What would you have done in Vietnam war?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
For those of us that didnt live during the time, what would you have done?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: What would you have done in Vietnam war?

I voted not sure, but I would have definately not done anything illegal to avoid the draft. Probably would have tried college, flunked out, and then been drafted. Not because I was against the war, or afraid, but just didnt want to die.<br />I would have done my best once there. <br /><br />Tough subject, I know.<br /><br />I have talked to a few people that had to face this. It was all up to the lottery. Some got picked, some were lucky, some enlisted.<br /><br />Ken

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems to me like it would be difficult to have much confidence in a poll like this one.<br /><br />Much easier call on a Monday morning after the fact. But how realistic is it to presume that one could honestly tell how they would have reacted unless actually faced with the issues those poor kids were (personal ethics & morality considerations, fear, etc?)<br /><br />I know there are Pat Tillmans among us, but I bet not nearly as many as would represent as such.

brother chris

Commander

Well, I am not American, but if I was faced with that choice....I guess I would have to decide at that time. <br />If that choice was upon me now, I would probably go.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I would have enlisted so that I could try and get in an area that fitted to my personality.<br /><br />I will tell you something of my past. My biological mother was in the army at the time in Fort Mead Maryland. She got pregnant by my biological father there in 67. Something happened and they did not get married. She came home and was going to abort me. My grandmother told my mother no way in hell! My mother was going to then put me up for adoption, however once again my grandmother stepped in and threatened to adopt me. My grandmother wanted my mother to live with her choices. Heaven forbid! <br /><br />Well, along come this person who was dateing a sister of my mothers with a plan to get moved back on the draft. He some how convinces my mother to go and lie with him before a judge that I am his. I was about 6 months old at this time. So the court changes the birth cirtificate to this new name and information. This person gets moved back on the draft and doesn't have to ship out. He later abondons us in Texas at a homeless shelter. My mother with no money, three kids and pregnant with a forth, then has to wait for bus money from the family to move back to Ohio. With nothing.<br /><br />So, one man who faces his duty went to Vietnam and has a son he has never met. Another dodged the draft and has led a somewhat luxurous life, and also perfected dodging child support issues.<br /><br />It got worse. But I thought I would share what I know of a certain draft dodger.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I inlisted, but wasn't sent to Veitnam.

DustyJacket

Seaman

I was registered for the draft, but was a student (High School).<br /><br />Later, I became an Army officer. Resigned 6 months before Desert Shield. Missed Grenada. But, I did 8 months in Philippine jungles.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I enlisted, 68, naval reserve, still in high school, guidance counselor called 8 of us juniors down to his office and told us about the naval reserve unit in the next town, told us about college and where we fit into the draft. My sister was a 2nd class corpsman at Bethesda. And she would visit with friends every so often; sometimes she would convey who was GONE! I signed up, did my weekends. Went to Newport on a tender. And was sent home disabled. Four of the fellows at that meeting chose to try college and the luck of the draft. THEY are GONE!<br /> That guidance counselor didn't mention he was the commander of the reserve company.<br /><br />THANK YOU COMANDER HUNT. USNR, GUIDANCE COUNSELOR BLOOMFIELD HIGH NJ. '69.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I too voted in the had to be there catagory. During my senior year we had Desert Storm. I was signed up with the DEP at the time. I had a lot of issues with that war. I was simply too young and ignorant to support it. I would like to sign up now because I believe this is a just cause. Unfortunetely, or fortunetely however you look at it, I am no longer eligable. I'm now 70 pound overweight, high blood pressure, 2 kids, and way too many bills. At 30 it would be extremely hard for me to adjust to the miltary lifestyle. That being said I would still go if it got right down to it. I would hate to leave my family behind but right is right.<br /><br /><br />By the way- My dad enlisted at the age of 16 to serve in Vietnam. He got out of the Navy having never shaved in his life a couple of years later.

Skinnywater

Commander

I had a lot a family and friends that went to Vietnam. Some died, some came home shot up and some came home in one piece.<br />I had a tremendous amount of respect for all of them. As a gung ho type, I wanted to be like them<br /><br />I joined at 17 years old, Sept.'72 as a Combat Engineer (62E20). <br />My prefered duty station was Vietnam.<br />While in basic training, Nixon called the troops home.<br />As a man of steel I was very disappointed.<br />Now, being slightly more rational, I'm grateful and perfectly happy how it all turned out.

PW2

Commander

I too was of the VietNam era. I did not vote in this poll.<br /><br />I was a student during the heighth of the war, but in those days you would lose your student deferment if you were not on track to graduate with your class. As I earned every penny to put myself thru school, and I was not eligible for any sort of financial aid because my family refused to provide any financial information to the schools, it was financially impossible for me to stay on track with my class.<br /><br />I managed to avoid service in VietNam, even though my lottery number was 96.<br /><br />I didn't do it with the smarts that Clinton had, being a Rhodes Scholar, or with the skill that Cheney did, or with the political connections that Bush had, but I did it--legally and honorably.<br /><br />I had lots of friends that were not so lucky as I.<br /><br />Lots of bad things happened in that war. I knew many that were killed, and I knew several that came home with stories of what would be generally considered atrocities.<br /><br />One I knew boasted about them--He was a helicopter pilot and he would tell stories of landing in and around villages, and many locals, in a desperate attempt to escape their situation, would grab on to the runners of the helicopter in a futile attempt to flee. The official Army policy was to raise a few feet, shake them off, and be on your way. What they mostly did was to raise a few hundred feet, and shake them off then, in the hopes that would discourage others. It didn't.<br /><br />Most would not talk about what happened over there unless you got them drunk enough.<br /><br />Some would pass out drunk, and still not talk about it.<br /><br />Some would come home so high on drugs of one sort or another, they did not remember what they did over there. I recall my absolute best buddy from childhood, and my constant skiing companion as kids (we were members of the Stevens Pass racing team, and liked to ski fast) returning, and had fried his brain so much on drugs that he could no longer do anything that involved any sort of fast movement.<br /><br />And he, like myself, never did any sort of drugs prior, and both of us were deathly opposed to them before he went. I would have bet anything he would never have got involved in drugs ever.<br /><br />I'm sure there were some that came back the same as they left, but I did not know any of these people.<br /><br />I will never hold it against anyone who managed to avoid service in that war--Cheney, Clinton, Bush, or anyone else.<br /><br />And Kerry, in my book, was a hero, no so much for what he did in VietNam, but for coming back and speaking out against that war publically.<br /><br />There are wars that clearly need to be fought, and no doubt there probably always will be. WWII, the first Gulf War, Bosnia, Afghanistan, come to mind.<br /><br />But they better be done only when all else fails, and we need clear and irrefutable evidence why it is absolutely necessary. And we ought to go in with a clear executable plan for what we are doing, for winning the war and winning the peace, a clear exit strategy, and an overwhelming force (ala Schwartzkoff) to get the job done quickly and effectively.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I disagree with you on so many levels PW2. So do you still think Kerry is a hero? I mean now that he has done a complete 180 degree spin from his position, after he had come back from that war? Doesn't that say something about a persons character?

crab bait

Captain

i'd been on a swiftboat.. got medals .. came back home.. fought against the stupid war that i fought in an earned medals for an throw thoses 'badges of honor' over the first cottonpickin' wall i saw..<br /><br />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> or <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<br /><br />i'd join the air gaurd.. drink ,party, snort coke, have fun an not show up for duty..

KaGee

Admiral

I graduated High School in '73, just as Nixon was winding down the war. The draft ceased before I was out of school. <br />We used to follow the numbers. Had they been eligible, nearly 1/2 the class would have been drafted at one time or another. <br />I would have enlisted if it looked like I would have made the draft.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

this is a silly troll Ken... either you didn't<br />serve and have no clue what you would have really<br />done (like me), or u did serve or dodge or whatever<br />and it's ancient history that you can never change<br />good or bad.<br />no good can/will come from this IMHO, but it can<br />certainly bring up alot of bad feelings...

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm.... 1968 was the Tet Offensive and the real "heyday" of Vietnam. Where was I? I was at home and going to elementary school. Heck, in 1968, I was only 7 YEARS OLD!!<br /><br />If I could have added 10-11-12 more years onto my life and been a high school graduate, then, sure, I would have enlisted instead of being drafted like most guys did back then.<br /><br />Butch A.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I graduated in '67, joined the AF for 4 years and retired in '92.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Uh tcube, I think your calculator needs new batteries. :p