What to do with an old fiberglass hull?

Lonecat

Cadet
I have a 1965 15' fiberglass runabout boat that is actually in great condition for as old as it is. The hull though is faded and is chalking quite a bit ( if anyone can explain what that chalking is, please do). I'm just wondering what you would recommend doing to bring back the life of the fiberglass? I am new to fiberglass, so I'm a little confused if I need to add a new gel coat or not?

chevymaher

Commander
Chalking is oxidation which is Gel Coats version of rusting. Sand and buff a spot to see if it comes back to life. Gel coat is pretty good stuff and thick. If it isnt cracking it can be buffed out.

Real issue is what is on the inside under the deck. Are the transom and stringers okay?

Lonecat

Cadet
The Transom and stringers seem to be in great shape, hell the boat still has the original seats and they don't have a single rip in them. The carpet is crap because someone tried replacing it wrong.

I started to wipe a spot on the hull with a cloth and it seems to look quite white/clean underneath the chalk.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looks can be deceiving!!! The only way to know for sure is to core sample ALL wood components in your boat. She's 53 years Old. It's time for a complete physical!!!;)

Lonecat

Cadet
Guess she is getting up there in age ;)
Will probably have my friend do it, considering he has core sampled his boats last year