What type of plywood should i use on my floor of my boat?

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to replace a hatch area on the floor of my center console boat. what type of plywood should i use and where can i get some. and what is the differance between pressure treated plywood and a marine type?? is it available at home depot or lowes? i just need one sheet, and what does it typically cost ?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: What type of plywood should i use on my floor of my boat?

rj....I'm not a wood person but I have used pressure treated ply for hatches and such. I give it several coats of a good sealer like Thompsons' first before I cover. I've done this several times with no complaints. The price is variable depending on thickness and such. Course it goes up and down depending on where ya' get it to.

Homerr

Commander

You can use exterior grade plywood and coat it with a good resin like epoxy or polyurethane.<br />I'm using exterior grade for my floor, and several coats of resin.<br /><br />The difference between regular and marine grade is that the marine grade doesn't have as many voids inside of it, and they use different glue (so I'm told anyway) <br />Some would argue that the glue is exactly the same, but the voids are different.<br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain

exterior ply an marine ply have the exact same waterproof glue..<br /><br />marine ply has no voids.<br /><br />exterior ply has voids goin' from <br /><br />b-c the worst to<br /><br /> a-a the best ( an probably no voids ) but pritnear impossiable to find..<br /><br />a-b bein' good stuff an available only at real lumber yards.. an twice less cost of marine..<br /><br />one more differance,, marine ,,the ' plys'<br />are oriantated at 45 deg. angles ..rather then stra8 linear with the lenght .. as per much stiffer plywood...

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks fer makin' me a little smarter crab bait!

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all the info guys. i am going get me a sheet today !!