What To Get?

Dahlia45

Cadet
I am looking for a boat that can go on the lake, river (deep rivers), and ocean. Being in Texas, we have access to all 3! So I am really at a loss as to what we can buy that we can use on all 3? I see the motor boats with the cuddy? cabins. The pontoon boats. John Boats. Sail Boats. Electric motors. Gas motors. I need it to fit 4 people and a dog. Id like to stay a couple days on it. But im looking for something very basic. Nothing fancy. Something we can jump off of and swim. Something to fish off of.
What do you all recommend?

matt167

Captain
A 25’ C dory should fit that bill. They are self bailing, no frills rough water pilot house cruisers

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Any boat can do all three, boils down to comfort under the prevailing conditions.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Lake, river and ocean implies that you will trailer the boat? If so, a 25 footer will be a drag to trailer each day.

I would think a 21 foot deck boat or dual console, with outboard power, would be a good choice. It will go most anywhere on the lake, will have no issue on the river, and if you stay within 3 miles of the coast, on a nice day the ocean will be fine for it. It will also be much easier to trailer.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, 3 miles here in NJ is the limit that you can legally fish for Striped Bass. 3.1 miles and the Feds could get you.

All kidding aside, if you are simply going for a ride, 3 miles is plenty far out. If it gets ugly, you can get back to shore is 10 minutes or so.

If you want to fish at a 5 mile out wreck or something, and the weather is nice, it will be fine. However, if the OP wants to consistently venture out further, a 21 footer is too small.

If he gets a larger boat, it will be a PIA to trailer on a daily basis and is overkill for a lake.

Just my opinion.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Who is able to do all the different things ? You or someone else ? Budget ? Cost for trailerr Who will back up and unload a towing truck ? Who will drive boat on & off the trailer ? Back boat on trailer down busy ramps ?

southkogs

Staff member
What it sounds to me like "might" fit for you - and a lot of this boils down to personal taste - is a walk-around cuddy.
1716903336648.png
Four people and a dog could be comfortable on it. Good for fishing, cruising or anchoring up and enjoying the water. Two people could spend a night or two on some of them, but it's not going to be a boat you spend several days on ... or are particularly comfortable in even overnight.

It would feel big on the lake, but would handle the ocean well enough.

It'd be a learning curve for a newbie. But I would encourage you to find someone to give you some good lessons anyway.

Dahlia45

Cadet
Thank You All! So yes! This will be our first boat! I have thought about lessons. Especially for sailing. It will be mainly my husband and I with the dog. Kiddos and family will join us on occasion. But that will be for short periods of time. Hubby and I will probably do the short overnighter here and there. And yes we will be trailer hauling it. Thankfully everything is within a 3 hr drive from us.
Ill check out what you all mentioned. Thank You!

southkogs

Staff member
For sailing, I recommend starting small and working your way up. A 16' sloop rig will be a great way to learn (but it won't do well for four people and a dog). Once you're comfortable sailing, then you could work your way up into something larger.

Sailboat will not do too well on the rivers (for a few reasons), but will be fine on lakes and the ocean.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Been a boat owner and operator for over 60 years, never found one boat that will do it all ! Because of that, whatever you get will become a disappointment in time because there will be to many "it doesn't do this or that" like I want it to....Are you willing to drop 60-70K for a tow vehicle on top of the boat cost ? When it comes to boating, the word "budget" doesn't mean much..... BOAT.. means "break out another thousand".....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
All kidding aside, if you are simply going for a ride, 3 miles is plenty far out. If it gets ugly, you can get back to shore is 10 minutes or so.
I'm guessing you mean 3 miles from the inlet, not the beach since you could be 2 miles off the beach yet 15 miles from "safe harbor".

Well, that's no fun.
Where is your sense of adventure?

Now, timing the arrival of cold fronts while Striper fishing in early winter can get interesting. Have stayed a bit to long on the number of occasions over the years. Lived to tell the story, but just barely...lol

aspeck

Staff member
For the last several months you have been looking and seem to kind of be all over the place trying to figure out what you want. I actually admire the fact that you haven't "jumped" into something you will regret but are refining your search to find out what works best for you. Have you considered renting some different types of boats to find out if you really liked boating and what kind of boat fits your and your husband's lifestyle best. You seem to have moved up from a 14 footer to something a little larger. You will probably be trailering said boat, so it can't be too big. You want something reliable that you can swim, fish, boat, and lay out in the sun on. And you want to be in lakes, rivers, and ocean. It was for just 2 people and now it seems to be for up to 4 people. None of this is bad, but you are covering a lot of territory!

Do you have a budget? How much experience boating do you and your husband have? I remember you said you had a machine shop so you could manufacture parts, but how much mechanical and repair abilities do you and your husband have and how much time do you have in fixing/modifying a boat?

These are just some questions to help us all help you in giving you advice. Nothing that you have said has been wrong or bad, I am just trying to clarify. Personally, I have been boating for almost 60 years and spent about 5 years as an inland waterways licensed captain of a 60 foot tour boat. Understand we just want to help you clarify your needs/wants so you can get as close to what you need the first time. Just be aware that whatever you get, in a few years you will know more clearly what you want and it will probably be about 2 feet longer than what you will first get! That is called two footitis! It is a common malady in boating circles ... it is very contagious! You have been warned! LOL!

pgandw

Cadet
For sailing, generally 18-20ft is about right for 2 for an overnight, and room for 4 in the cockpit. Anything bigger, and trailering and mast stepping and rigging gets to be a PITA every time you want to go sailing. Anything less, and stability for comfortable sailing becomes an issue.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

BWR1953

Admiral
I've always said that "A man needs 3 boats." One for skinny water like flats or small river fishing. Another, bigger boat for regular lakes. And a 3rd one for big water like oceans, gulf, or the great lakes.

And I almost got there myself. 🤪

I currently have 4 boats. One is a donor and will be scrapped soon. I have the big "Gulf" boat (Chieftain), a mid-size lake boat (Mirrocraft) and the skinny water boat (Kingfisher.)

The Gulf boat is a project which is unfinished and I now have for sale.
The mid-size lake boat will become my "only" boat.
The skinny water boat will be sold.

Over time and experience, I realized that I truly need only one boat which will work for what I do most of the time. And my health isn't going to let me do major projects anymore, so I'm downsizing back to just one boat so that I can actually use it in whatever time I have left. 🙃

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Get one of those 26' MACGREGOR sailboats.-----They are equipped with water tank for ballast when sailing.-----They are big and roomy.----They usually come with a 50 HP outboard and will plane off at about 20 miles / hr.-----I have seen a few of them.----Buddy had one because wife liked the " loo " on board.-----They are not a good sailboat.----They are not a good power boat.----They are not a good camper.----But it will do all 3.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in one thread you ask about a 14 foot, in another you wanted to put a camper on a boat.

as other stated, I would rent a few boats, find what you like.

a simple boat for lakes and rivers will be an aluminum boat with an outboard

big water will require a bigger boat, most likely fiberglass.

4 people and a dog will fit in an 18-20 foot boat.

4 people overnighting will require something in the 24 foot + range. my 26 foot boat will sleep two. however haul 8 people or 2 people and 3 dogs comfortably.

It comes down to your budget.

My boat is 36 going on 37 years old. it has had a fair amount of work to keep it going. I have over 5 years in the restoration thread in my signature. That is a lot of cash and a whole lot more sweat.

to replace it with a new boat would cost me more than $200k with todays insane prices.

Dahlia45

Cadet
Yes!It has changed. It may change as I research. I looked for my jeep for over year. Longer with my travel trailer. I need to make sure what I get fits my needs. Picking and choosing wants and needs as well! LOL! Having anyone other than myself, my husband and dog will be rare.
And I am thinking ya alls idea is right. Rent and check it out. I believe we will be out at the lake in the next month. Great idea! Ill keep you all updated!

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You bothneed to go to every boat show and sit and walk around the boats available. THAT WILL eliminate a Massive amount of boats ...AND... what is not acceptable to both of you. NOW you have information to go looking at and sitting in used boats. Test rides ARE ALWAYS REQUIRED in any interesting boat !!!!!!!!!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or do not buy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!