What was your first job? How much did you get paid?

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
I worked in an auto garage one summer.<br /><br />Some of my jobs included:<br />- cleaning tools<br />- steam-clening the garage floor<br />- busting out glass at the base junkyard so the cars could be crushed<br /><br />I got about $3.25/hour. This was back in 1985.

NathanY

Commander
Re: What was your first job? How much did you get paid?

Worked for a grocery store from your area. Winn Dixie. Worked there all the way through highschool.

Dunaruna

Admiral

1974, 12 y/old. after school paper round, 1 cent per paper. Averaged about $20.00 per week.<br /><br />Aldo

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bagging Groceries, $2.70/hr

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

First real job was lawn maint., the summer before my senior high school year.. <br /><br />Trimming hedges, edging, and/or running weedeaters at about $5 an hour..

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Working at G.Fox dept store during high school making a ton of money at $2.01 a hour

Drowned Rat

Captain

Bowling lane machine "Pin chaser". $3.35/hr. I think. 1985. Still the best job I ever had. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

A way back in '64. I did pick-up detail work and clean up for a building contractor. It paid $2.00 cashola. I was in seventh heaven. Kids in other parts of the country were making 50 cent an hour. I was in paradise, 20 minutes from Malibu Beach.

Twidget

Commander

12 years old, after school paper route also, $60 a month.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Back in '77, picking produce, varied between $150 -$2.25 / hour, cash. Nobody really kept track, the boss just handed you some cash and said come back tomorrow at x o'clock.<br /><br />1978, Milwaukee County Stadium, stocking before, and cleaning after the Brewer games. $2.35/hr. Lots of hours. 40-70 per week. Hit 79 hours one week. Slept there 2 nights that week.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Selling the local newspaper on the street. One day a week. Usually made about $2.00. That was in 1947.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Other than lawn care type jobs my first was in a parts house. I made $3.25 an hour and this was in 89.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

My first "job", as I recall was selling magazines door to door. I can't remember making any money but I received a neatimmitation pearl handled pocket knife for my efforts. This was about 1939.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Got my first job in a bicycle repair shop, if I worked Mon to Friday and saturday and Sunday morning I got a whole $13-00

Homerr

Commander

Hmmm... <br /><br />My first 'real' job was working at Marlin Boats building fiberglass boats (as the name implies)<br /><br />I don't rememebr what I started at... Around $5/hr. I think.<br /><br />H.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Cutting weeds from a soybean feild. Got 2 hogs for cleaning up 40 acres.<br /><br />Hauled irrigation pipe for 4 dollars a day, just drove the tractor.<br /><br />Farm hand for 3.15.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Pouring sugar starch and eggs into buckets in the most unhygenic bakery I've ever been in for £2.30 an hour.The staff were so stupid that one of them had to add 2+1+1 on a piece of paper. Left after a week and they went bankrupt a year later.

gaugeguy

Captain

First paying job I had was tossing bales of hay into the back of the truck. I was either 10 or 11 and got $.05 per bale after we put it in the barn.

FSHKPR

Ensign

besides a paper route and various lawn cutting and snow shoveling jobs. my first real job was at kentucky fried chicken. $1.85 per hour and all the chicken you could eat. :D

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jerking sodas in a neighborhood drug store - 35¢ an hour. That was 1957 - thought I was the richest 13 yo around. :D