What would You have done???

Stratosfied

Ensign
What would you have done, having all the power of the President of The United States since 9/11? How whould you direct the forces to combat the forces which attacked us, not only on 9/11, but in earlier, smaller attacks. This is not a troll, but I would like to gather is how people would have reacted to all this. I will post my thoughts later.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What would You have done???

Not given the blessing of hindsight that so many have used to second guess them, I would probably have done pretty much what Clinton and Bush have done.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

When the attack on the marines in Lebanon happened,Reagan continued a trend of non confrontation by pulling the marines out and shooting up some mountain sides with the United States battle cruiser "Missoury".This was a very clear signal for any potential anti-American group that you can get at U.S. property without having to pay the bill.Bush the elder and Clinton tried to reverse the post-Vietnam syndrom of non-violence but not in a very belligerent way. America's enemies were having a party.(The first attack on the twin Towers,the US embassies,the Cole)In Israel we were flabbergasted that America was taking all of this laying down.We learned the hard way that you got to kill them while they are small.We were expecting the US to recall the spooks and start picking 'm off in a very effective and quiet way.Instead there was much concern about being just(a malaise the terrorists did not suffer of).<br />I do not agree agree with the current broad attack policy because it makes the Army too unwieldy to be effective against terrorism and the cost of it all does a lot of damage to the american economy.<br />In the fight against terror the army should be used as a scalpel to cut out the rot and not as a sledgehammer.It would be a good idea if the US would use the experience of some of its allies who have dealt with this problem instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

crab bait

Captain

i wish we'd of went after the terrorist groups as per afganistan.. an stay in full force in afganistan an for once an complete a job.. not half bass it.. an move on to another country.. an leave the half blowed-up up one worst off then the taliban control..<br /><br />iraq ,, it wasn't goin' anywhere.. they were under a microscope.. it's a sovernign country..even i knew,, a man like hussein wants it his way an his way only.. ruled hard his way.. an to much ego to let other terrorist to lurk in his country.. sadam was doin' us a favor.. <br /><br />in many ways we would of been better off to let iraq alone for now an pick off the cells one by one two by two.. <br /><br />now where in a bogged down quagmire..an we ain't goin' anywhere..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Second guessing the past presidents is tough to do because they knew a lot of the intimate details that we will never know. I think Clinton Bush did what they thought was correct.<br /><br />Also, it is tough to get back in the mind frame pre 9/11.<br /><br />My thoughts on Iraq are very simple. Iraq was a sworn enemy of the USA. They would love to do us harm. Pre 9/11 we were content to let Saddam stay in power, cause he hasnt really attacked us. Post 9/11 we are now seeking out and eliminating our enemies.<br /><br />Who is next? My opinion, there must be an end to Palistine/Israel. Force Israel out of the captured land, and go after all the Palistine terrorists. Many Palistinians are our sworn enemies, and therefore, we must attack them, before they attack us. This should be done in a covert way, not with an army. If we dont eliminate these idiots, even if we give them everything they want, they will want more, cause all they know is hate and terror.<br /><br />Ken

JB

I agree that Israel's tactics of using the Mossad as an instrument of justice has been effective against international terrorism, as was the raid on Entebbe. <br /><br />However, the Mossad did not spring out of the ground fully effective. It takes years to develop an effective covert force of that skill, and it takes public support of assassination to use it. We had, and have neither. What might we be developing now? Who knows.<br /><br />Iraq. I think GW's analysis of the roots of the problem was (is) that Al Queda's Jihad is born of frustration and anger at the typical Middle Eastern person's, and Islam's lack of power. I think he decided that creating a model of liberty and self government would show them peaceful ways of achieving that power and prosperity. He chose to replace the troublesome, secular, dangerous and defiant Iraq with that model and kill two birds with one stone.<br /><br />What would I do now? I would certainly (secretly)build an anti-terrorist organization based on the Mossad model to hunt down and kill terrorists, and I would continue the Iraq/Afganistan strategy to fruition.<br /><br />I would also find a way to get more balanced and positive media coverage of world and domestic events. If we'd had today's media covering WWII, we would probably have lost. Japan would rule the Pacific, and Germany would rule Europe. Their lust for extended coverage of any discouraging, alarming, scandalous or sensational story, rumor or accusation has seriously eroded our national unity. We are at war, and part of winning that war is maintaining support in the face of difficulty. The media must be part of it, not an additional enemy.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

well stated JB,<br />I would add the word "economic" before "power" though. <br />starving, unemployed young men with absolutely<br />no chance of making a better life for themselfs<br />or for their family are easy targets for these<br />religious terrorists IMHO.<br />I would also make more of an attempt to include<br />more "real" muslim clerics and the Koran's true<br />teachings of peace and understanding for your<br />fellow man. as with the media, only the radicals<br />get any coverage or consideration in most cases.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /><br /><br />I would also find a way to get more balanced and positive media coverage of world and domestic events. If we'd had today's media covering WWII, we would probably have lost. Japan would rule the Pacific, and Germany would rule Europe. Their lust for extended coverage of any discouraging, alarming, scandalous or sensational story, rumor or accusation has seriously eroded our national unity. We are at war, and part of winning that war is maintaining support in the face of difficulty. The media must be part of it, not an additional enemy.
I agree JB. I have yet to see ONE positive report on Iraq. Maybe I missed it? Surely we must be doing something correctly.<br /><br />I can make one positive point right now. The Iraq people are angered by the torture photos. While this really made us look bad, the one positive thing about this, they have the RIGHT to SEE those photos. Under Saddam, those torture photos would never had made it to the paper.<br /><br />Ken

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

Al Jazeera reported the sad incident but made<br />no mention that arrests had been made... :rolleyes: <br />we need to be pro-active in these cases and get<br />our side of the story across to the arab world<br />somehow!<br />the real problem here is that this is all new<br />to us and we are still figuring out how to deal<br />with this new threat. as time goes on, we will<br />do a much better job IMHO.

18rabbit

Captain

For the more part, I stay out of the 9/11 discussions. This is the way I see it:<br /><br />9/11 impresses me as a gentle reminder of the vastness of a problem denied. That event realizes unending service as a rally call for blind, emotional support of a sacrificial political agenda devoid of securing anything beyond its own self-preservation.<br /><br />We can never lose sight of the reasoning behind the necessity to kill the Czar and his family, including his children, ‘les we engage in a war we are unlikely to ever win. At issue is whether we are willing to accept the responsibility to secure a future for our children and ourselves. To do that, Islam and all of its artifacts must be removed from the face of the planet, forever.<br /><br />For the first time in the history of this world, we (humanity) are engaged in a great war that does not have the acquisition of real estate as the core objective. There exists neither reference nor precedence for what we are attempting. As a nation, we have surrendered enough sovereignty that we no longer have the political means necessary to accomplish globally what needs to be done to secure ourselves locally.<br /><br />What would I have done? With the speed of lightening and the grace of God, every Islamic state on this globe would have ceased to exist.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

I can see why you stay out of these discussions, Rabbit.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

FINALLY!!... someone that i can agree with on this matter, 18rabbit those are exactly my sentiments.

bobingardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think President Bush did what needed to be done. He destroyed the government that had protected and nurtured the terrorists. At the time I thought our use of the Nothern Alliance and local tribesmen was brilliant. As the war went on though I became concerned about how easy it was for Taliban leaders to slip out of cities that were surrounded by our allies. In retrsopect I would have provided more troops to search for and kill or capture them and that murdering ******* Ben Laden. <br /><br />If it were up to me I'd get out of Iraq as soon as possible and redirect our forces towards flushing out the terrorists said to be hiding along the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. To do this I'd send the following message to all Iraqis.<br /><br />From: President George W. Bush<br />To: The people of Iraq<br /><br />Subject: Freedom<br /><br />If you people had any concept of what it's like to live in a free and open society where you can practice any religion, read any book, and express your opinion of the government by voting them in and out of office for even the dumbest reasons, then you would know it's something worth fighting for. If you ever want to be free of the opressive, violent, theocratic society you've suffered under for so long get off your dead *** , go get that AK-47 you've been hiding, and drive that jackel Al-Sadir out of your country. Otherwise, I'm sending Saddam back.

JB

Would you exterminate Christianity because of the KKK, 18Rabbit? <br /><br />Islam is a religion of peace and brotherhood. Crackpots like the Al Qaeda twist and distort their religion just as the KKK and other white supremacist groups invoke Christ in their quest to have an all white, so-called Christian world.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Edited.<br />I mis interpreted Rabbits post.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

The problem is not Islam the religion,the problem is having Islamic states or christian states or any religion run state or counrty,once you get religion in the mix of running any country, then the risk of turmoil is exacerbated.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I will post this in for Castaway,.......nuke them.....or SBN......Bomb Them..........<br /><br />seriously..I do not have a clue how I would react do to not having the data that Chiefs of Staff do (US President)....simple all you arm chair quarterbacks!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />any replies to this troll are purely emotion based imo do to lack of data!!!!!!