What was your first job? How much did you get paid?

dolluper

Captain
Re: What was your first job? How much did you get paid?

Researcher Federal Government $ 1.86 Hr

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Part time small engine mechanic (lawnmowers, etc) 1974, $2.75/hr under table. I was in high school.

Laddies

Banned

I was a farm kid, my first job was shoveling sh/t for dad for eats, and any thing else that need shoveled.<br />Later on I worked for other farmers they paid a dollar a day and eats<br />My first job away from the farms was working at a gas station 30 cents an hour<br />I guess this anwser dates me--Bob :)

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Dairy farm - milked cows on a double shift<br />1am to 6am and noon to 5 <br />6 days a week<br />1.10 an hour - no you dont have to pay minimum wage to farm workers<br />1978?<br />It was during the gas crisis and farmers always got gas so we were allowed 2 tanks a week in gas allowance which was HUGE back then.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Pumping gas, $1.10 PH. At the beginning of the mini skirt. Wiping windshields was never so good as then. WoooooooHoooooooo.

mattttt25

Commander

1988 at age 13. $4.50/hr working on a farm.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

0.88 Pence per hr as a labourer in the loading bay of an electric cooker/stove factory in Enfield,Middlesex,UK. thats approx 2 1/2 miles down the road from where the famous Lee Enfield rifle was made.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

busboy in a little NY corner bar/rest.<br />$2.35/hr<br /><br />funny... in '78 it went a whole lot further.

LadyFish

Admiral

My first job was a candy stripper, i can't remember how much it paid but believe it was less than $2 an hour. No matter the amount it was a fun job.

SoulWinner

Commander

1983, bagging groceries at the Piggly Wiggly. About $2.00/hr plus tips. Got fired after two weeks.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

gotta love those candy strippers...<br />Iboats beauty-queen won last year though.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> My first job was a candy stripper,
What did people do, put lollipops and candy bars in your g-string :eek: :eek: :eek:

Stratosfied

Ensign

Man down the street owned a Janitoral Service, we cleaned a 6 floor bank each night. Seems like I made $3.00 hr, back in 1979.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grounds keeper for an estate, $10 and an old wooden boat with a hole in the hull, all in exchange for a summer of hard work>

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Paper route when I was 11. $0.05/house once a week. I had 50 houses.<br /><br />After that, I washed dishes, floors, and ovens at the bakery up the street for $4.25/hour. <br /><br />Those were the good ol' days.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

$3/hr after school - general help at a Wine and Cheese shop in F'burg, VA...I was 14 soooo...1985.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

First venture all on my own was raising pigs, feeder's were bringing bout 93-96 cents lb at a 100 lbs. They havent been that high since...I must been 12yrs old.<br /><br />Before that it was selling sweet corn at a roadside stand but that was a family venture.

LadyFish

Admiral

One summer, I think I was 16, in order to make extra cash I peeled logs. $10 a log. The hardest physical job I ever had, but it was nice to be in the woods.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My first job was delivering newspapers when I was aged between 10 & 12 - got paid between $3 and $5 per week depending on how big the "paper run" was.<br /><br />A few years later I was playing in a pop/rock band which I formed with a few friends (playing Beatles, Eagles, Beach Boys covers etc). We played at dances and socials etc (made $30 to $40 a night each). I soon saved up enough cash to buy my first car at age 15 - an Austin A35... :rolleyes:

eeboater

Commander

1995 -- I worked in a shoe repair store. All the other students asked why I wanted to stick my hands in stinky shoes every day after school.<br /><br />It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Made great acquaintances. Established my political leaning. Learned a LOT about shoes. All $4.25 an hour (I think)<br /><br />Sean