What would you have done in Vietnam war?

PW2

Commander
Re: What would you have done in Vietnam war?

Good for you, Gonfishin.<br /><br />That was indeed the way it was for many.<br /><br />And there were many more Lt Calley's over there than anyone would like to admit.<br /><br />OTOH, I knew many of that era, and heard many stories, mostly from drunk story tellers, of how it was impossible to tell exactly who the enemy was, who was likely to drop a grenade in your tent, even what age and gender they may be, that I never have faulted or condemned any for what they may have done over there...<br /><br />Except, of course, for Johnson, and McNamara, and Westmoreland, and the others that got us into that terrible conflict, and kept us there for such a very long time.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I wish we could just skip the anti war crap just for this one day! Thousands died three years ago, and we are in a global war right now because of it. Give it a 24 hour rest please :rolleyes: !<br />EDIT: After readin this again, I wouldn't change a word, but just wanted to add that comment was not directed at anyone here, just the whole anti-war thing. I guess my feelings are a bit raw between hurricanes and video clips of the towers falling on every channel on tv today....when does the dang NASCAR race start today, anyway????<br /> So don't take the above as an attack on what anyone has posted to this point.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You said it all GONFSHN! By the way, I like your handle.<br />U.S. Navy 1960-1980

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> this is a silly troll Ken... either you didn't<br />serve and have no clue what you would have really<br />done (like me), or u did serve or dodge or whatever<br />and it's ancient history that you can never change<br />good or bad.<br />no good can/will come from this IMHO, but it can<br />certainly bring up alot of bad feelings...
I did it because of current events. Everyone is critizing Kerry and Bush over what they did, and many of those critizing didnt even have to face that decision.<br /><br />Luckily I didnt have to make any decision, I was born in 1970.<br /><br />Ken

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

I was raised a Marine Corps officers son, Born at Camp Pendelton, Ca. I started school early, not cause I was smart, butt because I finally quit wearing diapers. <br />The lottery was going when I was 16, and a junior in HS. My mother convinced me to check out Canada as a possable option. Okay, I'll take a drive, thats a nice place! The next year they stopped the lottery, '72 and I graduated. <br />It was then, that day that my mother, again, told me that I was suppose to go to a school for officer's sons.?? I was still an imature punk, a good one, I was upset with their decision to never tell me. But hey who chooses their parents?<br />I think I would have been a lifer in the corps. But looking back at the war, I see BS to the max! and glad I was never a part of it. A part of some other selfish turds $profit$

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I voted Unknown. I was registered for the draft. I was seriously considering the Air Force. But in 1973 I was 16, so I never had to make the choice. I would have graduated High School before going into the service if I decided to do so if it had gone that far. But it didn't. In retrospect, I think I would've avoided being drafted by enlisting. I felt it would improve my chances for survival. But since it never happened, I can't say for sure. I would not have dodged the draft. Of that I am certain.<br /><br />I would like to say that if I were able to prevent my son from going into harm's way by getting him into a branch that did not go to the front lines, I probably would. The National Guard and Coast Guard are honorable and crucial branches for the defense of our country. For that I do not fault the Bush's. The fault I find is villifying anybody that did go there. Even if that experience had turned their view against war. Anybody that has fought in a war should be opposed to going to war unless there is absolutely no other choice. Despite the fact that Madman Insane was a Really Bad Guy, I don't think GW was justified in taking us there. I believed there WMDs as did pretty much everybody else. But now Iran and North Korea have nukes (or are about to) and I don't see any invasion plans for those countries with madmen and fanatics at the helm. I don't think this Iraq war has nearly so much to do with eliminating terrorism, removing a bad leader, or stopping the use of WMDs as it does for one simple word. Vendetta. But that discussion belongs in a different thread than this one.