What type of water floats your boat

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm wondering how many of us boat in salt water compared to fresh water. Where I live, we're surrounded by sea water so that's the obvious choice, but recently I've been thinking about the advantages of boating in the lakes further south from here...

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What type of water floats your boat

Only fresh water lakes so far.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Only fresh water so far. The Ohio is right on the door step....really don't need to go to much further.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I live 12 miles inland from the Coast of the Gulf of Mexico, and about 10 miles from Lake Trafford and the Caloosahatchee River, which are fresh water.But it's probably more like 60 fresh,40 salt. I like fresh water better because it's easier to put the boat to bed afterwards.

ob

Admiral

Saltwater.Gulf of Mexico inland bays and lagoons mostly.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Salt's for fishing.. Fresh is for flushing out the salt, hence the "usually sea water" vote... :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

No oceans nearby, but I like to get out on the big pond every once and again. Usually fresh. :D

Bondo

Staff member

Lake Ontario is 8 miles.......<br />St. Lawrence River is 28........<br />But, I Still manage to splash my hull in Salt at least Once a year...............

SoulWinner

Commander

I like red fish and specs, thus I fish salt/brackish water mostly, but I fantasize myself as a great bass fisherman. Unfortunately the bass have me figured out and so I almost never catch them, so I mostly stick to salt/brackish water and bring home something to eat. Dang I wish bass were stupid!<br /><br />BTW, my boat, outboard, and trolling motor are all fresh water in design. There is something very wrong here.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Salt water for us, the old girl sits lower and behaves differently in fresh. But I do like it when there's no need to clean and grease everything afterwards!<br />Ross

FLATHEAD

Captain

Fresh water here. Have several nice lakes close by. The Chesapeak is not real far from me so who knows I might venture out there in the salt sometime.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Well, living on an off-shore island in the Atlantic Ocean, doesn't give me much choice as to the type of water I can boat in. <br /><br />Only 1 lake here big enough to boat in, and they don't allow boats of any kind in it! (Its polluted!)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Salt for us. We have the Gulf of Mexico about a mile south of us and Galveston Bay about 5 feet below the boat. :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

only fresh, though lk. ontario acts more like<br />an ocean at times with 10 foot swells.

KaGee

Admiral

Lake Erie Baby! Ditto MY on the "swells", I think Erie can be more treacherous. It's so unpredictable.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

yeah KG, lake erie is pretty shallow (100') and conditions<br />change much faster than ontario which is 600'.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I have a house on a big freshwater lake and boat mostly there... cruising, skiing, etc. But I'd much rather fish salt water and playing on the beach at the ocean beats fresh water anytime in my opinion. SW...saltwater fish taste so much better than bass... to me. Love redfish and speck, and snapper, and grouper, and , and, and. Of course a few freshwater bream, crappie, catfish fried up is pretty tasty too. Guess I just love to be near the water as most of us here do.

one more cast

Captain

My 16' aluminum came from the Chesapeake bay in MD but hasn't seen salt since I bought it.