What year is this Mercury outboard please

gonefishing1

Cadet
Hi I'm thinking about buying a mercury black max off ebay for a $1000.00. The guy says it is a 1989 but the numbers he gave me say three diffrent years. Can someone please help me with this. The numbers are 6312919 thank you

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: What year is this Mercury outboard please

Hi I'm thinking about buying a mercury black max off ebay for a $1000.00. The guy says it is a 1989 but the numbers he gave me say three diffrent years. Can someone please help me with this. The numbers are 6312919 thank you
That serial number comes up as 1983 MERCURY 2.0L 150 ELPT Model number: 1150623 (V-6)

Here would be the parts for it when you need them someday.;)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=818855

gonefishing1

Cadet

Thank you I was coming up with 83 to 86. What do you think about the price? I have not bought it yet so please let me have it. Also what are some of the things I should be looking for?

jbonefc3s87

Cadet

if he can do a compression test, that would be the first thing to look at. Find out what the factory specs are and see how it compares to the motor you wish to purchase. Also ask if it shifts into both forward and reverse smoothly. Maybe even ask him when the last time the impeller was replaced, just to get an idea on how its been maintained

gonefishing1

Cadet

Hi thank you for the reply. I was thinking of taking a compression tester and some gas and see if I could hear it run. The only thing is that the motor is off the boat so this might be hard to do. Thanks for your input. I need to go into this armed so everything I can find out now will save me from taking it in the you know later.