What thinketh the membership here..... Useful or just hype

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Regardless of how many people go out with me, I inevitably end up launching and recovering solo. I saw this on Facebook, and it has be intrigued, as it would seemingly allow the boat to remain "attached" to the trailer while I get in/out during the launch/recovery procedure. I dont care for just hoping the boat stays put while I try and get the winch hooked up so it doesnt float off on its own adventure.....

ScottinAZ

Bunk trailer. Keep in mind I am a LOT of ballast at 350 pounds or so…. The boat jumps about an inch or so out of the water when I get out……

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I load my 26 foot by myself on a bunk trailer. Just walk it up the dock, clip on and winch up the last foot

The key is knowing how far to back the trailer in

ScottinAZ

I load my 26 foot by myself on a bunk trailer. Just walk it up the dock, clip on and winch up the last foot

The key is knowing how far to back the trailer in
thats the ideal, and how I have been doing our 15 footer. The issue is, the bottom is VERY slippery on the ramp (I fell on my ass a few times last year) and some of the ramps do not have a courtesy dock right next to them where you can just walk it over. I tend to avoid those ramps, but they do have "other" amenities that we like at those ramps (like better parking, and cleaner shithouses)..... The wife doesnt drive, and will not drive the boat, so its a one man band for me.... We do have a trolling motor for ease of maneuverability off the main engine, but was looking to see if there was a safer/easier way to do it. Powerloading/unloading is the ideal, but I also hesitate to come in too fast to the trailer..... but thats just me

airshot

Rear Admiral
Getting the trailer set right and at the right depth next to the dock, then power load, but I keep the engine tilted so no washout and low power is all I need. Even my roller trailer will hold the boat, then reach over and snap the winch strap onto bow eye. If I have someone with me, I will have them snap on the winch strap to make them feel helpfull.....then step over the side onto the dock. Give the winch a crank or two and drive up to parking lot.
I have a SC model so reaching over the bow is easy, but climbing over onto the trailer is not. For that reason, a dock is a must for me at 74....I

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Getting the trailer set right and at the right depth next to the dock, then power load, but I keep the engine tilted so no washout and low power is all I need. Even my roller trailer will hold the boat, then reach over and snap the winch strap onto bow eye. If I have someone with me, I will have them snap on the winch strap to make them feel helpfull.....then step over the side onto the dock. Give the winch a crank or two and drive up to parking lot.
I have a SC model so reaching over the bow is easy, but climbing over onto the trailer is not. For that reason, a dock is a must for me at 74....I
That auto loader looks like it wants to eat fingers.
I load my sc the same way but I leave it in gear while I lean over the bow to hook it. Currently a bunk trailer. 99.9% my ol' roller would stick but the .1 it didnt, I fell forward and got a good whack in the chin from the winch. Stays in gear now. lol

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i looked at those extensively and for the right boat i would love it. I too do the loading and launching and some of the same challenges as you list.

I emailed the mfg and they recommended I NOT buy it due to my bow rake is fairly vertical. I did see on a bunch of reviews/youtube/etc that they are best suited for bass boats with a quite horizontal rake tot he bow rise.

tpenfield

Staff member
IMO and based on experience, a boat rarely goes on the trailer straight enough to intercept the bow stop as shown in the video.

So, the bow eye is likely to miss the catch mechanism and you'll be winching the boat on anyways.

Launching would be fine, but that is the easy part.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Guessing they are not standard due to the extra cost, but “target bunks” and “goal post” make loading a bunk trailer a very simple process.

The target bunks center and hold the bow in position while the “goal posts” centers and holds the rear of the boat over the trailer.

From that point, I can drive on, float on using bow rope or simply back the trailer under the boat, connect winch strap and drive away.

airshot

Rear Admiral
That auto loader looks like it wants to eat fingers.
I load my sc the same way but I leave it in gear while I lean over the bow to hook it. Currently a bunk trailer. 99.9% my ol' roller would stick but the .1 it didnt, I fell forward and got a good whack in the chin from the winch. Stays in gear now. lol
I agree whole heartedly, have had the same thing happen more than once...guess I should have learned the first time !! The ramp I use is very protected from currents and wind, so in gear is not often needed. Have had it roll back off the trailer on a few ocassions and had to reload, then I leave it in gear until winch strap is connected. I looked at the auto loaders and mabey someday, but for now, I can' t justify the expense when I really don't need it. Others may have loading issues that justify the cost....

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
A very simple addition we used on our old E-Z Loader trailer were non-skid strips along the frame where you might step during loading. It probably saved my teeth at some point.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and boat2trailer is a knock off of the original if that matters to you.

SkaterRace

I've been looking at something like this for most of the winter. I really want one because I go solo boating most of the time with a 21ft center console which I am unable to reach the boweye from inside the boat and the launch I go to has no way for me to get to it other than over the bow and down the winch post which hurts sometimes when I fall

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would ALWAYS have a bow chain connected !!
BUT BUT the automatic released at 60 mph. Not me !!