170 and it looks pretty close.

Here are some better pictures of my boat. Maybe you will be able to tell from these.

Thanks again!

IMG_3982.JPG


IMG_3980.JPG


IMG_3985.JPG


IMG_3986.JPG
 

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
1,458
Re: What year / model is this Grew boat?

The closest match I can find is the 1969 Slickcraft SS170V. This model had the same windshield, same hull and chine layout and the same stern. The pics I found, people had customized some but its the same boat.

Still couldn't find any examples from 71-74 but this 69 confirms it for me.

Thanks!

http://slickcraft.multiply.com/photos/album/88/69_SS170##photo=46
 
Top