What to do?

I have a dilema? I am working on my fourth outboard in 6 years. I will leave the reasons to crooked people and bad mechanics. What I am now looking at is whether to rebuild my 1985 Evinrude 175hp at about 3000.00 or buy a used 1996 Yamaha 150hp with no warranty. I am going to check out the compression, is there any other thing I should be looking at on the Yamaha? Which way should I go. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What to do?

Now don't take this the wrong way but could it be that you are unfairly pointing fingers at others when it was you that made bad purchasing decisions. People generally sell things for one of two reasons. 1) the item is simply defective in any number of ways, or 2) they really no longer have a use for the item and it is indeed in servicable condition. You simply cannot take anyones word for anything any more regardless of circumstances so it is only you that looks out for you. "Only needs a tune up" means it runs like crap and is likely worn out. That's just one example. Unless you do the homework or hire someone to check these things for you, it is only you to blame. As for service work, there are bad doctors, dentists, and mechanics. Again -- guess who is responsible for finding a reputable one. But since there are two sides to every story we will have to believe yours. Since you seem to have bad luck buying used, why not bite the bullet and have the engine you have rebuilt, including carbs, by a "reputable builder" so you know what you have. Buying another used engine of unknown condition is a shot in the dark at best.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I say get the Yamaha.
I've read too many posts from guys on several forums where their rebuilt motors didn't last long.
Find a good mechanic and have him check it out.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe it is time to add another thought. Finance a new engine, with a reasonable sized down payment you could have reasonable monthly payments. The added bonus is you will have the warranty for a time and you know what kind of condition everything is in to start. It sounds like you have dropped a bunch of bucks and have nothing to show for it. I am a mechanic so this would not be my path but there are situations where it can be the reasonable answer for someone who is not getting to enjoy their boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Mike: I say rebuild, but not for 3000 bucks.

What you need to do is find someone like me close to you: A guy who does it for the hobby, not a living, and is proud of his workmanship.

For example: being a 6 or 8 cylinder engine, I would charge 600 for labor plus any parts needed. Obviously if you wanted or needed all cylinders overbored, it would cost more in parts. So at 125 per piston and 50-60 bucks per cylinder to overbore, you figure the price. Then add 50-60 bucks for a gasket set, and 30 for a water pump impeller and you would have a reasonable estimate of cost.

When someone comes to me, I pull the heads in front of them and show them what problems they have. I give them a reasonable estimate of cost. If they elect to have me rebuild, after assembly, I take them out on the water to run the engine with them, set the timing, and set the carbs. When they taker the boat home, we both know it is running correctly. I don't even ask--I tell them I will change the water pump impeller and lower unit oil. If I find a problem I notify them of extra work recommended. I do not have the tools to diagnose electrical ignition problems and I tell people this up front. If they have that problem, they must go elsewhere.

The Professional mechanic must pay for his overhead and make a decent salary so he must charge you more. Add to that the fact that he is usually swamped with repairs and you must wait for yours, sometimes excessively.

What you need to do is ask around your area for talented amateurs who have an excellent reputation. WE ARE OUT THERE, you just need to find us. I don't advertise, my rebuilds are from word-of-mouth for the most part. Usually I do a couple a year; this year it has been hectic with three rebuilds already and probably a few more as the season opens here in the East. More than I really want to do, but sometimes I hate to say no.

Ask your local bass club. Those guys are relatively rough on engines and would probably know a good rebuilder. If you find the right person, it will be a win-win situation.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I take issue with the statement that rebuilt engines don't last long. That is utter nonsense. Many rebuilds go bad because the rebuilder didn't determine what it was that caused the failure in the first place. The current trend is to blame ethanol blended fuel. Prior to this it was the oil injection system. There are many things that cause engine failure and the two just mentioned are quite low on the list. Operator error is at the top of the list. Wrong prop causing engine overspeed or engine lugging is another. Overheat conditions is another. Seal leaks that cause vacuum leaks are another. gummed up carbs causing lean running are another. So unless the rebuilder actually does a thorough analysis of the problem and corrects ALL issues, there is a fair chance the owner will be making a return trip.

CATransplant

Admiral

Some folks should probably buy new outboards. I know that sounds strange, but it's true. If you're having problems with all the outboards you've owned, it may be that you're one of those folks. With a new outboard, you start off with a warranty, so whatever goes wrong gets fixed.

Then, when the warranty runs out, sell it or trade it in and buy another new one. It may work out that, in the long run, it will cost you less money.

Owning 13-20 year old anything with an internal combustion engine in it is a crapshoot. If you can repair problems yourself, you'll probably do OK. If not, then when things break, you pay someone $75-100 per hour to fix it, plus the always expensive parts.

Outboards are like cars, in that they have internal combustion engines and all sorts of other mechanical parts in them. If you drive cars the same years as your outboard, then you'll probably be happy with an older one, as long as you can do the repairs yourself. If not, buy a new one and take advantage of the warranty.