What type of knots should I be using for ?

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last year was my 1st boating year. I had lots of fun and I am looking foreword for the next one.
Being an novice on all ''boating environnement'' I have lost 2 fenders and my anchor.

The fenders that was in the boat (18ft) when bought was the type you insert the fender line throught the fender, I have made a regular knot (to small probably because I lost two. But this is history because I bought 3 new Taylor Made Inflatable Vinyl Fender with 2 holes.

What type of knot should I be using to make sure I don't lose them again?

Also for my lost anchor, I need to knot what type of knot you guys are using ?
Must I have a 6 feet chain beetween the anchor and line ?

thank you
Louis

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What type of knots should I be using for ?

3 ft of chain will do. Its purpose is to weigh the head of the anchor down so that it is more likely to grip the bottom.

As for knots tying the rope to the chain - I use the same knot that I use to tie a fishing hook onto fishing line. That way it only tightens if pulled tighter

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi there Louis.

The best (strongest and most unlikely to come undone) is a tracer eight. It's the same knot as a figure eight on a bight, but you have to run it through the hole in the fender, so you "trace" it. This site >> http://www.adventurecarolina.com/climbingknot.html#Figure Eight re-trace shows how to tie it and it calls it a figure eight re-trace. A simpler, and almost as good, knot is a bowline. Bowlines don't look nearly as nice as a figure eight, but it will do the job.

Use the same knot on your anchor. You can use a shackle between the rope and the chain to avoid having to trace a figure eight knot.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree on the tracer (I was taught "follow me" knot) . . . Bowlines are what I use for fenders and anchor lines, they are quick for me, but I may switch to the tracer as it is prettier. My favorite knot for boating happens to be a clove hitch. This link claims that clove hitches slip and can bind, and I was taught that they do neither. If you need to adjust height or length when tied to a rail or post, such as hanging fenders, there is nothing better . . .

Drowned Rat

Captain

Agree on the tracer (I was taught "follow me" knot) . . . Bowlines are what I use for fenders and anchor lines, they are quick for me, but I may switch to the tracer as it is prettier. My favorite knot for boating happens to be a clove hitch. This link claims that clove hitches slip and can bind, and I was taught that they do neither. If you need to adjust height or length when tied to a rail or post, such as hanging fenders, there is nothing better . . .

That's funny QC, the clove hitch is my favorite knot too. They're cool because they totally don't look like they would hold anything. And they're fast.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I use bowlines on my fenders. The amount of chain on your anchor setup depends on the conditions you anchor in. If you're in a calm lake, you could get by with none. Around here, 17-20' LOA, 6' works great and none would employ you chasing your boat around and playing with your anchor all day. The line should be spliced to the chain (stronger than a knot) and then the chain is shackled to the anchor.

ziggy

Admiral

i use an anchor bend for my anchor knot. and a cluster knot for my fenders...... cluster meaning whatever works..... i use old life jacket straps so i just snap the fender on and off the rails.... the bowline is my favorite for non slip.... another knot web site for ya.....

"http://www.animatedknots.com/indexboating.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com"

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Go to Yahoo enter boatig knots, & have a ball.
Also take a "USCGAUX" course learn a bunch, and be a safer boater.

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you for all the links and comments (great stuff)
I now have lots of reading and practicing on how to make knots.
Louis

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I prefer an eye splice for connecting rope to chain when making a an anchor rode, unless using a windlass. Eye splices are easier to make than you'd think, and look great.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For a non-slip knot that is easy to untie but won't untie itself I prefer the bowline.