What year is my 35hp Chrysler

IRCRAZYWEIRDO

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
30
I was told by the previous owner that the engine was a '74 but I do not know for sure. The model # is 3551 the serial # is 2189. Thank you in advance if you can identify the year.
 

heman37

Cadet
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
24
Re: What year is my 35hp Chrysler

i also have an older 35 hp made by chrysler, it is the chrysler viking , i think it is a 1973 , i was wondering what plugs you run , i currently am runnig the champion L82C , but was wondering if NGK would be any better and i am currently run the motor on 87 octane, was wondering what i should be running on. my model # 354921 and serial is 1122 , great to see that i am not the only person with an older chrysler motor , it is a very reliable motor, well so far anyways. thanks for any help. it is greatly appreciated.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: What year is my 35hp Chrysler

I would guess 1969. I do not find exact match for the last two numbers however I believe 69 was the only year chrysler used 4 diget numbers with no letters
 

IRCRAZYWEIRDO

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
30
Re: What year is my 35hp Chrysler

I need to buy lower unit seals due to a leak and I can't find out my engine year to order. PLEASE HELP!<br />I was told by the previous owner that the engine was a '74 but I do not know for sure. The model #3551 the serial #2189. Thank you in advance if you can identify the year.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: What year is my 35hp Chrysler

A 1974 motor would be 360HB or 361HA. Your motor is from 1969 however seals from a 1974 will work for it as well. NAPA can get you the kit you need it is part number 18-2636. You will need to make a gasket for the gasket that separates the upper and lower lower unit pieces.
 

ircrazyandweird

Recruit
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
2
Re: What year is my 35hp Chrysler

I ordered the part today from Napa, thanks for all the help. Hopefully this will be the end of this thread.
 

IRCRAZYWEIRDO

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
30
Re: What year is my 35hp Chrysler

I called tech support at BoatingSolutions.com and they said it is a '69. 18-2630 is the correct lower unit seals. Thanks for your help!
 
Top